News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

"Thou shalt not kill" list

Started by shoruke, August 23, 2007, 04:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoruke

(My first post on this forum, yay)

Growing up where I did, I'm an atheist but I've been exposed to some knowledge of Christianity...

And I hate all the christian hypocrisy I see, especially in the bible. They claim to be the ultimate (or rather, only) morality. Sure, their bible says "thou shalt not kill" in the ten commandments... the other nine WITHOUT EXCEPTION require someone to die if they are disobeyed. WHY???? So, this is MY perception of "thou shalt not kill" the way it is phrased in the bible.

THOU SHALT NOT KILL:
1. Midianites. (That means you, Moses you bastard)
2. Turks (See: crusades)
3. Blasphemers
4. Atheists, or supposed athesist (see: Inquisition)
5. Mosquitos, ants, other common pests
6. Kids in art class, for crying out loud... ("Thou shalt not make any imitation of any thing that is on this earth, in the water, or in the sky", or something like that... it's one of the ten commandments)
7. Livestock
8. That guy in the bible, who was picking up sticks on a sunday and those frickin kids KILLED the poor bugger just for working on a sunday
9.ANYTHING ELSE.

Killing is against my moral code, and surprisingly enough, that makes me a better person than moses in the eyes of his own bible. Ironic, isn't it? Someone tell me what you think.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

rlrose328

I agree with you completely.  :-)  Nice post... I got a little chuckle.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Amor Fati

I enjoy meat too much to agree with you regarding livestock, but even then, number 9 would include plants, so what would we eat?  :wink:

rlrose328

Oooo... good point.  I do enjoy meat... plants are optional. ;)
**Kerri**

SteveS

Eh - even I, the simple swiller of fermented malt beverages, am guilty of killing.  The little beer yeasts are still living in my homebrew when I consume it.....

Who am I kidding?  I really like meat too - screw it, the cows are gonna have to die!

shoruke

I thank you, good people, for responding to my post. This is a very good reason (politically, at any rate) to not be christian.

Whitney

Some bibles say you shall not murder...which translation is correct (anyone an expert in dead languages?)

tigerlily46514

http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/atrocities.html

Well, kill or murder, 'god' and his followers did plenty of either one, if there is any difference.......

. Above is a long list of ones who CAN be killed, such as people who pick up sticks on the sabbath.....

Shoruke is right--there is a ton of hypocrisy in that bible!!!!!
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

rlrose328

I was just having this conversation (kill vs. murder in the 10Cs) with the hubby the other day.  I believe it's "murder" because then all the other killings, as in war or sacrifice to god, are allowable as moral and ethical (in THEIR book, anyway).  We don't know for sure... but it made sense to us from a religious standpoint.
**Kerri**

tigerlily46514

ah!  now i understand.
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

rlrose328

Now that's just a GUESS on our part... But I have some recollection of having this conversation with my mom when I was a teen (and doubting BIG TIME) because my dad was AF and was in the Vietnam war.  How can he justify being in a war where we were killing people and still hold the 10Cs... I believe that was her explanation.  But your religious mileage may vary.  :p
**Kerri**

SteveS

Quote from: "laetusatheos"(anyone an expert in dead languages?)
Haha!  Certainly not me.  English is hard enough that its become a lifelong pursuit of mine to hopefully master it one day.....and I'm getting behind.  I can't understand what the hell the rap "singers" are saying :?

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Amor Fati"I enjoy meat too much to agree with you regarding livestock, but even then, number 9 would include plants, so what would we eat?  :wink:

Twinkies!    :D

I don't think there is any actual food in a Twinkie, so we should be safe.  Of course we'd all get scurvy and die a horrible, painful death but we wouldn't piss off the almighty.   :roll:

Whitney

Quote from: "rlrose328"Now that's just a GUESS on our part... But I have some recollection of having this conversation with my mom when I was a teen (and doubting BIG TIME) because my dad was AF and was in the Vietnam war.  How can he justify being in a war where we were killing people and still hold the 10Cs... I believe that was her explanation.  But your religious mileage may vary.  :p

Well, if it was originally "thou shall not kill" then that adds another big contradiction to the religion.  I have heard someone say before that it was changed to murder to avoid this issue.  However, that doesn't mean that is really what happened.  Thouh shall not murder is so much less strict than thou shall not kill....if you aren't supposed to murder that just means you have restrictions on what and who you kill.

shoruke

twinkies... LOL, I love it, this just became my favorite forum...