News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Meet the real Skynet. It's name is LES.

Started by karadan, February 14, 2011, 12:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

So I read about this project yesterday. It is very ambitious and I'm not really sure whether they'll be able to do everything they say but it is nonetheless, highly interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12012082

I can envisage a future article which goes something  like this:

"Next week scientists are going to turn on the decision engine for the Living Earth Simulator, or 'LES' for short. At which point, LES will no longer require humans to study incoming information, abolishing the time intensive practices of how best to use it. The 'inefficient' human factor will be replaced with the decision engine so that LES can easily dissect the information and make instant decisions based upon the real time data continuously coming in. Scientists expect the upgrade will enable LES to solve problems like overpopulation and global warming within a few days of it going live."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, I also read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12419672

Apparently the amount of data stored in the world on over 60 forms of media works out to be about 295 Exabytes. I wonder how long it will be till I can have that sort of storage on my phone :)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "karadan"S Scientists expect the upgrade will enable LES to solve problems like overpopulation and global warming within a few days of it going live."

Propose a solution maybe, doesn't mean we'll listen.

history_geek

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "karadan"S Scientists expect the upgrade will enable LES to solve problems like overpopulation and global warming within a few days of it going live."

I think I've seen those movies...

:hide:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

karadan

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"

At which point LES makes the decisions for us.  :devil:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

SSY

Not hopeful to be honest. Computers have never really been very good at inferring novel correlations between data sets, more processing power, more data and more integration seem unlikely to solve this problem imho.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Ultima22689

Quote from: "SSY"Not hopeful to be honest. Computers have never really been very good at inferring novel correlations between data sets, more processing power, more data and more integration seem unlikely to solve this problem imho.

Good thing computer logic will never be the same in less than fifteen years. Computers are beginning to change drastically and these teams are aware of that as projects like these that sound grandiose keep popping up, many of them backed by big money. I hope this project finds success, such a computer, in the right hands can make the world a far better place than it is now.

ForTheLoveOfAll

SHIT, I take it these people have never read I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

Last thing the world needs is a super-intelligent, rogue AI.

However, projects like this do excite me. Hopefully it'll do humanity some good.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

terranus

QuoteScientists expect the upgrade will enable LES to solve problems like overpopulation and global warming within a few days of it going live."

So could I, if I ever managed to find my way into some type of political power. Don't think my solution would be well-liked, though. Me and SkyNet see eye to eye on a few things.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"SHIT, I take it these people have never read I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

wtf dude, are you honestly worrying about this because of some old speculative fiction or are you joking?

joeactor

... anybody been watching IBM's "Watson" beat the pants off of two Jeopardy champions?

It's a three-day, million dollar show.  The last one's tomorrow.

Pretty fascinating to watch.

:hide:

karadan

Quote from: "joeactor"... anybody been watching IBM's "Watson" beat the pants off of two Jeopardy champions?

It's a three-day, million dollar show.  The last one's tomorrow.

Pretty fascinating to watch.

:yay:

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"
Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"SHIT, I take it these people have never read I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

wtf dude, are you honestly worrying about this because of some old speculative fiction or are you joking?
Eh. Let's just say it's an illogical subconscious fear of mine due to reading some stuff at a young age that produced some high octane nightmare fuel.

But no, I'm not seriously worried about something like that happening. The thought of artificial intelligence excites me, but fact remains that humanity should proceed with caution with such things.

Who's to say that a super intelligent mind existing within a computer, who could within the fraction of a second determine that what we want for it to do is not the most logical or efficient way of doing it, could cause untold havoc? Even if it's only in frying it's own circuts?

We just don't know, as of yet. But I think it'll be a good outcome.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks