News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Parenting Thread :)

Started by TheOGMamaBear, October 01, 2009, 12:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hat

Not a parent, but I have a cousin who's doing pretty well with her 4 kids, discipline wise, at least I think so. The kids are nine, seven, four and two if I remember correctly. I usually dislike her methods of doing shit because she abuses the fact that my aunt just can't say no to her own daughter, but when it comes to disciplining the kids, both of them (aunt & cousin) do the same thing. If the sprogs were near something they shouldn't be near, they'd tell them to get away three times and on the fourth time if they were still there they'd get a small slap on the hand/wrist. They get an automatic and slightly harder slap if they hurt a sibling or say something they shouldn't like real bad profanity aimed at the parents or siblings, used in school etc. Yeah, all right, they cry and moan but they learn their lesson. Taught me many a lesson.

Specially when I was an itty bitty pyro at six years old who loved throwing things into the fire.

Big Mac

Quote from: "Hat"Not a parent, but I have a cousin who's doing pretty well with her 4 kids, discipline wise, at least I think so. The kids are nine, seven, four and two if I remember correctly. I usually dislike her methods of doing shit because she abuses the fact that my aunt just can't say no to her own daughter, but when it comes to disciplining the kids, both of them (aunt & cousin) do the same thing. If the sprogs were near something they shouldn't be near, they'd tell them to get away three times and on the fourth time if they were still there they'd get a small slap on the hand/wrist. They get an automatic and slightly harder slap if they hurt a sibling or say something they shouldn't like real bad profanity aimed at the parents or siblings, used in school etc. Yeah, all right, they cry and moan but they learn their lesson. Taught me many a lesson.

Specially when I was an itty bitty pyro at six years old who loved throwing things into the fire.

The good ol' Irish disciplinary method. That's a great idea. My mom used rulers a lot. Sting you and make you hate the metric system even more.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Whitney

Parents, per April's request you have a whole area of the forum dedicated to parenting.  So, feel free to start new parenting threads in your new section:

viewforum.php?f=44

TheOGMamaBear

Quote from: "Whitney"Parents, per April's request you have a whole area of the forum dedicated to parenting.  So, feel free to start new parenting threads in your new section:

viewforum.php?f=44
Awesome thanks!!
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

Don't we all love Mark Twain?

Sophus

As a father of one I am obligated to share this: Busting the Only Child Myth!  :D
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

wildfire_emissary

My 7-year old daughter does not want to go to school. She's made-up a truckload of reasons not to. And I need your advice, please. Thank you.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: wildfire_emissary on June 21, 2011, 01:31:47 AM
My 7-year old daughter does not want to go to school. She's made-up a truckload of reasons not to. And I need your advice, please. Thank you.

Finding out why would be the first thing, a more general talk with your daughter, then her teacher.

Tank

Talk to her about it, a lot. Try not to sell the idea of school to her, get her to explain what she thinks school is for and you may well find she has a misconception that you can deal with, or she may have an irrational fear or she may have a rational fear that is blown out of proportion.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Willow

There are a whole load of reasons not to go to school.  She might not be safe there because school cannot separate others who might harm her from the group.
She might be bored by what they do at school.
She might not like sitting down, shutting up and doing as she's told.
Maybe she questions authority and wants to be herself.
She is unlikely to learn well if she doesn't enjoy what she's doing.
School is sometimes a least worst option, but often not even that.  You don't have to make her go.

wildfire_emissary

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 21, 2011, 02:14:08 AM
Finding out why would be the first thing, a more general talk with your daughter, then her teacher.
In my observation, I think she's having difficulty leaving her activities at home and she finds school activities rather boring. As a response, I am making home a boring place. I'm keeping her toys away, banned TV time during school days, and even her after-school playtime. I told her she'll get those during the weekend. I talked to her teacher and she said that my kid has separation anxiety.

Quote from: Tank on June 21, 2011, 06:53:00 AM
Talk to her about it, a lot. Try not to sell the idea of school to her, get her to explain what she thinks school is for and you may well find she has a misconception that you can deal with, or she may have an irrational fear or she may have a rational fear that is blown out of proportion.
I tried talking to her calmly but she just refuses to answer straightforwardly. She gives me different reasons like schooltime is very long, her teacher scolded her (she made this up), she hates the uniform, her seatmate has bad breath etc. I'm kinda thinking of spanking her sometimes but I know it'll just worsen the situation.

Quote from: Willow on June 21, 2011, 09:53:47 AM
There are a whole load of reasons not to go to school.  She might not be safe there because school cannot separate others who might harm her from the group.
She might be bored by what they do at school.
She might not like sitting down, shutting up and doing as she's told.
Maybe she questions authority and wants to be herself.
She is unlikely to learn well if she doesn't enjoy what she's doing.
School is sometimes a least worst option, but often not even that.  You don't have to make her go.
A lot of what you said are likely and probable. Is there a better way of knowing which is/are the culprit/s?

Thank you.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Willow

Quote from: wildfire_emissary on June 22, 2011, 02:53:28 PM
[Is there a better way of knowing which is/are the culprit/s?

Ask her?