News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Is the universe finite, or infinite

Started by fundie, August 26, 2006, 10:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fundie

Seems to me, that whatever positiion you adopt, there are inherent inconsistences and difficulties in the reality you percieve.

If the universe is infinite, then that would invalidate the posture you take regarding the age of the universe at 14.5 billion years, or whatever the current theory holds it at.
You cosmologists know what I mean.

If the universe is finite, then what, if anything, exists outside of the currently expanding universe?  What is the universe expanding into?

Again, I have heard the cosmologists' arguments.  I would like you to re-iterate and clarify them for the benefit of all on this board.

I, myself, hold to the view that God holds knowledge outside our human understanding.  Prove me wrong, if you will.

Squid

Operationalize the terms "infinite" and "finite" in relation to the central theme of the discussion first - we don't like equivocation.

joeactor

Quote from: "Squid"Operationalize the terms "infinite" and "finite" in relation to the central theme of the discussion first - we don't like equivocation.

Or perhaps we should discuss "bounded" vs. "unbounded".

I'll have to dust off my brain, but I seem to recall that there are levels of infinity in theoretical mathematics.

McQ

See the thread, "Compacting Universe Before the Big Bang" for a lot of this topic.

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/ftopic12.html
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

fundie

Quote from: "Squid"Operationalize the terms "infinite" and "finite" in relation to the central theme of the discussion first - we don't like equivocation.
Please elucidate, squid, in a way the average person/layman on this forum would understand.

After all, if you cannot convince your fellow citizens, what hope have you of convincing the acedemia?

Whitney

Quote from: "fundie"After all, if you cannot convince your fellow citizens, what hope have you of convincing the acedemia?

That makes absolutely no sense, those in the field don't need terms to be dumbed down.

Anyway this has already been discussed in the thread McQ referenced.  Please don't start new threads for topics which have already been covered...you can't claim ignorance since you were around and have been lurking as those discussions went on.

Btw, an infinate universe wouldn't invalidate the ~14.5 year old age because that time line is measured from the BB (the age of the known universe).  Also, we don't exist for your entertainment or educational purposes...nor would anyone's inablitiy to provide a solid answer mean that your god theory is right.

Squid

Quote from: "fundie"
Please elucidate, squid, in a way the average person/layman on this forum would understand.

After all, if you cannot convince your fellow citizens, what hope have you of convincing the acedemia?

Operationalize is defined as follows:

Quoteto define a concept or variable so that it can be measured or expressed quantitatively.

Straight from the dictionary.

joeactor

Quote from: "McQ"See the thread, "Compacting Universe Before the Big Bang" for a lot of this topic.

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/ftopic12.html

Thanks much McQ - very in-depth (and long) thread... but interesting.

I'm also seeing where some of the current frustration with onlyme comes from.

My personal philosopy:  if you're stuck in a repeating pattern, disengage.

When other posters derail or become abusive, stop responding.  Like any flame, they will soon go out without fuel...

In any case, thanks again,
   JoeActor