Author Topic: Santa Claus!  (Read 553 times)

TheOGMamaBear

  • Made of Star Stuff
  • *
  • Posts: 75
Santa Claus!
« on: August 03, 2010, 01:50:08 PM »
I was reading friendly atheist blog today and this was posted : http://friendlyatheist.com/2010/08/03/too-soon-to-learn-about-santa-claus/.

My eldest child will be 3 this december and is likely to be ready for the santa claus debacle.

What is your opinion on Santa? I loved it as a child and was fine when I found out he wasn't real (which I found on my own) but I feel really awkward and weird lying to my babe.

Those of you with kids....have any experience here?
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

Don't we all love Mark Twain?

Tank

  • Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
  • *****
  • Posts: 28852
  • Gender: Male
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 02:15:19 PM »
Hi

Three kids all grown up, first grandchild gestating, due Dec 3rd, so we'll be facing this question in a few years. You've said it yourself, you didn't have a problem finding out Santa wasn't real. It's almost a 'right of passage' of growing up, to show a child that they can enjoy a fantasy, but at the same time recognise the fact of fantasy! Imagination is critical to humanity, it may well be the quintessential defining characteristic of humanity. Our imagination is where we rehearse our moral choices, in a way it is what makes us moral creatures as it is where we can appreciate the potential effect on others of our actions.

Use Santa as a teaching aid. When they ask questions about how a reindeer powered sleigh can fly around the world in a night and visit all the children use it as a moment to explore stories.

Enjoy the moment, you can only be a child once, you have a whole life to be a sceptic!

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Heretical Rants

  • Despises Pat Robertson
  • **
  • Posts: 659
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 02:18:58 PM »
The very thought of that old man entering my house sent a wave of fear into the very depths of my soul.

I blocked up the chimney and made my parents take down the christmas lights.

This might have had something to do with the department store santa that smelled of cheap liquor, though...and I was always an odd child.

TheOGMamaBear

  • Made of Star Stuff
  • *
  • Posts: 75
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »
Quote from: "Tank"
Hi

Three kids all grown up, first grandchild gestating, due Dec 3rd, so we'll be facing this question in a few years. You've said it yourself, you didn't have a problem finding out Santa wasn't real. It's almost a 'right of passage' of growing up, to show a child that they can enjoy a fantasy, but at the same time recognise the fact of fantasy! Imagination is critical to humanity, it may well be the quintessential defining characteristic of humanity. Our imagination is where we rehearse our moral choices, in a way it is what makes us moral creatures as it is where we can appreciate the potential effect on others of our actions.

Use Santa as a teaching aid. When they ask questions about how a reindeer powered sleigh can fly around the world in a night and visit all the children use it as a moment to explore stories.

Enjoy the moment, you can only be a child once, you have a whole life to be a sceptic!

Regards
Chris


Thanks! Maybe your grandbaby will be born on my second daughters birthday - December 7th! :)

this was helpful, thank you! When did your kids discover the santa truth?
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

Don't we all love Mark Twain?

Tank

  • Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
  • *****
  • Posts: 28852
  • Gender: Male
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 02:24:58 PM »
Quote from: "Heretical Rants"
The very thought of that old man entering my house sent a wave of fear into the very depths of my soul.

I blocked up the chimney and made my parents take down the christmas lights.

This might have had something to do with the department store santa that smelled of cheap liquor, though...and I was always an odd child.
I think my wife had a similar fear of Santa and her Mum had to tell her he was not real from the get-go as her 7 year older brother used to tease and frighten her with the idea of Santa getting in!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

  • Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
  • *****
  • Posts: 28852
  • Gender: Male
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 02:34:12 PM »
Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"
Thanks! Maybe your grandbaby will be born on my second daughters birthday - December 7th! :)

this was helpful, thank you! When did your kids discover the santa truth?

Well my birthday is the 1st Dec and my next one is my 51st so a couple of days early and I'll  get a real present! We know it's a boy as my daughter asked at the last scan. She asked how they could tell. The technician pointed at the scan and said 'Penis and testicles.'  Not much she could say to that  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

  • The black swan of trespass
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
  • *****
  • Posts: 4913
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 02:45:36 PM »
Doing the whole Santa thing is so much fun.
I couldn't imagine denying my kids the anticipation and enjyoment of christmas morning.
Or myself for that matter.  :)

TheOGMamaBear

  • Made of Star Stuff
  • *
  • Posts: 75
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 02:47:50 PM »
Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"
Thanks! Maybe your grandbaby will be born on my second daughters birthday - December 7th! :)

this was helpful, thank you! When did your kids discover the santa truth?

