News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Newsweek: "The End of Christian America"

Started by Martian, April 08, 2009, 02:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martian

Ahh, it's been a while since I was last at these forums.

This interesting article reminded of you guys: http://www.newsweek.com/id/192583/page/1

The article is about the decline of Christianity in America. (written with a little Christian bias)

Quote from: "The End of Christian America"Americans who claim no religious affiliation has nearly doubled since 1990, rising from 8 to 15 percent.
Hopefully this trend will continue!
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
-Thomas Jefferson

(I DON'T BELIEVE GOD EXISTS)

Kylyssa

It was pretty disgusting that that piece of tripe made it to Newsweek.  

The problem with their study is that they are (once again) lumping all people without a specific religious affiliation together as non-believers.  It's not that it wouldn't be nice, it's just that a bunch of folks who claim to not be religious will tell you they believe in Jesus,God, Sasquatch, or the ever annoying "something" some folks use to indicate they are Deists.

PipeBox

Quote from: "Kylyssa"It was pretty disgusting that that piece of tripe made it to Newsweek.  

The problem with their study is that they are (once again) lumping all people without a specific religious affiliation together as non-believers.  It's not that it wouldn't be nice, it's just that a bunch of folks who claim to not be religious will tell you they believe in Jesus,God, Sasquatch, or the ever annoying "something" some folks use to indicate they are Deists.

Funny thing is the fundies hate it as much as we do.  For different reasons, of course, but all stem from it being a shoddy article.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

pastafarian

Aside from it being a shoddy article, they are calling it "Christian America." There never was a Christian America; there is an America made of Christians, but that is entirely different. Christian America implies that America is based and/or follows and incorporates Christianity with the government, that is not what America is. The United States was founded on the basis of freedom of and the freedom from religion, that means no religion in the government. America may have a Christian majority, but so what? all that means is that there are mostly Christians, but we do not and should not run this country based on Christian principles or ideology. Christian America is and idiotic term that says there is no separation of church and state and that would be horrendous. Goddammit Newsweek, are your editors dumb enough not to know that? :brick:

Sorry for the little rant, but idiocy makes me angry
"Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color."
--Don Hirschberg