News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Greetings from Sweden

Started by oscarc, July 21, 2008, 08:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscarc

Hi,

or, the title is actually a not true, as I really live in Germany now, but anyway I will move back to Sweden shortly.

I can now almost call myself an atheist now since about last week. Until then, I have either or both been a combination
of an agnostic and apatheist. However, as I recently gave religion (or lack of) a thought, I realised that the reason for me
to have been agnostic was through bruteless coercesion from old fairytales. Therefore, I thought that I would "make up my
mind", I thought it might help in some way..

I am also "part" of the swedish protestantic church. I have many times flirted with the thought of leaving the church.
By leaving, I will pay less taxes, with the downside that a possible marriage would cost me more. Although a non-religious
matrimony would be nice, my would be wife might or might not feel the same.

Anyway, nice meeting you guys here!

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Chimera

"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

Will

Quote from: "Asmodean"Fra Sverige, er du? :beer:
You scandinavian stinker! You beat me to exhausting all of my linguistic skills!

Welcome to the forum, Osarc!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Willravel"You scandinavian stinker!

Boy, there's something you don't hear every day.  :D
-Curio

Asmodean

Quote from: "Willravel"You scandinavian stinker! You beat me to exhausting all of my linguistic skills!
LOL! You still can - my reply was in Norwegian, not Swedish.  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

myleviathan

Quote from: "oscarc"By leaving, I will pay less taxes, with the downside that a possible marriage would cost me more. Although a non-religious matrimony would be nice, my would be wife might or might not feel the same.  

In Sweden you pay less tax if you don't go to church?? I'd like to see what would happen if they did that in the US. There would definitely be less church attendance. Anyway - welcome to the forum.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Evolved

Welcome to the forum, Oscarc!  I hope that you have a great time here.
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

Tom62

Welcome Oscarc. If you are living now in Germany, why do you still have to pay (church)taxes in Sweden? Are you taxed in Sweden instead of in Germany? When I moved to Germany I registered myself as an non-believer, which saves me thousands of Euro's every year. When my wife and I got married, she insisted as well on a religious service. We just rented the chapel and a trained theologian for that purpose.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

SteveS

Hey oscarc, welcome to the board!  That tax policy sounds cool --- I wish I could officially declare my atheism at the benefit of saving some tax money.  Wouldn't take me long to make up my mind about that....  :D

Tom62

Quote from: "SteveS"
Quote from: "Tom62"We just rented the chapel and a trained theologian for that purpose.
Tom, this struck me as funny - I have to wonder, what are the qualifications to become a "trained theologian"?  Hehe...
I'm quite sure that she was trained in something  :lol: . I wrote this before I had my first cup of coffee, which means that my mind was still running on autopilot.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

crocofish

Quote from: "oscarc"I have many times flirted with the thought of leaving the church.  By leaving, I will pay less taxes, with the downside that a possible marriage would cost me more.
That would be a great idea in the U.S.  I'm tired of subsidizing the megachurches, and churches in general, who get tax exemptions.  Of course, it probably wouldn't happen any time in the near future in the U.S.

Welcome to the forum, oscarc.  I will be visiting Germany and Sweden for the first time in late September.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown