News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

'Atheism breaks scientific laws'

Started by pjkeeley, June 02, 2007, 12:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjkeeley

Came across another 'refutation' of atheism, this time claiming that atheism breaks the laws of science: http://www.anointed-one.net/atheism.html

Since when did theists care about the laws of science? :lol: I kid.

My first qualm is that the author asserts that all atheists are necessarily naturalists: this is simply not true. Many (probably most) are, but not all. The argument recycles the usual stuff about abiogenesis and entropy and the like; I'm sure someone with a better understanding of the science involved would be able to refute these asserions outright. The author at least acknowledges the question of who created god, but the answer is unsatisfying.

I give this one a C for effort (he or she obviously did more than the usual amount of research to back it up) and a B for presentation (the black background and use of coloured text was refreshing). Overall merit: D-

Squid

Wow, what a huge, steaming pile....if I had the time and even thought it'd be worth it, I'd write a rebuttal.

Will

I only have a degree in psychology, and I know so much more about science than them it would make their head spin. How could these people ever think they know what they're taking about? I'd like to have Bill Nye go after them with the hammer from a perpetual motion machine.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

McQ

Quote from: "Willravel"I only have a degree in psychology, and I know so much more about science than them it would make their head spin. How could these people ever think they know what they're taking about? I'd like to have Bill Nye go after them with the hammer from a perpetual motion machine.

Only?  :shock:

Slacker. Couldn't find time for basket weaving? LOL!

If only my kids would aim so high....
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

tacoma_kyle

Quote from: "Willravel"I only have a degree in psychology.

Woah sweet! Psychology is a pretty neat topic. If I get outta ME for some dumb reason thats my next choice. Every once-in-a-while I still wonder if I should have gone for psychology.

Anyhow, did anyone else find that article convincing? I was thinkin of that whole 'uncreated creator,' wow......thats deep! hahaha
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Squid

Yeah, lots of us psychology degree people runnin' around.

SteveS

Oh man, that thing was ... annoying.

QuoteGod is the uncreated creator of the universe, so the question, "Who created God?" is illogical.
Interesting --- and we determined that god was the "uncreated creator" how?  Oh, that's right, by simple definition.  "Because I said so".  Obviously, this is far more logical then questioning who created god....what a crock.

QuoteEverything which has a beginning has a cause.  The universe has a beginning; therefore, the universe has a cause.  It is important to stress the words "which has a beginning".  The universe requires a cause because it had a beginning.  God, unlike the universe, had no beginning, so he does not need a cause.

Statement 1) Everything which has a beginning has a cause.

Proof to follow?  Hmm, can't seem to find it.....

Statement 2) God, unlike the universe, had no beginning

Again, this was determined how?

These tired old arguments don't look any better no matter how many times I read them.

QuoteMost atheists are not even honest enough to apply the same burden of proof for naturalism that they demand of supernaturalism.  
Bullshit!  Total, solid, stinking, festering bullshit!  I try to stay calm, but this gets under my skin.  Damn, I need an extra beer now (put out the flames, you know  :wink:  ).

skeptigirl

They always go for the 'Universe is impossible unless we add the God layer to the explanation'.

Where did God come from... oh that helps explain things.

Will

Quote from: "McQ"Only?  :shock:

Slacker. Couldn't find time for basket weaving? LOL!

If only my kids would aim so high....
I can talk to them if you want, and I'll throw in a free shrinking!
Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"Woah sweet! Psychology is a pretty neat topic. If I get outta ME for some dumb reason thats my next choice. Every once-in-a-while I still wonder if I should have gone for psychology.
I had a chance to pursue medicine or political science (I'm actually going back to school for poli sci now), but psych was a lot of fun, and if you're going to pick a major for the chicks, this is the one. I cannot possibly communicate how many beautiful women were psych majors. Oh, and also to help people.
Quote from: "Squid"Yeah, lots of us psychology degree people runnin' around.
It's a popular thingy, which is why I'm not in the business. Managment pays better, anyway.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Squid

Quote from: "Willravel"
Quote from: "Squid"Yeah, lots of us psychology degree people runnin' around.
It's a popular thingy, which is why I'm not in the business. Managment pays better, anyway.

Yeah a bachelors in psych won't get you much.  That's why I'm still in school - going for the research route.

Will

Exactly. If you want to show off your psych degree, you have better have received it in three years. That you can brag about.

Eclecticsaturn

ya i read that whole site. its quit interesting. My wife was next to me and kept wondering what i was laughing at. SHe actually sent me the link thinking i would change my mind or something.