News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The New Testament

Started by kelltrill, April 12, 2010, 10:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelltrill

Hi ya'll (what ya'll think of my Southern accent this morning?)

I've been blogging and debating about the danger and general shitiness of the Bible for some time now, but there's something I keep getting stuck on, and Google can't seem to help me out.
I understand that the New Testament is infinitely better than the Old Testament, and that Christians generally only use the NT for reference and all the rest. God made a new covenant with the Israelites, hence the NT, and now we are no longer under law but under grace. I understand that. I also know that only 9 of the 10 commandments are enforced in the NT and a lot of the OT laws are "fulfilled" by the death of Jesus so we no longer have to obey them etc.
But I know there is a lot wrong with this testament and I just can't seem to find it again (i found an awesome website for it a while back and now it's vanished off the face of the Earth). I stumbled across the sexist family values Jesus covers, but other than that is that the only problem with the NT? Really?
I read God is Not Great by Hitchens but I've lent the book to someone and now I can't remember what he says about it either. Sigh, I need help. Is the NT not a dangerous book at all? Thoughts? Opinions?
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

curiosityandthecat

The Skeptics Annotated Bible has a pretty comprehensive list of all the terrible crap in the Bible, and you can filter it to only show the New Testament. Here's Intolerance in the NT, for example. But you probably already knew about that.  :blush:
-Curio

kelltrill

Thanks so much, that's really helpful. I've been really struggling in debates about the New Testament lately and it's simply just not something I know enough about, especially the whole OT v NT saga. Sigh.
Atheism is so much simpler, just because there's less that's open to interpretation.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "kelltrill"Thanks so much, that's really helpful. I've been really struggling in debates about the New Testament lately and it's simply just not something I know enough about, especially the whole OT v NT saga. Sigh.
Atheism is so much simpler, just because there's less that's open to interpretation.
Pretty much.

Atheist: "There is no God."
Theist: "Well that depends on how you interpret 'God', doesn't it?"
Atheist: "Okay, there is no Sky-Daddy who watches over you with interest."
Theist: "... uhm... well that depends on how you interpret... 'sky'..."
-Curio