News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

My Dad got me a necklace that said something about God and his son and explaining the metaphor for father's and their son. I guess he doesn't get I'm an athiest. I guess I should tell him.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Arturo on May 02, 2017, 04:19:18 AM
My Dad got me a necklace that said something about God and his son and explaining the metaphor for father's and their son. I guess he doesn't get I'm an athiest. I guess I should tell him.

Some people will need to be told several times.  As often as I reminded him, I'm not sure my granddad ever really grasped the idea of my atheism.  Or maybe he thought that if he ignored it, it would go away. 

By all means tell him if you're in a position to do it safely, just be aware it's unlikely to be a case of one and done.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 02, 2017, 07:39:00 AM
Quote from: Arturo on May 02, 2017, 04:19:18 AM

Some people will need to be told several times.  As often as I reminded him, I'm not sure my granddad every really grasped the idea of my atheism.  Or maybe he thought that if he ignored it, it would go away. 

By all means tell him if you're in a position to do it safely, just be aware it's unlikely to be a case of one and done.
Some people simply do not listen to or hear that which goes against their own wants.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

My son has the most ironic job in all of motor sport.
He is responsible for the breaks on the McLaren Honda.
:(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on May 02, 2017, 12:36:11 PM

Er, is that really "breaks", like he is the reason it going kaput?
[Sorry, Tank, couldn't resist!   :grin:  ] 

But if you meant "brakes" they could be said to be more important to life than the engine!

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on May 02, 2017, 01:35:28 PM

But if you meant "brakes" they could be said to be more important to life than the engine!
You really really should not pick anybody up on their spelling should you?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Tank on May 02, 2017, 06:18:42 PM

:redface:

[My tupis arr nit speoling erroz byt tupong ines]

Anyway, your son has got to be top notch at his job for a responsibility like that - and a real team player.

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on May 02, 2017, 06:30:40 PM

Anyway, your son has got to be top notch at his job for a responsibility like that - and a real team player.
I have never been able to spell or write neatly. Spell checkers give me a chance to get most things right. I have to really work at homophones. You weren't to know. Andrew, my son, is doing his bit but the Honda engine is way down on power and seriously unreliable.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on May 02, 2017, 07:54:49 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on May 02, 2017, 06:30:40 PM

I have never been able to spell or write neatly. Spell checkers give me a chance to get most things right. I have to really work at homophones. You weren't to know. Andrew, my son, is doing his bit but the Honda engine is way down on power and seriously unreliable.

Had an English instructor in college like that, she noted that an assignment of mine had, "grest incite"! And an archarologist friend with a Cambridge PhD is very dyslexic down to character level "5" and "S" give her probs. They give me probs as well because the very central part of my vision is fuzzy, ditto "a" and "e" etc. I also have "floaters" that end up in the visual centre when I am in my normal reading pose - OK when looking level.

Hoping to get some eye surgery before October, the hospital optometrist admits she cannot improve my prescription and it may be due to early cataracts. But, there may be other things, unless I hold the book, tablet, Kindle or whatever leaning about 5 degrees to the left I see slightly double. Typing errors are the same on tablet or laptop, seem to hit the key next to where I want unless I type very slowly and carefully, looking at the key before I go for it! I still miss even then sometimes . . .

Bloody nuisance but does not seem to affect my navigation or normal handling of even small items, can still sew a button on without random stabs at the little holes! :) Perhaps there is a condition called "visual dyskeyboardia"? Or could be "butter fingeria"?

Icarus

Gloucester, I believe that you would be best served by visiting an opthalmologist, not an optometrist.  Cataracts are routinely treatable and the difference between ones vision acuity is astounding when the cataract is gone.  The biggest thing for me was the incredible improvement in night vision without the damned cataract.  I had that surgical procedure 18 years ago on my left eye. It is still delivering remarkably good performance. The right eye is still not cursed with any significant sign of cataract. I do consider myself undeservedly fortunate for having a ton of good luck.

Here's hoping that you can find a way to get some improvements for your vision.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on May 03, 2017, 06:19:05 AM

:this:

:sadnod:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

That is ironic.  :chin:

He must be very good at it...probably gets it from you.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on May 03, 2017, 06:19:05 AM
Gloucester, I believe that you would be best served by visiting an opthalmologist, not an optometrist.  Cataracts are routinely treatable and the difference between ones vision acuity is astounding when the cataract is gone.  The biggest thing for me was the incredible improvement in night vision without the damned cataract.  I had that surgical procedure 18 years ago on my left eye. It is still delivering remarkably good performance. The right eye is still not cursed with any significant sign of cataract. I do consider myself undeservedly fortunate for having a ton of good luck.

I saw the opthalmologist/surgeon first, he referred me to the clinical optometrist to check whether or not there was a refractory solution. Back to seeing the surgeon early next month.

Yeah, night driving I avoid, the "glare" from bright lights makes it very difficult, even worse if the roads are wet. Like trying to drive with a dirty windscreen.

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on May 03, 2017, 07:18:27 AM
That is ironic.  :chin:

He must be very good at it...probably gets it from you.

:mb lol:

He defiantly gets his engineering and 3 dimensional senses from me and his tenacity from his mum. He has been looking at other jobs at Space-X and Tesla cars. He also has an open door job invite to the company exploiting the research he did for his PhD which dealt with ultrasonic imaging at high temperatures in solids. So he's got a get out clause if he wants it. At the moment he's enjoying being paid (a serious load of money) to fly around the world and playing at being a grown up.

Magdalena

^^
Wow, Tank! You must be so proud of him.  :tellmemore: