Author Topic: Google vs. Bush and Blair?  (Read 440 times)

joeactor

  • That guy you know.
  • Global Moderator
  • Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
  • *****
  • Posts: 3473
  • Gender: Male
  • Reading Invisible Ink Novels
    • Joe's Dump
Google vs. Bush and Blair?
« on: August 24, 2006, 07:17:10 PM »
Google may change this soon, but I tried the following and it worked for me...

Do a Google search for "failure" and the top result is a link to George W. Bush's bio at whitehouse.gov.

Do a Google search for "liar" and you'll get Tony Blair's.

Google's definitely treading on thin ice.  No matter which side you're on, this seems foolhardy.

Here's a recent blog on the topic:
  Blog on Google for failure and liar
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by joeactor »

iplaw

  • Not Sure About That Kool-Aid
  • **
  • Posts: 322
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 08:01:35 PM »
Did anyone see that Tom Cruise's approval rating is lower than GWBs?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by iplaw »

joeactor

  • That guy you know.
  • Global Moderator
  • Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
  • *****
  • Posts: 3473
  • Gender: Male
  • Reading Invisible Ink Novels
    • Joe's Dump
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 08:34:32 PM »
Quote from: "iplaw"
Did anyone see that Tom Cruise's approval rating is lower than GWBs?


I missed that one - do you have a news reference?

Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom...

(and when do we get a peek at the invisible "Suri"?)
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by joeactor »

Whitney

  • Administrator
  • Don't Pray in My School, and I Won't Think in Your Church
  • *****
  • Posts: 7358
  • Gender: Female
  • Mysteriously Absent - Like God
    • http://fellowshipoffreethought.org
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 10:56:42 PM »
A whole bunch of cyber geeks got together and put together keywords specifically targeted to make "Bush" turn up in Google searches for the word "failure."  The keywords that got things like Bush's website ranked high, I think, has something to do with them putting links to his and other Bush sites on sites which put a strong emphasis on the keyword failure.  So, every time someone from a "failure" site links to a Bush site that failure site is essentially casting a vote for the Bush site while linking it to the word failure.  

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/09/ ... ilure.html
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Whitney »

joeactor

  • That guy you know.
  • Global Moderator
  • Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
  • *****
  • Posts: 3473
  • Gender: Male
  • Reading Invisible Ink Novels
    • Joe's Dump
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 02:12:55 AM »
Quote from: "laetusatheos"
A whole bunch of cyber geeks got together and put together keywords specifically targeted to make "Bush" turn up in Google searches for the word "failure."  The keywords that got things like Bush's website ranked high, I think, has something to do with them putting links to his and other Bush sites on sites which put a strong emphasis on the keyword failure.  So, every time someone from a "failure" site links to a Bush site that failure site is essentially casting a vote for the Bush site while linking it to the word failure.  

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/09/ ... ilure.html


Thanks for the info... that's geeky chic...

So, how long until Al Gore's internet takes over the free world?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by joeactor »

Tom62

  • Global Moderator
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
  • *****
  • Posts: 4048
  • Gender: Male
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 08:05:53 AM »
Quote from: "joeactor"
So, how long until Al Gore's internet takes over the free world?


I don't get it, since when does Al Gore own an Internet? What makes "his" Internet different from the current one? I quite curious, because all the years that I've worked in IT, I've never heard from an Al Gore Internet.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Tom62 »
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

iplaw

  • Not Sure About That Kool-Aid
  • **
  • Posts: 322
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 02:12:03 PM »
I think he's referring to the "I invented the Internet" myth quote that was circulating about Algore that wasn't true...anyways, like we needed another reason not to like that petrified tree stump.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by iplaw »

Tom62

  • Global Moderator
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
  • *****
  • Posts: 4048
  • Gender: Male
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 03:11:20 PM »
Quote from: "iplaw"
anyways, like we needed another reason not to like that petrified tree stump.


I love that expression. Having the "furtune" of living abroad, I don't know Al Gore as well as you do. What I remember of Gore was that he was very boring and had indeed the charm of a tree stump. The way he walked and talked sometimes reminded me of the Borgs from Star Trek "We are the Gores, resistance is futile" (or better "We are the Bores... etc.")
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Tom62 »
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Big Mac

  • Buddies With Uncle Bert
  • ****
  • Posts: 1226
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 05:12:24 PM »
I'm super super serial.

Eh Bush sucks but imagine life under Gore. We'd be invaded by now and under the warm bossum of socialism. That and we won't have guns, fun, sex, beer, weed, etc. because Al Gore would say they contribute to his Global Warming scare tactic.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Big Mac »
Quote from: "PoopShoot"
And what if pigs shit candy?

Jassman

  • Doesn't Believe in Mother Goose
  • *
  • Posts: 192
    • http://www.outsidethetesseract.com
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 10:18:02 PM »
You're opinion of Al Gore may change slightly from this video (2 parts) directed by Spike Jonze. I think this was just before the 2000 'election' (can we call that one an election?). Al Gore went from talking robot to real, intelligent human being in my head as I watched it.

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=al+gore+spike+jonze&search=Search
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Jassman »
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

joeactor

  • That guy you know.
  • Global Moderator
  • Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
  • *****
  • Posts: 3473
  • Gender: Male
  • Reading Invisible Ink Novels
    • Joe's Dump
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 10:58:59 PM »
I for one like Al Gore.

I'd definitely take him over Chimpy McFlightsuit any day.
The man's not only an embarrassment to his country, he's an embarrassment to his species... oh, wait... God created him, so, never mind...

At this point, a hydrocephalic sea cucumber on acid could run the country better.

Just my opinion, but seems like one that's not too uncommon these days.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by joeactor »

MommaSquid

  • Living a Thoughtcrime
  • ****
  • Posts: 1019
    • http://www.randomthoughtsbymommasquid.blogspot.com/
Re: Google vs. Bush and Blair?
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 05:08:58 AM »
Quote from: "joeactor"
Do a Google search for "failure" and the top result is a link to George W. Bush's bio at whitehouse.gov.

Do a Google search for "liar" and you'll get Tony Blair's.

Google's definitely treading on thin ice.  No matter which side you're on, this seems foolhardy.

At first I thought it was funny, but it really just undermines Google's credibility.  Why use their search engine if they can screw with things behind the scenes to have a laugh.  

Quote from: "joeactor"
I for one like Al Gore.


He's not suave, but he's a good guy.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by MommaSquid »

Jassman

  • Doesn't Believe in Mother Goose
  • *
  • Posts: 192
    • http://www.outsidethetesseract.com
Re: Google vs. Bush and Blair?
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 12:40:15 AM »
Quote from: "MommaSquid"
At first I thought it was funny, but it really just undermines Google's credibility.  Why use their search engine if they can screw with things behind the scenes to have a laugh.  


As laetus already explained, it's not Google doing this. It's people exploiting the way the Google search engine works. I think it's a great idea. "Google bombing" is being used extensively in the Internet Vs. Scientology battle that's going on. That's why a Google search for Scientology shows Operation: Clambake, a website designed to expose the fraud of the religion, as the second search result.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Jassman »
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

fundie

  • Made of Star Stuff
  • *
  • Posts: 57
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 12:43:02 AM »
Hooray for poodle Blair.

All hail our prime minister.  A christian who is acting in the best interest of the world at large.    Who puts the needs of others before himself.

Not
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by fundie »

MommaSquid

  • Living a Thoughtcrime
  • ****
  • Posts: 1019
    • http://www.randomthoughtsbymommasquid.blogspot.com/
Re: Google vs. Bush and Blair?
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 06:29:26 AM »
Quote from: "Jassman"
As laetus already explained, it's not Google doing this. It's people exploiting the way the Google search engine works.


Sorry, I didn't catch that.  I heard it was an inside job.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by MommaSquid »