News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

OK state capital to display 6' 10C monument

Started by VietnamVet-BRIGHT, May 30, 2009, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VietnamVet-BRIGHT

As usual, Republicans excusing the blatant breach of the 1st Amendment as simply a history lesson:

QuoteOklahoma state Capitol to display Ten Commandments

Not even a popular governor dared stand in the way of the Ten Commandments.

Gov. Brad Henry, with some polls showing him having a popularity rating of nearly 70 percent, signed without comment Monday a measure to place a Ten Commandments monument on the state Capitol grounds.

Had Henry vetoed House Bill 1330, it was likely the GOP-run Legislature would have overridden it, something that has occurred only once in the 61/2 years Henry has been governor. The measure easily passed both chambers: 83-2 in the House and 38-8 in the Senate.

"It’s time now to go to the design part,” said Rep. Mike Ritze, the measure’s author and a freshman legislator.

Ritze, R-Broken Arrow, said the monument will re-emphasize the history and heritage of America’s legal system.

"Our laws spring from English law, which is ultimately rooted in Mosaic Law,” he said.

"The history of many of our current laws can be traced to the Ten Commandments, and this monument will simply acknowledge that heritage.”

The measure takes effect Nov. 1. The State Capitol Preservation Commission is authorized to find a spot for the monument, according to the bill.

Ritze said his family will pay for the design and construction of the 6-foot monolith, as well as maintenance costs. He estimated the monument’s cost to be about $10,000.

Ritze said the U.S. Supreme Court has upheld a similar monument’s existence on the Texas Capitol grounds. Ritze, a physician, said he didn’t know whether a lawsuit would be filed to challenge Oklahoma’s monument.

"In this situation, there could be,” he said. "We’ve prepared for it in the bill.”

The measure identifies the Liberty Legal Institute, which was involved in the defense of the Texas monument, as being available to help the attorney general’s office defend a legal challenge.

Reaction varies

The American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma may file a lawsuit depending on how it fares with its challenge to a Ten Commandments monument in Haskell County, said Tamya Cox, the group’s legislative counsel.

"We’re very disappointed the governor signed House Bill 1330,” she said. "It usurped the First Amendment. Thankfully, we have until Nov. 1 before the monument could be erected, so we are going to definitely take our time.”

The Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty also opposed the monument being placed on the Capitol grounds.

"We should be more concerned with following the Ten Commandments rather than merely posting them on government property,” said K. Hollyn Hollman, the committee’s general counsel. "Religion flourishes best when the separation of church and state is protected.”

Sen. Randy Brogdon, Senate sponsor of HB 1330, said he is "tickled pink” the governor signed the measure.

"He chose to be with the people on this one,” said Brogdon, R-Owasso. "It was widely supported by people around the state. I was pleasantly surprised.”

Video of Republican State Representative Ritze explaining this ...
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-state-capito ... nes_widget?

Whitney

Quote from: "VietnamVet-BRIGHT"Ritze, R-Broken Arrow, said the monument will re-emphasize the history and heritage of America’s legal system.

"Our laws spring from English law, which is ultimately rooted in Mosaic Law,” he said.

Uh....seriously?  :upset:

Will

I'd very much like to start a petition to have a 6' tall stone tablet with the eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts":
   1. I'd really rather you didn't act like a sanctimonious holier-than-thou ass when describing my noodly goodness. If some people don't believe in me, that's okay. Really, I'm not that vain. Besides, this isn't about them so don't change the subject.
   2. I'd really rather you didn't use my existence as a means to oppress, subjugate, punish, eviscerate, and/or, you know, be mean to others. I don't require sacrifices, and purity is for drinking water, not people.
   3. I'd really rather you didn't judge people for the way they look, or how they dress, or the way they talk, or, well, just play nice, okay? Oh, and get this into your thick heads: woman = person. man = person. Samey-Samey. One is not better than the other, unless we're talking about fashion and I'm sorry, but I gave that to women and some guys who know the difference between teal and fuchsia.
   4. I'd really rather you didn't indulge in conduct that offends yourself, or your willing, consenting partner of legal age AND mental maturity. As for anyone who might object, I think the expression is "go fuck yourself," unless they find that offensive in which case they can turn off the TV for once and go on a walk for a change.
   5. I'd really rather you didn't challenge the bigoted, misogynistic, hateful ideas of others on an empty stomach. Eat, then go after the bastards.
   6. I'd really rather you didn't build multi-million dollar churches / temples / mosques / shrines to my noodly goodness when the money could be better spent (take your pick):
         1. Ending poverty
         2. Curing diseases
         3. Living in peace, loving with passion, and lowering the cost of cable
      I might be a complex-carbohydrate omniscient being, but I enjoy the simple things in life. I ought to know. I AM the creator.
   7. I'd really rather you didn't go around telling people I talk to you. You're not that interesting. Get over yourself. And I told you to love your fellow man, can't you take a hint?
   8. I'd really rather you didn't do unto others as you would have them do unto you if you are into, um, stuff that uses a lot of leather/lubricant/Las Vegas. If the other person is into it, however (pursuant to #4), then have at it, take pictures, and for the love of Mike, wear a CONDOM! Honestly, it's a piece of rubber. If I didn't want it to feel good when you did it I would have added spikes, or something.

Ramen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gospel_of_the_Flying_Spaghetti_Monster#The_Eight_.22I.27d_Really_Rather_You_Didn.27ts.22
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Enoch Root

Quote"Our laws spring from English law, which is ultimately rooted in Mosaic Law,” he said.

What's funny is that only one of the ten commandments is actually a law in America: "You shall not murder."  Two if you stretch things to equate "You shall not bear false witness" with perjury.

But I guess a statue of the "Two Commandments" wouldn't go over very well in Oklahoma.

Atrax Robustus

Quote"Our laws spring from English law, which is ultimately rooted in Mosaic Law,” he said.

Taking this to its logical conclsion then, a monument with heiroglyphs (complete with english translation) of the declarations from the Egyptian Book of the Dead is more appropriate?  :|
If you want to challenge reality you need to read more than one book.