News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

universal mind

Started by quizlixx, September 09, 2008, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quizlixx

the theory of the universal mind is that all existence is contributing their thoughts and ideas to a universal mind. i don't believe this, but what are your takes on it?
There really isn't any logic behind this at all, but i would be more apt to believe this than a god.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

jcm

Quote from: "quizlixx"the theory of the universal mind is that all existence is contributing their thoughts and ideas to a universal mind. i don't believe this, but what are your takes on it?
There really isn't any logic behind this at all, but i would be more apt to believe this than a god.

I don't believe in a universal mind, but I do agree that the universe has a mind because lifeforms have minds. I see the universe, (whatever it is) existing as energy in different states. quarks, protons, gold, bananas, brain cells, water, and christmas trees all exist as a different state of the universe. If you pull apart anything you ultimately arrive at the same basic stuff as everything else - energy. So I own my mind and am conscious as much as the universe is conscious. I am nothing special, just the universe in a different state.

"We are a way for the universe to know itself" - sagan
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

quizlixx

Quote from: "jcm"
Quote from: "quizlixx"the theory of the universal mind is that all existence is contributing their thoughts and ideas to a universal mind. i don't believe this, but what are your takes on it?

I don't believe in a universal mind, but I do agree that the universe has a mind because lifeforms have minds. I see the universe, (whatever it is) existing as energy in different states. quarks, protons, gold, bananas, brain cells, water, and christmas trees all exist as a different state of the universe. If you pull apart anything you ultimately arrive at the same basic stuff as everything else - energy. So I own my mind and am conscious as much as the universe is conscious. I am nothing special, just the universe in a different state.

"We are a way for the universe to know itself" - sagan
it makes a good fairy tale. but thats all
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Asmodean

As far as I have seen and read, it only makes for a good fairy tale in Final Fantasy. (VII, the original 1990s game, makes for the best one) And their idea of Universal Mind is not all that universal as it seems to be contained by the planet.

When it comes to my point of view on this hypothesis, until proven otherwise, I believe that when I die, my thoughts and experiences are no more. Thus, there is no such thing as universal mind.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.