News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Hello all!

Started by VanReal, January 11, 2009, 06:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanReal

Hello all, just popping in to have a place to discuss things without the constant references to religion.  Although it's impossible to escape it, everything surrounds it, and it is constantly looming everywhere, it's nice to have a place to discuss issues or even random things without the morality of it or thought process involved being given to a belief based solely on faith.  I don't consider myself to be an atheist as I think that lends credence to the whole organized religion problem and saying I don't believe or don't belong rears it's ugly head and has nothing to do with who I am.  I view religion as the root of all evil and a peoples way of controlling the masses with fear and contridiction.  Parents use it to get their children to behave, governments use it to justify it's laws and processes, and others use it to lobby their agenda.  I don't believe in any higher power and feel all those that are spoken of are man-made and there is no reason for me to ackowledge that I don't believe in them.  Much like Santa, the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny I never used them to get my children to behave or to form my values.  I prefer animals to humans as they do what they do and are what they are and if one were to jump me, kill me and eat me I know they would't claim that some invisible being told them to.  I am a bit bitter about having to bow my head in moments of prayer so I choose not to, and I can't stand "God" getting credit for good things that happen through sheer hard work and community efforts.  I like to read and watch tv, love to laugh, rarely bother with makeup, and if sports disappeared today I wouldn't even notice.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

curiosityandthecat

I, like you, would not miss sports, and I most likely use make-up even less often than you do.  :D

Welcome!
-Curio

Whitney

Hi Van, welcome to the forum.  If you haven't already click on the "meetup" link in my sig.  It will take you to the Free-Thinkers of Dallas meetup site (I organize it).

gwyn428

Quote from: "VanReal"I like to read and watch tv, love to laugh, rarely bother with makeup, and if sports disappeared today I wouldn't even notice.

Welcome to the board!  :)

I think that people who like to read realize how valuable their human mind is. People who do not care for reading seem to admire readers but just cannot get inspired to pick up a book for once.

I wouldn't even notice if sports disappeared either. My next door neighbor though, well, we would hear him scream "noooooo!!" possibly followed by a crashing sound.

VanReal

Quote from: "gwyn428"
Quote from: "VanReal"I like to read and watch tv, love to laugh, rarely bother with makeup, and if sports disappeared today I wouldn't even notice.

Welcome to the board!  :)

I think that people who like to read realize how valuable their human mind is. People who do not care for reading seem to admire readers but just cannot get inspired to pick up a book for once.

I wouldn't even notice if sports disappeared either. My next door neighbor though, well, we would hear him scream "noooooo!!" possibly followed by a crashing sound.

I know what you mean!  I work for a school district in Texas and the fact that I don't follow High School football is considered to be a red flag of insanity!  My son tells me sports are what motivate people to be competitive and physically fit, and without them we would all just sit around and get fat.   I see his point but I seem to be surviving so far, hehe.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

gwyn428

I think it is Capitalism that motivates people to be competitive. As far as being physically fit... hmm.. there is always the chance of walking everyday and eating right.