News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Goin' Old School

Started by oldschooldoc, November 22, 2008, 04:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschooldoc

First, I need to apologize for not formally introducing myself sooner.

I was brought up in two very different households. My time was split between my parents and the experiences were pretty different. My mom was a life-long, every-Sunday-no-matter-what Baptist. My step-mother is an extremely devout Catholic (her father is a deacon).

For 10 years, I had secretly thought I was an agnostic, but once I realized that when it's your time to go, it's your time to go. There is no plan, and there is nothing after. Life is life, and you better live it to your full potential because you will never live again.

That may sound pessimistic, but it is actually what has made me want to be a better person and live up to my full potential. I won't get another chance in some 'afterlife'. I don't have to live in fear of hell, or live to please some sadistic supernatural being in the sky. I am free, I am free, I am free.

I look forward to many fruitful discussions on a forum such as this.
OldSchoolDoc

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill" - Neil Peart
"Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try..." - John Lennon

curiosityandthecat

An oh, so common story... maybe not the specifics, sure, but the "falling away", very much so.

Welcome aboard!
-Curio

McQ

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the intro!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

oldschooldoc

You know McQ, your avatar picture really makes me think of two of my favorite books. 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. 1984 for obvious, big brother reasons. Fahrenheit 451 because I've always imagined the eyes of the mechanical hounds looking just like that!
OldSchoolDoc

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill" - Neil Peart
"Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try..." - John Lennon

DennisK

Welcome.  I am very sorry about your mother.  Although, it is good to have you on the side of reason.  I can relate to your catholic upbringing.  One positive about it is you do get good exercise.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp