News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on March 21, 2018, 10:34:54 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 21, 2018, 10:00:38 PM
So against my better judgement, I have enrolled in 6 classes, each of which seems to involve a monstrous amount of reading and work. I shall have to write an epitaph for my Free Time soon.

Silver; That is a load even if two of the six are about elementary underwater basket weaving.  I will pray for you.....to the FSM of course.

Thanks, Icarus! :grin:

It seems I have made myself a pair of wings and probably flew too close to the sun. Perhaps I will plummet to my death, perhaps not.

(I do love being overly dramatic! :P)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Quote from: Icarus on March 21, 2018, 10:30:04 PM
Buddy the Mini is a cute little machine that is criminally overpriced.

I have no illusions about changing your mind....... however.......Consider a Subau Imprezza.  It is much more reliable, has a better safety record, gets good gas mileage, and costs far less than the ostentatious Mini. Something on the order of ten grand less.  Not only that but the Subaru is an all wheel drive vehicle that will be an advantage in bad weather like snow, ice, or thunderstorm.  You could drive it into the horse pasture and conceivably drive it back out.  Try that with a Mini.

OK....OK you are stoked with the Mini.  Not the smartest vehicle to buy but if it satisfies a passion....you gotta do what you gotta do.

In a feeble effort at humor, here is a limerick about tiny cars............... ::)

There was an old man from Boston
He traded his Ford for an Austin
He had room for his ass and a gallon of gas
But his balls hung out and he lost 'em. 

I appreciate the input Icarus. I do have my heart set on another MINI though. I've been driving my moms 2016 Chevrolet Silverado and I miss the speed and handling of my car. They are so much fun to drive and with all the safety specs that BMW added they really are just as good as any other car on the road. I've never had any problems with a FWD in the snow that we get up here. Plus I've made so many friends and have a blast with the Mini clubs in my area.

I did do some research and the F series MINIs don't have the reliability issues that previous generations had so I think I'll be okay.

I guess I should add that I don't pay sticker price. I get invoice pricing for being a member of the area Mini club as well as a discount because my previous car is a Mini. It knocks a few grand off the price.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 21, 2018, 09:20:00 PM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on March 21, 2018, 07:17:11 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on March 21, 2018, 06:14:17 PM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on March 21, 2018, 06:01:07 PM
That car looks kool Buddy, and hopefully you'll just be transferring that awesome license plate you have from the old vehicle to the new one!

I would like to see the plate - I must have missed it if you posted a picture of it before.

It's really cool.

Buddy actually had a contest here at HAF for someone to come up with a personalized plate for her new car (Mini-Cooper), winners submission was taken to the DMV.

I forget who won, but they must have been really smrt, as the winning plate design was extremely witty.

I remember who won...I thought we'd never hear the end of it, just like what happened in the case of the number of views on a 'balls' thread a while back.  ::)

;D

Thanks. I don't remember that contest, but it was probably before my time.

Believe it or not, my last car had the licence plate HERMES. I know if I post a photo of it, I will be exposing myself to cruel ridicule from everyone here.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 21, 2018, 10:36:25 PM
Quote from: Dave on March 21, 2018, 10:28:26 PM
Give me a flagon of red wine, a book of verses, a loaf of bread, and a little idleness. If with such store I might sit by thy dear side in some lonely place, I should deem myself happier than a king in his kingdom.

I love that!  ;D

:notsure: Though...what kind of bread are we talking about here? Hopefully wholesome wheat bread or something grainy... :grin:

Crusty olive bread for my preference.

Not sure if it was unleaven bread for old Omar. He lived in an age before some Islamic spoilsport declared alcohol haram, "forbidden". Interesting man, not only for his poetry.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khayyam
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Buddy

I just found out that I can get on HAF from work  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Buddy you may be able to access HAF from work but if you are discovered to be fraternizing with evil heathens....you are toast. 

Buddy

Quote from: Icarus on March 24, 2018, 12:48:16 AM
Buddy you may be able to access HAF from work but if you are discovered to be fraternizing with evil heathens....you are toast.

My coworkers are actually non religious! As if this job couldn't get better.

xSilverPhinx

I'm looking for distractions instead of focusing on finishing my project, which has to be sent to the Ethics Committee this month. :whistling:

Why is this forum so slow on Sunday?

jumbojak

What sort of distractions do you seek?! A trifling joke, funny picture, deep and meaningful philosophical discussion? Let me know and I'll see what I can do...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 25, 2018, 11:05:50 PM
What sort of distractions do you seek?! A trifling joke, funny picture, deep and meaningful philosophical discussion? Let me know and I'll see what I can do...

Anything!

:notsure: That probably came off as desperate, but I am bored out of my wits, so...

jumbojak

You gotta give me some direction. I'm a wizard, not a miracle worker.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 25, 2018, 11:13:03 PM
You gotta give me some direction. I'm a wizard, not a miracle worker.

Ok, have you got any funny pictures?  :P

jumbojak

I just saw a really hilarious on... flamingos on a Tźrex fossil. Clever caption too. ;)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 25, 2018, 11:15:55 PM
I just saw a really hilarious on... flamingos on a Tźrex fossil. Clever caption too. ;)

Heh yeah, Facebook can offer some comedy gems every now and then!  ;D