News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

I am an Atheist

Started by SelfConvertedAtheist, March 24, 2011, 07:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SelfConvertedAtheist

Just a little about myself becoming an Atheist.

Started when I was 14. I started having some doubts about God and that my prayers were never answered, but I ignored it and realized I couldn't comprehend God. I remember when I argued with you here once as a Christian, and you posted the One true God video and I watched it, thought it was somewhat funny but ignored it. Some months later I looked at some Atheist videos and they made me think some. I couldn't answer some of the points they made so I watched some Christian videos and they didn't help at all as they either slandered or made horrible points.

Slowly overtime (About one year), I decided I was no longer a Christian, but I was still a theist. Then one weekend, I realized I no longer could believe in God. That night I wrote a document about what is wrong with the Christian God, but also just with "God" in general. I was crushed. Over the period of around a week I was sick. Not just physically, but mentally. What I once held dear was no longer true and I realized no matter how hard I tried I would never be able to believe in it again.

That week I was depressed and sick to my stomach over the thoughts that rushed through my head: There is no afterlife, I was not molded, I have no true "soul", how will I tell my loved ones, etc... I questioned life and how I would live it now some. I will not lie it was a long and difficult process. A week or two passed and not only did I get over these feelings, but I felt better than ever. I enjoy life now to enjoy it, I realized what I should do with my life.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

As an atheist, you'll see and experience life differently than you did as a theist, but it is in no way less fulfilling. To me, it's more even.  :)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Hello SCA

Many of the members here have had very similar experiences to yourself. I'm sure you'll find a sympathetic ear and the opportunity to investigate you own new world view.

Welcome to HAF

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cecilie

Hello and welcome!

It's interesting for me to hear that losing your religion actually made you sick. It's all very foreign to me, thanks for sharing!
The world's what you create.

Cosmo

This is very interesting. It seems that you not only wrote this post at around the same time as I wrote mine, but you also describe going through a very similar process as the one I went through. You talk about physical and mental sickness, you talk about going from religious to simply theist and then to atheist. You talk about the devastation of realizing that there is no afterlife, no soul. You wondered how to live your life after that. I was reading and felt you were describing my struggle. I encourage you to read my post (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7224#p108870) , and maybe tell me if it is the case. I also would appreciate it if you could post the document you wrote about what is wrong with the Christian God, and indeed God in general.

Thank you.