News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on May 03, 2017, 04:20:11 PM
^^
Wow, Tank! You must be so proud of him.  :tellmemore:

Yes indeed, sounds like a wonderful guy...good thing he takes after his mum! 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Wow indeed, a very highly qualified brake technician! Or dies he actually design the stoppy bits! They are only gojng to employ those really capable in that sport.

After seeing some IR images of racing car brakes on a test rig I can see where his high temp expertise might be handy!

Not a bad idea to grab the money and get the worldly experience whilst you can, gaining technical experience at the same time - sounds like win-win-win to me.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on May 03, 2017, 06:41:13 PM
Wow indeed, a very highly qualified brake technician! Or dies he actually design the stoppy bits! They are only gojng to employ those really capable in that sport.

After seeing some IR images of racing car brakes on a test rig I can see where his high temp expertise might be handy!

Not a bad idea to grab the money and get the worldly experience whilst you can, gaining technical experience at the same time - sounds like win-win-win to me.
Apparently the art of the breaking game is cooling. The carbon disks have a narrow effective temperature window. Andrew spends a lot of time on computer models of the break inlet and exit ducts shaping them to suit each track. It has to be a compromise between under cooling on the twisty bits an over cooling on long straights. The last thing you want is a car arriving at full speed down a 1/2 mile straight into a hair pin and finding the breaks are so cold they don't work!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dragonia

Yesterday evening I spent a few hours with 150 Vietnam veterans. There wasn't enough time to pay my respects to all of them of course, but it was very moving and awe-inspiring listening to some of their stories. I have a deep love and appreciation for soldiers, past and present.
I realize that a man or woman isn't a hero just because they are a soldier, but so many of them really do have a brave hero's heart and these survivors really exemplify that. I had to cry a little bit once I got to my car. Lots of big feelings tend to grip my heart when it comes to matters of sacrifice and bravery and brotherhood.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Icarus

^ Thank you for that Dragonia. 

Tank

My wife received a first edition of her book today. Only one problem. It's the translation into Greek so she can't read it!!!

Dave

Quote from: Tank on May 05, 2017, 08:45:58 PM
My wife received a first edition of her book today. Only one problem. It's the translation into Greek so she can't read it!!!

Hey, what's this book then?

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on May 05, 2017, 08:50:14 PM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perspectives-Play-Learning-Avril-Brock-ebook/dp/B00ID6P3XM

Dave

Quote from: Tank on May 05, 2017, 09:21:49 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on May 05, 2017, 08:50:14 PM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perspectives-Play-Learning-Avril-Brock-ebook/dp/B00ID6P3XM

Excellent! Play is such an important factor in development. The history of play, even of toys, tells a lot about the development of cultures. Tried to get hold of a copy of "An Anglo-Saxon Childhood", a very rare book so the library that had it would not lend it!

Play is also an important part of discovery, I think some of the best scientists and resesrch engineers never fully grew up in some respects!

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 06, 2017, 03:45:45 AM

:chin: True dat.

Yes, bloody yes!

Used to have a tee-shirt,

Death?
Been there
Didn't fancy it
Came back.

Wore and washed it so much the letters faded. Must get another one printed.

A commercially made one has a pair of jump-leads forming a heart shape with "Jump starts not needed" within it. Ref to implanted defibrillator. Kept for occasional hospital stays.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on May 03, 2017, 07:15:27 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on May 03, 2017, 06:41:13 PM

Apparently the art of the breaking game is cooling. The carbon disks have a narrow effective temperature window. Andrew spends a lot of time on computer models of the break inlet and exit ducts shaping them to suit each track. It has to be a compromise between under cooling on the twisty bits an over cooling on long straights. The last thing you want is a car arriving at full speed down a 1/2 mile straight into a hair pin and finding the breaks are so cold they don't work!

Do they do anything to get them up to operating temperature before the race? I'm picturing power braking in a fashion similar to drag slick burnouts or a mechanic with a torch, like Smokey Yunick heating his oil can in the pits.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on May 06, 2017, 04:09:03 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 06, 2017, 03:45:45 AM

:chin: True dat.

Yes, bloody yes!

Used to have a tee-shirt,

Death?
Been there
Didn't fancy it
Came back.

Wore and washed it so much the letters faded. Must get another one printed.

A commercially made one has a pair of jump-leads forming a heart shape with "Jump starts not needed" within it. Ref to implanted defibrillator. Kept for occasional hospital stays.

:lol: I love those!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

"It is a waste of energy to be angry with a man who behaves badly, just as it is to be angry with a car that won't go. The difference is that you can compel your car to go to a garage, but you cannot compel Hitler to go to a psychiatrist." — Bertrand Russell

Can anyone suggest the name of a current president to substitute above?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames