News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Ana Kefr!

Started by adorexo, August 24, 2010, 10:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i_am_i

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "i_am_i"No, she's right, I was born with an abnormally small penis. Let's just say that I've never been entirely happy about that. But what are you going to do, right?

Well there are a lot of people out there offering help.
Judging by the offers I've seen, all the cures seem to have the same side effect.
But if bad grammar isn't a worry, they may be worth investigating.

Nah, bad grammer isn't a deal killer for me. After all I live in the south.

Thanks for the tip, Magic.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Whitney

Quote from: "philosoraptor"I smell a sock puppet.  Just sayin'.

Just noting that I do too but I have no way to prove it at this time since there isn't an IP match.

Tank

Well there is a startling huge amount of fail from two n00bs in this thread  lol
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

philosoraptor

"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

karadan

QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Tanker

I don't think we should be sending anyone away or insult anyone for being new. That's not the forum I joined. While I made the first anti-spammer post, and stand by it, and I smell a sock too, I don't think we should send anyone away for engaging us back even if some find it unpleasent. Everyone has to start somewhere and even if we disagree we should welcome them. That's how it always was before and I see less then no reason to change that now. (at least unless you start breaking rules willfully then you would deserve a ban)

There are plenty of reasons to not want a poster to be around but "noob" status shouldn't be one.

I'm sorry to say but I'm pretty disapointed.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Tanker"I don't think we should be sending anyone away or insult anyone for being new.
I don't think anyone was sent away, certainty not for being new.

Quote from: "Tanker"While I made the first anti-spammer post, and stand by it, and I smell a sock too,
I don't think you should underestimate this, if one member of a group makes an aggressive move, others take it as a lead and conflict grows.

Quote from: "Tanker"I don't think we should send anyone away for engaging us back even if some find it unpleasent. Everyone has to start somewhere and even if we disagree we should welcome them. That's how it always was before and I see less then no reason to change that now. (at least unless you start breaking rules willfully then you would deserve a ban)

There are plenty of reasons to not want a poster to be around but "noob" status shouldn't be one.

I don't think "noob" status was the issue but I welcome the question could this have been handled better.
Would a first reply to the OP such as that looks like spam, let's talk about something else, or tell us a little about your self, may have set a different tone.

Tanker

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "Tanker"I don't think we should be sending anyone away or insult anyone for being new.
I don't think anyone was sent away, certainty not for being new.

Quote from: "Tanker"While I made the first anti-spammer post, and stand by it, and I smell a sock too,
I don't think you should underestimate this, if one member of a group makes an aggressive move, others take it as a lead and conflict grows.

Quote from: "Tanker"I don't think we should send anyone away for engaging us back even if some find it unpleasent. Everyone has to start somewhere and even if we disagree we should welcome them. That's how it always was before and I see less then no reason to change that now. (at least unless you start breaking rules willfully then you would deserve a ban)

I don't think "noob" status was the issue but I welcome the question could this have been handled better.
Would a first reply to the OP such as that looks like spam, let's talk about something else, or tell us a little about your self, may have set a different tone.

I was more responding to
Quote from: "philosoraptor"
then anything. Again NO ONE should be sent away for being new. The later poster while possibly a sock cannot even by Whitney be proven to be a sock so without evidence to the positive I won't make the assumption that they are in fact a sock.

However what annoyed was the second poster acutally responding if unpleasently then being told they are a "noob" by tank then being told to go away for being a noob by Philo. I find that an unacceptable reason for exsclussion for anything let alone this forum.

Im sorry to say MP that a poster was in fact told to leave for being a noob. This is not been ok here before nor should it be now.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

philosoraptor

Quote from: "Tanker"I don't think we should be sending anyone away or insult anyone for being new. That's not the forum I joined. While I made the first anti-spammer post, and stand by it, and I smell a sock too, I don't think we should send anyone away for engaging us back even if some find it unpleasent. Everyone has to start somewhere and even if we disagree we should welcome them. That's how it always was before and I see less then no reason to change that now. (at least unless you start breaking rules willfully then you would deserve a ban)

I don't think there's a forum anywhere that wold classify a first time user (that is likely a sock, no less) making a penis joke at another member's expense "engaging".  That's trolling, and there's a difference.

Perhaps you'll find this one more palatable?  More than anything, I find memes involving the Pope hilarious, regardless of text and assuming it's not racial or bigoted.

"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Tanker

As a matter of fact I do find it much more acceptable. That would be stating your issue. I just don't like exclusion on the basis of how new someone is. If someone's a Troll call them a troll if someone a spammer make that your issue if someone is an ass then treat them as such. It just seems to me that telling someone "leave noob" would be like makeing fun of someones apearence. It's not relevent.

Again really ok with the whole troll thing. I just think you should call a spade a spade...or a troll a troll.

*edit* A good example would be rather then you disagreeing with me and asking about the troll pic if you had instead attaked my spelling ability (or lack there of). It shouldn't be the issue and would be irrelevent . That's how I saw the whole "noob" thing.

Tank

Quote from: "Tank"Well there is a startling huge amount of fail from two n00bs in this thread  lol

I was not picking on them because they were n00bs, it was a simply a quick way of referring to the two people, initial spammer and supporter. I'll be more circumspect in my language in future.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tanker

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "Tank"Well there is a startling huge amount of fail from two n00bs in this thread  lol

I was not picking on them because they were n00bs, it was a simply a quick way of referring to the two people, initial spammer and supporter.

That's why I specificly did not make an issue of it. I don't have a problem with the word itself only with it's usage here.

Whitney

The title of new members use to be "n00b" till it was pointed out to me that many people find it offensive to be called that....so, it would be a good idea to just avoid referring to people as n00bs anyway since it could be taken poorly.

Plus proper usage of n00b would be for someone who is new to a game and is totally screwing up...not sure how that could apply to a forum nor how it could ever be used productively on a forum that calls for civil discussions.

So, let's just not call new posters n00bs and if you think someone is trolling submit a report..in this case I was already aware of the poster and had done all that was necessary to point out that their conduct wasn't appreciated here.

Squid

Quote from: "burzumboy"No , I'm not in the band. I'm a female, there aren't any women in that band.

And I don't even like the music, my bone of contention is the vicious arrogance of humanity. If you don't like something, there's no reason to spew shit all over the place. People seem to have a lot of balls when they're hiding behind a computer screen and keyboard. I doubt anyone in this thread plays an instrument or has a band going anywhere, I find it exceptionally stupid to go out of your way to attack something just because it's not your taste. It would be like a religious person coming in here and blasting anything you post, saying "try to grow a brain" to everything. It's vicious, unneeded and petty. :/

I agree that the spamming is also ridiculous, but the thing that bothered me first was the unnecessary maliciousness...which prompted some unnecessary maliciousness from me as well, which I apologize for.

Let me put this into perspective.  Someone comes here and their very first post is a link to promote their band.  This is against the rules and is considered spamming as Whitney noted.  We get many people who simply just toss links out in one post and leave with no other purpose then to spam the forum.  We want people who will come here to discuss various issues as this is a discussion forum, it is not a link dump or somewhere to promote something and leave - a hit and run.  If someone wants that they can run over to /b/ the troll and spammer's paradise.

This is why spam (as is defined by the rules of the board) isn't well received here.  It is a waste of space to just toss out a link and never participate in any other capacity here.  Now, if the OP had made and introductory thread and made themselves know THEN posted about their band we'd know they weren't a spammer and this thread would have been received very differently.  Just like I wouldn't be well received if I walked into a closed group meeting somewhere, dropped my business card and said, "check out my band" and left.  People would quickly wonder, "who the hell is this guy" and "what do we care about his guy's band, who was he"?

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.  Work your way around the forums and I'm sure you'll find it to be a pretty cool place.