Well my birthday is the 1st Dec and my next one is my 51st so a couple of days early and I'll  get a real present! We know it's a boy as my daughter asked at the last scan. She asked how they could tell. The technician pointed at the scan and said 'Penis and testicles.'  Not much she could say to that  :D


Yay!  A Boy! I have TWO girls. Jeez. And they are two years apart. It's crazy.

I always loved christmas as a kid. Even when I knew santa wasn't real. It was just fun to pretend.
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

Don't we all love Mark Twain?

Tank

  • Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
  • *****
  • Posts: 28852
  • Gender: Male
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 04:21:20 PM »
Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Doing the whole Santa thing is so much fun.
I couldn't imagine denying my kids the anticipation and enjyoment of christmas morning.
Or myself for that matter.  :)
Agreed. If parents say they don't like all the make believe I'm not convinced they're telling the truth, the whole truth and noting but the truth!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

  • Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
  • *****
  • Posts: 28852
  • Gender: Male
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 04:23:59 PM »
Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"


Yay!  A Boy! I have TWO girls. Jeez. And they are two years apart. It's crazy.

I always loved christmas as a kid. Even when I knew santa wasn't real. It was just fun to pretend.[/quote]
 I have three kids. A daughter born in mid '84 and twins (daughter & son) born in late '86. It's the eldest daughter who is expecting.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

TheOGMamaBear

  • Made of Star Stuff
  • *
  • Posts: 75
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 09:58:16 PM »
Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"


Yay!  A Boy! I have TWO girls. Jeez. And they are two years apart. It's crazy.

I always loved christmas as a kid. Even when I knew santa wasn't real. It was just fun to pretend.
I have three kids. A daughter born in mid '84 and twins (daughter & son) born in late '86. It's the eldest daughter who is expecting.[/quote]
Wow a two year old and twins! Did you lose it?

I'm having so much trouble with my toddler...
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

Don't we all love Mark Twain?

Tank

  • Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
  • *****
  • Posts: 28852
  • Gender: Male
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 10:15:14 PM »
Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"
Wow a two year old and twins! Did you lose it?

I'm having so much trouble with my toddler...
No we still have all three.

My wife got very bad post natal depression. There were days I would get home from work to find all four of them crying and have to sort them all out. But one copes and things get better (allegedly)  ;)

How old is toddler? Are we talking terrible twos?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Martin TK

  • Not Sure About That Kool-Aid
  • **
  • Posts: 335
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 11:47:05 PM »
Three children, all grown, two sons and a step-daughter,  and now two grands and I believe it is all good fun to play Santa.  My first wife and I cherished those years, and they go by so fast, as Tank said, we have a lifetime to be skeptic, but so few years to believe in magic.  I wouldn't trade those precious times for anything in the world, and you won't either, trust me.

Just an old man's humble opinion, but sometimes there really is value in the wisdom of experience.  At least I like to think so.  Peace and good luck.

Martin
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

pinkocommie

  • Doesn't Believe the Universe Was Made for Them
  • ****
  • Posts: 1395
    • http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 08:09:46 AM »
Quote from: "Martin TK"
Three children, all grown, two sons and a step-daughter,  and now two grands and I believe it is all good fun to play Santa.  My first wife and I cherished those years, and they go by so fast, as Tank said, we have a lifetime to be skeptic, but so few years to believe in magic.  I wouldn't trade those precious times for anything in the world, and you won't either, trust me.

Just an old man's humble opinion, but sometimes there really is value in the wisdom of experience.  At least I like to think so.  Peace and good luck.

Martin

I totally agree.  I was raised in a secular home, but man, we still celebrated Christmas all the way.  I love how the holiday is magical for kids, and I see Santa and Christmas in general as a time when a kid's imagination can be fully enjoyed, with elves and Santa and gifts and magic snowmen and everything else.  Man, I love Christmas...
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Businessocks

  • Made of Star Stuff
  • *
  • Posts: 86
Re: Santa Claus!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 03:13:40 PM »
My oldest was another one who was frightened by the idea of a large man coming into the house at night.  So we told her it is a game a lot of families like to play.  At 7, she still doesn't want to play.  But, she will let her 5 year old siblings play the game a bit.  They all know it's a fun story / game, but we still like to wrap one unique gift in special paper to give everyone from Santa.

A note about depriving kids of the joy Santa brings:  My oldest takes great joy in helping me wrap and shop for her siblings and hiding the presents in the house.  I think some kids just are wired differently.  I never liked Santa as a kid, either, and remember being very annoyed that everyone kept insisting he was real when I knew he wasn't.
The god of the cannibals will be a cannibal, of the crusaders a crusader, and of the merchants a merchant.  -Ralph Waldo Emerson