News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Member Retention.

Started by Tank, June 19, 2010, 08:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Should we, the forum members, attempt to improve the retention rate of new members?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Black Jester

How would you suggest we do that?
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Tank

Try to engage with noobies. Ask them open questions about their likes and dislikes. Respond to their posts in a way that encourages replies. Make sure you say hi to all introduction posts. Short of offering bribes there is not a lot else you can do.

But is retention something that should be something that I (we) should worry about? This forum has outlasted many so is it a case of 'If it works don't fix it!'
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Black Jester

Quote from: "Tank"Try to engage with noobies. Ask them open questions about their likes and dislikes. Respond to their posts in a way that encourages replies. Make sure you say hi to all introduction posts. Short of offering bribes there is not a lot else you can do.

But is retention something that should be something that I (we) should worry about? This forum has outlasted many so is it a case of 'If it works don't fix it!'

Getting greetings was very nice, actually.  And trying to draw people out can work to a point, you just have to be careful not to come across as too invasve...it could be a difficult balance, I would think.  But trying to keep people engaged and interested surely couldn't be a bad thing, could it?  One of the main things is probably just that everyone should continue to actively engage in coming up with compelling thread topics. Best way to keep people interested, I would think - attraction rather than promotion.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

Tank

Quote from: "The Black Jester"
Quote from: "Tank"Try to engage with noobies. Ask them open questions about their likes and dislikes. Respond to their posts in a way that encourages replies. Make sure you say hi to all introduction posts. Short of offering bribes there is not a lot else you can do.

Getting greetings was very nice, actually.  And trying to draw people out can work to a point, you just have to be careful not to come across as too invasve...it could be a difficult balance, I would think.
Agreed. We don't want to come over all 'Love bombing'. A polite hello would be good in the introduction thread.

Quote from: "The Black Jester"But trying to keep people engaged and interested surely couldn't be a bad thing, could it?  
Definitely a good thing.

Quote from: "The Black Jester"One of the main things is probably just that everyone should continue to actively engage in coming up with compelling thread topics. Best way to keep people interested, I would think - attraction rather than promotion.
Now that's a good thought. I wonder if we could sort threads by number of replies and bump the more popular one's for the noobs if they go fallow.

I've created this 'boiler plate' to help people find there way around. If you have particular 'pet threads' why not invite contribution to those by creating your own 'boiler plate'?

New Member Information
Mission Statement Why this place is here.
Forum Rules More of a set of guidelines really, upset Whitney (She who must be obeyed) and you'll find the exit door very quickly!
How do I use the quote feature? If you are new to forums this is an important feature to understand. The maximum number of nested quotes is 3.
Help desk. Any problems this is where to ask them.
What's on your mind today? The general chit chat thread.
Somewhere to discuss the fear of dying. Many ex-theists have to come to terms with death, this is a place to discuss this issue.
How to tell your family you are an atheist. Some suggestions about how to deal with this thorny issue.
Parenting Beyond Belief. The forum for discussing how to raise your children 'Faith Free'.

The Black Jester

Quote from: "Tank"I've created this 'boiler plate' to help people find there way around. If you have particular 'pet threads' why not invite contribution to those by creating your own 'boiler plate'?

Huh.  That's a good idea...I'll have to give it some thought.  Thanks!
The Black Jester

Tank

Quote from: "The Black Jester"
Quote from: "Tank"I've created this 'boiler plate' to help people find there way around. If you have particular 'pet threads' why not invite contribution to those by creating your own 'boiler plate'?

Huh.  That's a good idea...I'll have to give it some thought.  Thanks!
I don't know what the policy is but maybe adding links to personal blog would be acceptable?

i_am_i

There is a lot of atheist sites to be found, and I would imagine that it's pretty common to sign on to one and then realize it's not a good fit for you. I've done that, joined an atheist discussion for only to find that it was just a place where people, mostly young people addressing each other as "dude," would go to talk about how silly Christians are, no real discussion, just a great deal of overly emotional anti-religion ranting.

I like it here because people actually engage in discussion and debate, and there's a real good mix of individuals here. It's a great site, this.

Some people just want to chit-chat with other atheists, which is fine but that's not really what this place is about in my view.
Call me J

Sapere aude

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "i_am_i"There is a lot of atheist sites to be found, and I would imagine that it's pretty common to sign on to one and then realize it's not a good fit for you. I've done that, joined an atheist discussion for only to find that it was just a place where people, mostly young people addressing each other as "dude," would go to talk about how silly Christians are, no real discussion, just a great deal of overly emotional anti-religion ranting.

I like it here because people actually engage in discussion and debate, and there's a real good mix of individuals here. It's a great site, this.

Some people just want to chit-chat with other atheists, which is fine but that's not really what this place is about in my view.
Dude, this place definitely does rock! Xtians are teh suck!  ;) :D
-Curio

Tank

Quote from: "i_am_i"There is a lot of atheist sites to be found, and I would imagine that it's pretty common to sign on to one and then realize it's not a good fit for you. I've done that, joined an atheist discussion for only to find that it was just a place where people, mostly young people addressing each other as "dude," would go to talk about how silly Christians are, no real discussion, just a great deal of overly emotional anti-religion ranting.

Understood. So you're of the opinion that there is a sort of filter to which the people who like this place 'stick'.

KDbeads

Hey I stayed and I have poor debate skills  ;)   Have NO like minded people out here to talk with ;)

As for the odd ball trollesque type we see that really have no clue on life the universe and everything.....  Why keep them?
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

i_am_i

Quote from: "Tank"

Understood. So you're of the opinion that there is a sort of filter to which the people who like this place 'stick'.

Oh, I wouldn't say that exactly, no. But as we know there are as many kinds of atheists as there are, well, atheists, and some places fit some people better than others, that's all I'm saying.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Will

I like to think of HAF as being laid back. It's here when you feel like talking to friends or discussing a topic of interest or when you've got a gem of a story about a fundy or something. Member retention seems more like a marketing thing, as if HAF were a business. Sure, it's good to have folks around, but above all, HAF is just a community. There are times when I take a week or two off, just popping in to make sure there aren't any trolls or spammers. I've seen other forums get too aggressive in an attempt to grow the forum or force evolution on it, and it never ends well. Just ask Hitler about social darwimism!  :crazy:
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Tank

Quote from: "Will"I like to think of HAF as being laid back. It's here when you feel like talking to friends or discussing a topic of interest or when you've got a gem of a story about a fundy or something. Member retention seems more like a marketing thing, as if HAF were a business. Sure, it's good to have folks around, but above all, HAF is just a community. There are times when I take a week or two off, just popping in to make sure there aren't any trolls or spammers. I've seen other forums get too aggressive in an attempt to grow the forum or force evolution on it, and it never ends well. Just ask Hitler about social darwimism!  lol

Thumpalumpacus

You guys are fine, though, friendly without being obsequious, firm without being rude.  As someone who's recently joined, I think y'all have a good vibe here, and shouldn't change it.

Just sayin'.
Illegitimi non carborundum.