News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

You as terrififed as me of Roy Moore be elected to Alabama Senate?

Started by Curt, October 01, 2017, 12:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

How I miss George Carlin.

What I could never understand about religious displays and monuments on public (i.e. government/state) property is why those same displays and monuments can't go on private property?  The way some religious carry on, you'd think if they aren't displayed on public property they'd never be seen at all.

The 10 Commandments could be put up in front of churches, private schools, private clubs, etc.  Nativity scenes can go up in front of all those places as well as businesses and homes.  Why muddy the separation of church and state?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

Quote from: Davin on October 02, 2017, 07:34:16 PM
Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 06:42:33 PM
Im not terrified one bit.

Since when are the ten commandments controversial?

Is stealing,adutlery, coveting neighbors goods suddenly seen as good? Come on people

I am in Minnesota and I can't wait for some big stone tablets to come up near the capital. It would do Moses proud!
Did you miss the 2nd commandment? Because that shit's hilarious.

Well in a way she did. See, the Catholics adjusted the Ten Commandments from the Biblical version to their own, in which the second commandment refers not to graven images, but to not taking "the name of the Lord thy God in vain" (comparison).
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Quote from: Recusant on October 03, 2017, 06:48:48 AM
Quote from: Davin on October 02, 2017, 07:34:16 PM
Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 06:42:33 PM
Im not terrified one bit.

Since when are the ten commandments controversial?

Is stealing,adutlery, coveting neighbors goods suddenly seen as good? Come on people

I am in Minnesota and I can't wait for some big stone tablets to come up near the capital. It would do Moses proud!
Did you miss the 2nd commandment? Because that shit's hilarious.

Well in a way she did. See, the Catholics adjusted the Ten Commandments from the Biblical version to their own, in which the second commandment refers not to graven images, but to not taking "the name of the Lord thy God in vain" (comparison).
There is still the bit in there about graven images, and the "ten commandments" that Moore was ordered to remove had the "Thou shalt not have any graven images" right on it. It's funny how they fought to keep something that their own religion told them not to have and have them still try to argue for it because of their religious beliefs.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

In the Protestant version yes, the commandment about graven images is there, but in the Catholic version, no. Both links I gave show that.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Quote from: Davin on October 03, 2017, 03:50:21 PM
It's in the bible that the Catholics use is all I mean.

I understand now. Yes of course you're correct.

With Catholicism though, "Tradition" (the supposedly divinely inspired teachings of the church) has equal standing with the Bible. According to Catholicism the Bible itself says that scripture alone is not sufficient. This is mostly based on 2 Timothy. From the above source:

QuoteThe Bible denies that it is sufficient as the complete rule of faith. Paul says that much Christian teaching is to be found in the tradition which is handed down by word of mouth (2 Tim. 2:2).

But then 2 Timothy is one of the epistles of Paul that even Catholics acknowledge as "disputed." Whatever, the Catholic catechism is a means of transmitting "Tradition" and its version of the Ten Commandments is what Catholics are taught.
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

That is one of the many issue I have with Catholicism. They seem to want to both hold up the Bible while also making "corrections" to it. Until they denounce the Bible  I'll keep holding them to it. Even if they're unfamiliar with their own holy book.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on October 03, 2017, 07:53:13 PM
That is one of the many issue I have with Catholicism. They seem to want to both hold up the Bible while also making "corrections" to it. Until they denounce the Bible  I'll keep holding them to it. Even if they're unfamiliar with their own holy book.

But which of the so many (mis)translations, (mis)transcriptions, (redacted) revisions,  . . . Like all such things you just pick the one that suits your version or the"truth" most closely.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

Have to take things as they come. In the case of the prohibition of graven images, it exists in all iterations I've seen.

Ecurb Noselrub

Christians would do better to ditch the 10 Commandments and focus on Jesus' New Commandment to love one another as he loved.  Then they wouldn't be so judgmental and harsh.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 05, 2017, 08:57:40 AM
Christians would do better to ditch the 10 Commandments and focus on Jesus' New Commandment to love one another as he loved.  Then they wouldn't be so judgmental and harsh.

I know I've made this comment before, but I continue to be baffled by fundies preference for the ten commandments over the Beatitudes.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on October 05, 2017, 12:07:34 PM
The Golden Rule covers all the angles for me.

Ye it's a good rule but I could easily subvert it.
If  I eat meat on Good Friday I want you Dave,
to tie me to an oyster encrusted pole and flay me.
If I ever have sex with a man I want the HAF community
to posit me on a Vlad style stake with just right lubrication.

The Golden Mean is great too, the middle path.
I've thought through, I've balance things out.
My view is middle, I embody the golden mean.
Unfortunate thing is the world is full 'o peeps,
one side or the other of me, it gets me down.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 05, 2017, 12:41:47 PM
Quote from: Dave on October 05, 2017, 12:07:34 PM
The Golden Rule covers all the angles for me.

Ye it's a good rule but I could easily subvert it.
If  I eat meat on Good Friday I want you Dave,
to tie me to an oyster encrusted pole and flay me.
If I ever have sex with a man I want the HAF community
to posit me on a Vlad style stake with just right lubrication.

The Golden Mean is great too, the middle path.
I've thought through, I've balance things out.
My view is middle, I embody the golden mean.
Unfortunate thing is the world is full 'o peeps,
one side or the other of me, it gets me down.

Any rule can be, and almost certainly is, subverted every minute of the day. Betcha there are lots of xtians who covet their neighbour's ass.