Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

God made the universe look old so it would look pretty

Started by Sophus, December 20, 2010, 08:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Davin"
Quote from: "Bornagain"stop watching Star Trek
I'll probably keep watching some of the different series and movies, most episodes are not so bad and some episodes I really liked.

Star Trek teaches us to accept people with strange beliefs and cultures.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Bornagain"Ok guys. After a night's rest I am back! Hope you didn't miss me. Sophus, Judas hanged himself.
Or did he?

Quote from: "The Bible"Acts 1:18
    Now this man [Judas] purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

QuoteHackenslash, when you say God is love and love is never jealous, look at the love Paul was talking about. There are 3 kinds of love; Agape and Phileo, and Eros. Agape meaning perfect love. aka Godly love. Phileo meaning brotherly love. Eros meaning physical love. God is not jealous in the sense you are using it. God is jealous of people serving other "gods". Wouldn't you be jealous if your wife had her eye on some other man all the time?
Maybe I would be jealous if I had a wife that was looking at other guys, but probably not, since I would most likely go for an open marriage (if I even got married). And there's are problems with your analogy -- first, God is perfect, and I am not, and second, the "other gods" are fictional.

QuoteI have come to the conclusion that since you do not read nor believe the Bible,
I actually do read the Bible on a regular basis.

Quotemy arguments toward God and creation are pointless.
I am come to the conclusion that since you read and believe the Bible, my arguments against it and Christianity are pointless.

QuoteI am not a hater of science. I just hate when people put their entire existence into science.
What does that mean?

QuoteEvolution, just like Creation, is a THEORY. Not fact.
The words "theory" and "fact" are not mutually exclusive, and in fact, evolution is a fact. I just realized how weird the word "fact" is.

QuoteNeither one can be proven with science.
Well, yeah, science can never prove anything absolutely (one-hundred percent). But it doesn't need to.

QuoteGod gave man the ability to understand certain things and certain things He has chosen to keep hidden.
Why?

QuoteMost everything we need to know is in the Bible.
roflol

KDbeads

Quote from: "Bornagain"So I leave you with some advice. Get out of your parents' basement, stop watching Star Trek, and go out and get a life. Science won't save you. Science can't comfort you like my God can.
A bit high and mighty aren't we Bornagain?  You assume so much, and know so little about us.  A little advice for you..... don't tell people what to do and quit it with the preaching, it's against forum rules viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1522 .  Science is what's going to keep you alive when you wind up in the hospital, all those years of research, medical breakthroughs etc.  But knowing your type you'll attribute all those thousands of hours of hard work to a god instead of to the people who actually did it.

An for what it's worth, my parent's don't have a basement, I haven't lived in the same state as they have for 15 years now.  Bite me on the Trek, as I LOVE it, it taught me more about how to live than that thing you call a bible, which I've read several times BTW....  And as for a life?  I own my own home, am mostly self sufficient from my farming and my flock.  I have 6 patents (2 of which are in something like 27 countries), been married 11 years now.  And I'm educated, not some dumb cluck who fell off the turnip truck last week.  Engineer to be exact, ready to be a PE once I actually take that test.

So I'll ask the big question....  Have you actually read your bible cover to cover in it's entirety?  Not a few scriptures here and there, I mean the whole thing, like sitting down and reading a novel or manuscript?  I have.  6 or 7 times, looking for answers and only finding more questions.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Sophus

Quote from: "bornagain"Sophus, Judas hanged himself.

Really? Are sure he didn't fall headlong and have his guts come burst out? Because that's what a different account of the Bible says.

Quote from: "Acts 1:18"Judas had bought a field with the money he received for his treachery. Falling headfirst there, his body split open, spilling out all his intestines.

Also, how did the Field of Blood get its name? Of course, you already know why this related to the Judas question, right?

Are you going to at least acknowledge these contradictions or is this really the first time you've ever heard of them?

QuoteEvolution, just like Creation, is a THEORY. Not fact.

No. God is a theory, not a fact. Evolution is both fact and theory, similar to Atomic theory. See, that has theory in the name but you don't doubt atomic theory do you? What about gravity? It's just a theory.

QuoteGet out of your parents' basement, stop watching Star Trek, and go out and get a life.
Is this a new atheist smear? That we all live in our parents' basement?  lol

QuoteScience won't save you.
I like Davin's answer. If science can't save you, then don't ever get that liver transplant.

QuoteScience can't comfort you like my God can.
I have no existential angst.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

elliebean

Quote from: "Bornagain"Blah blah blah
That's the best you've got after a night's sleep?

I've been kind enough to respond to your posts honestly and respectfully thus far, in spite of your lack of effort or willingness to learn or even to examine anything critically, but you've shown you have no respect for anyone here, so I have no more incentive to be charitable to you and your idiotic pestering. Just like Voter, your posts from this point on are worthy of only mockery, as far as I'm concerned, until you've shown otherwise.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Whitney

Quote from: "Bornagain"Ok guys. After a night's rest I am back! Hope you didn't miss me. Sophus, Judas hanged himself. Hackenslash, when you say God is love and love is never jealous, look at the love Paul was talking about. There are 3 kinds of love; Agape and Phileo, and Eros. Agape meaning perfect love. aka Godly love. Phileo meaning brotherly love. Eros meaning physical love. God is not jealous in the sense you are using it. God is jealous of people serving other "gods". Wouldn't you be jealous if your wife had her eye on some other man all the time? I have come to the conclusion that since you do not read nor believe the Bible, my arguments toward God and creation are pointless. I am not a hater of science. I just hate when people put their entire existence into science. Evolution, just like Creation, is a THEORY. Not fact. Neither one can be proven with science. God gave man the ability to understand certain things and certain things He has chosen to keep hidden. Most everything we need to know is in the Bible. Oh and the whole drinking thing; God told the Judges and certain people in position of leadership not to drink. Drinking is not proven by science. If you drink to the point where you cannot remember where you are, who you are with, or just lose most of control, you are DRUNK. That is excessive. That is like saying only science can prove you are fat from eating junk. If you are 5'5" and 300 pounds, you are overweight. I personally do not drink. When I said earlier about ruining a "witness" some of you seemed confused about it. To Christian's our witness is our reputation or our report with others. How can I call myself a Christian if I am getting drunk, saying something to someone that blows my chances of reaching them, and then waking up beside a girl I don't know? Not something Christ would have done. but then again you guys don't believe the Bible. So I leave you with some advice. Get out of your parents' basement, stop watching Star Trek, and go out and get a life. Science won't save you. Science can't comfort you like my God can.

This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=3&p=99566#p99566 .

part of post you are getting the warning for:  "Get out of your parents' basement, stop watching Star Trek, and go out and get a life. Science won't save you. Science can't comfort you like my God can."

Aside from the above being a gross misrepresentation of pretty much everyone on the board it is just plain uncivil and not becoming of someone who just got done talking about how they can't drink because they need to represent god well.

It would be a good idea if you read the forum rules.

DJAkuma

To speak of Trek like that is blasphemy, in some places you'd be dressed in a red shirt and sent to a certain part of compton...