News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Things you wish you were taught when you were young

Started by Will, May 06, 2010, 08:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fester30

1.  Don't judge.  Practice acceptance and tolerance.
2.  You are perfectly capable of making your own decisions on what you believe in life.
3.  When you get in high school, you will sit down with me every time I pay bills.  You will see how much money I make at my job, and how much goes to bills, savings, investments, and clothes and food for you and your spoiled little sister.  
4.  (Added) Don't blame your parents for your failings.  You are perfectly capable of failing or succeeding on your own abilities and decisions.

That's the big stuff to me.  I was taught #1 (and didn't always practice it, so can't blame my parents for my failings).  Ooh, a #4... hold on a second.  Okay I'm back.  I was never taught 2 and 3.  I wish more than any of the others that my Dad would have sat down with me on a regular basis to discuss finances and investments.  Dad was brought up that you don't ask how much a man makes or talk about how much you make.  He extended that to his kids.  I had great parents, but had they stressed the importance of finances, I would have a lot more saved for retirement at this point.

Asmodean

Quote from: "fester30"4.  (Added) Don't blame your parents for your failings.  You are perfectly capable of failing or succeeding on your own abilities and decisions.
While you can very well rise and fall on your own, if your parents are to blame for something, why hold the blame back?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

terranus

God forbid I ever become a parent. That child would be doomed from the start.

But good luck with your daughter Will. I hope you are able to give her a happy, rounded childhood. My parents split up when
I was very young - I don't even remember the divorce. Best thing I can tell you is - don't try and make your kids choose sides whenever you have arguments with your ex, or try and convince them that their mother is crazy and that they should only listen to advice from you. Trust me, when they get older and start to understand more, they will resent you for taking those actions.

Just some friendly advice. Best of luck!
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--