News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Cut Years Off Development Time of New Antibiotics

Started by Tank, February 12, 2011, 02:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Scientists Hope to Cut Years Off Development Time of New Antibiotics

QuoteScienceDaily (Feb. 11, 2011) â€" Eliminating tens of thousands of manual lab experiments, two University of Houston (UH) professors are working toward a method to cut the development time of new antibiotics. While current practices typically last for more than a decade, a computerized modeling system being developed at UH will speed up this process...

Excellent news!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

grim-reaper

This could make it easier to stay ahead of the "superbugs" that keep evolving resistence to current antibiotics.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Am I the only one that notices these bugs grow every time we develop a new vaccine/antibiotic/etc?

I've been eating a vegan diet and using natural, herbal medicine for a long time now, and I never get sick. Haven't needed anything from doctors.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

Tank

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"Am I the only one that notices these bugs grow every time we develop a new vaccine/antibiotic/etc?
No. It's called evolution.

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"I've been eating a vegan diet and using natural, herbal medicine for a long time now, and I never get sick. Haven't needed anything from doctors.
Yet. How old are you?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

ForTheLoveOfAll

QuoteNo. It's called evolution.

Perhaps my information is off, but I've read reports of viruses and bugs growing a tolerance to the many vaccines, medications, and antibiotics as introduced by the medical community. Mind you, not ALL of them do. But the ones that do can certainly be hard to deal with. The same principle applies to weeds and insects that interfere with crops. Within a few years, the pesticides and herbicides are no longer effective, so they have to ramp up the toxcisity of the poisons to kill them off,  all while keeping the plants on a sort of life support by genetically modifying them and the fertilizers. Though, yes, it is an evolution of sorts, the fact remains, viruses and plants and the like adapt to what we try and do. They don't always succeed, but it's a pain in the arse when they do. For us, at least.

QuoteYet. How old are you?

I'm 18. But I was sick ever since I was about four years old. Nothing the doctors tried worked. (And man did they try.) My mother was introduced to an herbal doctor by the name of Dr. Schultze. My mother was a very sick person, as well, due to a medical error about 40 years ago that wound up blowing a small hole in her stomach.

So she had had about 40 years of modern medical treatment, and I had had about 3 before we found Schultze. Within two weeks, I was well. Within a few months, my mother was. After awhile I went full vegan, and haven't been sick since, and this is all while seeing other people my age, younger, and older getting sick year 'round. My mother stays in good health, also.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

karadan

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"Am I the only one that notices these bugs grow every time we develop a new vaccine/antibiotic/etc?

I've been eating a vegan diet and using natural, herbal medicine for a long time now, and I never get sick. Haven't needed anything from doctors.

That doesn't necessarily mean your way of life and diet is the reason you don't get sick. You probably just have a very hardy immune system. There's definitely no scientific link between veganism and immunity to germs.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "karadan"

That doesn't necessarily mean your way of life and diet is the reason you don't get sick. You probably just have a very hardy immune system. There's definitely no scientific link between veganism and immunity to germs.
No, but there is a link between a healthy organism and it's ability to fight off disease. My diet and lifestyle are what makes me healthy. I didn't always have a hardy immune system. I used to get sick constantly, so did my mother, and so did alot of people I know. That is, before they took up simmilar habits for sustaining health.

The same thing applies to plants that applies to people, as a rule. Living on a farm, something you discover is that healthy plants don't get sick, and bugs dont eat them. In much the same way, a healthy body tends to be immune to disease. An unhealthy body... not so much.

All in all, what I'm saying is that mother nature's way has proven to be much better for keeping health and well being that modern medicine. We've certainly had our advancements in life-span thanks to many things the medical community has done, but hospitals and the like are making more people sick than well. I don't recall his name, but a few years ago, the man who owned more hospitals than anyone else in America, who was himself a doctor, said this in opening a speech he was giving in California.

"Running a hospital is like running a whore house. You can't make any money unless you keep the beds full."

Modern medicine is concerned with attacking the disease, not healing the body. And that's the problem. It keeps people dependant on drugs/surgery/etc. If, however, you give the body what it needs, the natural blueprint your body already has for healing takes over, and you stay healthy.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 for the day from all the research I've done.
-Carl Sagan

- Bill Hicks