News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Local Kids Have Fun Learning About Jeebus

Started by michael, July 06, 2009, 12:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael

This pissed me off.

I clicked on the headline Urbandale Kids Discover Fun (I live in Urbandale) in one of my feeds.  I have a 7 year old boy, and I thought perhaps this -- whatever it was -- might be something he would enjoy.

Alas, this was the article:

This year's vacation Bible school at St. Stephen's Lutheran Church in Urbandale was all about discovery. Students of all ages explored the wonders of the word of God with a "Discovery Canyon" theme.

Every day was different during the week of June 22-26. Different activities and topics provided a variety of ways to learn about Jesus.

The camp tied nature into exploring the Bible. Each group of kids had an animal name. Each day they had a critter and a topic to study and each session focused on a new way of looking at the Bible. Ask, seek, pray, rejoice and tell were the means for exploring the Bible.

"I'm having fun while learning about Jesus," said Lydia Shook, 8, of Urbandale. "We get to play tons of games."

Misleading headline, first of all.  Second, why does Christianity get so much press?  I wonder, if this was a group dedicated to educating kids about critical thinking, and especially focusing on the fact that there is no proof for a god, would the newspaper have published an article about it?

I can just imagine the quote: "I'm having fun while learning that when you die, you're simply dead -- no heaven or hell", said Lydia Shook, 8, of Urbandale.  "We get to play tons of games."

To me, it almost reads as an ad for this church.  Must be nice to get free publicity.
Hi.  Click these links to follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, and visit my personal website.
[size=85]"But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under

Heretical Rants

The churches get free ads here, too.

I know because there is a constantly published list of churches in the local paper.

If it was a paid ad, I think the churches would all do it separately, like this:

Come to OUR Easter service.

Flip the page,
NO, come to OUR Easter service

Instead, it's all on one block and is in bullet note format.

Will

They get free press because the majority of people still believe in god. If you ran a paper and were worried about damnation, you'd publish, too.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Enoch Root

QuoteI wonder, if this was a group dedicated to educating kids about critical thinking, and especially focusing on the fact that there is no proof for a god, would the newspaper have published an article about it?

I'm pretty sure the newspapers would be all over a group like that.  Just not as flattering.

And they'd get plenty of letters to the editor about it.