News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Trolling 101

Started by curiosityandthecat, December 12, 2008, 03:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

My guess is, we've seen the last of messenger. Dunno about you guys, but his 'message' changed me. I can now feel god in my loins.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

BadPoison

Quote from: "karadan"I can now feel god in my loins.
Don't mistake the fantastic for the supernatural!

:banna:

Kylyssa

Another good way to spot a troll is that it doesn't answer certain questions, it cherry picks them just as Fundies cherry pick the Bible.  Any question which highlights the troll nature or stupidity of its claims will be ignored as if it didn't exist.

Asmodean

There will always be trolls AND there will always be troll-feeders. A good thread though, Cat.  :hail:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Kylyssa

Trolls are like heroin.  Some people can't resist playing with them even though they KNOW that.  I must be a troll addict.  Where is there a good troll rehab facility where we can kick the T?

McQ

Quote from: "Kylyssa"Trolls are like heroin.  Some people can't resist playing with them even though they KNOW that.  I must be a troll addict.  Where is there a good troll rehab facility where we can kick the T?

It takes every bit of self-control I have to keep from playing with them. That, and if I set a naughty example, the boss will take away my magic powers.  :D

Perhaps this would be a support group for us? TTA (Troll Teasers Anonymous).
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

spartacus

trolling spells the death knell for those who prefer to play devils advocate

Whitney

Quote from: "spartacus"trolling spells the death knell for those who prefer to play devils advocate

Someone who is playing the devil's advocate intelligently wouldn't be singled out as a troll   ;)

However, rule 1 has been interpreted in the past to include not presenting yourself as something you are not to the forum.  Which directly excludes having an account just to play devil's advocate.  Those that want to discuss that way can just do so; like I have occasionally in the past.

G.ENIGMA

Well now I know the difference between a troll and spammer ... Until now I thought that they were both the same  :blink: ) have something to promote but I thought that they both just entered a forum, promoted a bad link off topic and left like a vulture  :beer: ...

Now I know the difference

One's an annoying little sh**te who like to leave trouble in his wake :brick:

Thanks for the info  :lol:

Love the smilies by the way, I couldnt resist using them.
To those who are overly cautious, everything seems impossible.

Benoît Bôls

Trolls are your best entertainment value! Whenever we get one on my forum, we have all kinds of fun with it!
"Nothing frightens me more than religion at my door."
- John Cale

liveyoungdiefast

I've moderated and administrated heavy traffic forums. Troll slaying is a specialty of mine and I take great pride in it.

Kodanshi

Quote from: "liveyoungdiefast"I've moderated and administrated heavy traffic forums. Troll slaying is a specialty of mine and I take great pride in it.
[size=85]“I've been planning to end at 1 hp for years now.”[/size]

maestroanth

BadPoison

Quote from: "maestroanth"is warhammer fun?
Bleh

Recusant

I think it's worth while to append two references to this very useful and entertaining thread.  They are both rather old, and more oriented to the world of usenet, but I think still quite applicable, not to mention fun reading, especially the second.

1) Trolling Lore is a very good overview of the subject, and food for thought, as an explanation of certain phenomena one sees on forums on 'teh interwebs.'

2) Linked from the previous page is the roster of types of Flame Warriors, which is a very amusing menagerie, indeed.  I recognize aspects of myself in some of these critters.   :P

Probably many of you have seen both of them previously, but I'm posting this for the rest of y'all.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken