News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Stevil

Started by Stevil, November 23, 2010, 06:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Hello

If I were to give myself a religious label then it would be as a non believer.
Maybe this could be termed as an Agnostic Atheist, not sure. I have only just looked up the terms.
I don't believe that there is conclusive proof either way so can't definitely say for sure there there is/are no god/gods. Actually I'm not even sure what the definition of a god is, but it seems that it has no limitations or boundaries and hence would be unprovable either way.

My personal stance is that it is highly unlikely that any particular theory of a particular god or group of gods that a person or collective group of people have theorised on would be in any way shape or form close to the actual truth. Speculation would be rife, and theories would be tainted by culture, politics and understandings at that point in time. To decipher the truth thousands of years after the words were written would be next to impossible and would require a lot of faith and belief. I struggle to understand how an open minded person could chose one religion over another other than being brought up with heavy influences towards one particular religion.

I feel people are entitled to believe in what they believe and it is fruitless to argue the point as there are no conclusive provable facts either way. I would love it if everyone would simply accept each others beliefs and simply focus on bettering their own lives rather than worrying about others. Of course this is naive as there are many situations where religious belief overlaps with law, with social morals, with medicine etc. Finding balance will always be a challenge.

Be good, be fair, reserve judgment!

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Stevil"Be good, be fair, reserve judgment!

Nice sentiment, welcome.

Davin

Welcome to the forums.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Stevil.

Quote from: "Stevil"Be good, be fair, reserve judgment!

I agree with The Magic Pudding that this is a nice sentiment.  However (you knew that was coming, didn't you? :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

McQ

Hi Stevil. Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the info/background and thoughts on beliefs and labels. I think that's one of the most interesting aspects of belief systems. The whole "trying to define what we are" thing. It's not as simple as many people think. I used to equate atheism with evil, or even with satanism, back in my religious days (eons ago, it seems).

Labels are a pain in the ass, in my opinion. Lol! Mainly because it's possible for a person to be so many different "labels" all at once, and have labels change all the time.

But I digress from the welcome...have fun here, and join the party!
 :)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Welcome aboard

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.