News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Filibuster

Started by Moses, November 05, 2010, 09:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moses

I am curious what folks at this forum think about the filibuster.

Do you think it makes the Senate more democratic due to the structure of that body? Or do you think it actually just increases the power of special interests? Also do you think it makes government more efficent and accountable or that is just locks in the status quo?

Do you think it creates more bipartisanship or is that something that bicameralism is better at?

Thumpalumpacus

It allows for minority rule when the parties are committed to not work together.

I'd like to see it done away with.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Sophus

I hate it. It used to be that the filibuster was not really an effective tool, and it was rarely used. Now Republicans are using more than any point in history.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Thumpalumpacus

I don't really care who is using it.  If it's being used, there's a minority steering a majority somewhere.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Tom62

I think it is is form of blackmail. It should be forbidden, because it is anti-democratic.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Prometheus

Its ridiculous that something so childish and obviously counterproductive is allowed to go on within our government. Hoepfully it will be done away with soon. The bean counters are incompetent and impotent enough as it is, they don't need any help.
"There's a new, secret hazing process where each new member must track down and eliminate an old member before being granted full forum privileges.  10 posts is just a front.  Don't get too comfy, your day will come..."-PC

SSY

It happens in Westminster as well, though as with most things, our filibuster's are a more restrained affair. Are they undemocratic, I would say yes. Is the house in a normal sitting that democratic anyway? Not really.

A government can push through a bill in most circumstances anyway, anything that stymies the endless reams of terribly drafted, ineffective and reactionary legislation that pours out of the Commons is a good thing in my book.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Whitney

When it was originally implemented we didn't have cars and things like that.  I can see how they could have originally found it helpful in that you knew 5 more people from your side were on their way and you just had to stall the vote long enough for them to arrive.  This was also back when parties seemed to be better at actually discussing topics rationally so it might have actually been helpful at some point.  Why it had to be someone standing and talking about nothing in particular for hours on end is a mystery to me...it would be much more mature to be allowed to say "not everyone is here, I would like to be granted my one yearly request for a 24 hour recess"

But I think that it is useless in our times especially when abused and it is time to remove it from the process.

EssejSllim

I think the idea of the filibuster is good. It allows for the minority party to hold some feasible amount of power by preventing the majority from dictating discussion and bill amendments. But when you can filibuster by reading from a telephone directory, or from Ariana Huffington's book (as was just done a few days ago) that's just pathetic.
"How terrible [the theory of evolution] will be upon the nobility of the old world. Think of their being forced to trace their ancestry back tot he duke Orang Outang or the Princess Chimpanzee." -Robert Ingersoll

"What? Is man merely a mistake of God's? Or God merely a mistake of man's." - Friedrich Nietzsche

grim-reaper

It's undemocratic. It allows Republicans to protect special interests. We need to get rid of it somehow.

Voter

I would think that atheists in the US would be all for mechanisms that give power to the minority.
Quote from: "An anonymous atheist poster here"Your world view is your world view. If you keep it to yourself then I don't really care what it is. Trouble is you won't keep it to yourself and that's fine too. But if you won't keep your beliefs to yourself you have no right, no right whatsoever, not to have your world view bashed. You make your wo

Will

It's a good idea that's almost never used for good.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.