News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Charlottesville USA: Race and Terror

Started by Biggus Dickus, August 16, 2017, 02:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

QuoteHundreds of white supremacists marched with torches in an American city Friday night. They arrived the next day brandishing weapons and armor. One white supremacist allegedly murdered an anti-racist protester in the street with his car and injured several others. This is what really happened when you peel back all the rhetoric flying in the aftermath, and after you tune out the first reprehensible response from the President of the United States, and his subsequent update to it that was two days late and a dollar short.

Vice News, to the outlet's immense credit, was on the ground to document the events in Charlottesville this weekend. Reporter Elle Reeve even embedded, for a time, with white supremacist leader Chris Cantwell. What she found speaks for itself, but keep an eye out for the little things. Like, say, how many guns these white supremacists have.

Superb video and story.

The question before us is obvious. Is this the country we've built for ourselves? And can we allow it to continue this way?

Here is a video of which are by far the most disgusting, revolting comments I've ever heard a President say, but as many have said, "I'm shocked at his words, but not surprised". With this statement Trump has officially announced himself to the world to be not only a racist, but a vile and horrible person and millions of us Americans are now "morally nauseous" that Trump put neo-Nazis and Klansmen on same moral plane as counter-protesters as he was insisting that not all of the neo-Nazis and white supremacists who rallied in Charlottesville this weekend were bad people.

This is Fox News this very minute... a rain of apologetics regarding slavery, simply sickening.

"Racism is evil because its ultimate logic is genocide." — MLK, at Stanford in 1967

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

No one

Arturo

Aztecs owned slaves? North American "Indians" owned slaves?

Without getting into why "indian" is used wrongly here, tge Aztec empire was in the now North America. And what part of that makes it okay to own slaves? I thought these Fox news turds were all about hard work and all that? What about having slaves makes you a hard worker? Not only that, it makes you a dispicable human being.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

You do not have to go back far to find that, probably, every nation on Earth used slaves in their history. "Modern slavery", bonded or forced labour for minimum or almost non-existent benefit, is still common in the Middle East and probably elsewhere where a medieval cultural mindset still persists.

So what has thus to do with the situation in 21st Century America,. For some, it is the attitude that blacks are lesser humans than whites, which was used as an excuse for treating the slaves like animals. So, medieval throwbacks still live in in America at least. The Nazis were well into medieval myths about race as well.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dark Lightning

The Chump had to get hammered by both sides of the aisle to go and put out a ...sort of... rational response. Then he backtracked on it after David Duke (his K-K-Kontroller, after Putin) reminded him of "who got him elected". This whole debacle absolutely sickens me.

Asmodean

Why?!

I mean, why?!

Some accuse the car-guy of domestic terrorism before it's even determined whether or not the attack was planned, many accuse the right-wing factions of starting shit, but were they not basically protesting some statue being torn down?

Let them fucking march and have their banners and slogans and assault rifles, since first you are in a country where a person can have those. They have the right to their opinion, and they have the right to express it in a peaceful way, which I suppose they would have done, had the other assholes not shown up. They almost didn't too, if crappy YouTube cellphone dumps are anything to go by. The whole thing may have turned out to be as dull a media-affair as that far-right-winger march we had in some city or other here... Some news outlets tried their utmost to run with it, but a month or so after the fact, it's more or less completely forgotten.

And why shouldn't them other assholes have shown up, you may ask. They have the right to express their opinion peacefully, just like the right-wing groups do. That's absolutely true. That's where the riot police and politicians and what have you come in with proper planning and a semblance of crowd control. And by "come in," I mean "seemingly stand down."

The whole mess was a mess. Don't blame the Nazis for more than their share of it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Arturo

People say black lives matter are terrible things (forget what exactly) so why do nazis get the slip? Especially since they've actually killed people?
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Quote from: Asmodean on August 16, 2017, 07:04:02 AMLet them fucking march and have their banners and slogans and assault rifles, since first you are in a country where a person can have those. They have the right to their opinion, and they have the right to express it in a peaceful way, which I suppose they would have done, had the other assholes not shown up.
The great thing is, that everyone gets the right to have their banners, and slogans, and express heir opinions even their opinions about what other people are expressing. Even at the same time. What is unacceptable, is driving a car into a crowd of people.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

Assaulting one of the organizers. That too. So fucking prosecute the perps then.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Biggus Dickus

In a racist society it is not enough to be non-racist, we must be anti-racist.

One side arrived in militia.
One side beat a black man.
One side took a girl's life.

Fuck the Nazi, Alt-right, Confederate, Racist, In-Bred, Pale-White, Ignorant, Hateful Mother-Fuckers who marched on Friday night chanting "Jews will not replace us.", and who on Saturday chanted, "Blood and Soil", and who then murdered "Heather Heyer".

I'm glad that girl died' during Virginia protest, says NC KKK leader

The stated beliefs of the Nazi-fascist movements, which is to destroy democracy, impose a terrorist regime based on racism, discrimination, and xenophobia through force segregation and genocide ≠ Opinion.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

Quote from: Asmodean on August 16, 2017, 03:42:44 PM
Assaulting one of the organizers. That too. So fucking prosecute the perps then.

That was one thing.

So you no longer hold that people should be able to express their views without opposition? You are no longer blaming the victims for getting run over?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

Eh..? Lemme figure out where I said what, board the train and compose an answer.

Teaser version; yes.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Quote from: Asmodean on August 16, 2017, 07:04:02 AMLet them fucking march and have their banners and slogans and assault rifles, since first you are in a country where a person can have those. They have the right to their opinion, and they have the right to express it in a peaceful way, which I suppose they would have done, had the other assholes not shown up.

Arturo

@Father Bruno's Donald Tweet
Nazis had a permit? To wage war? When does that happen?

And going off another post I saw somewhere, maybe Davin's, I don't know. Everyone has their right to an opinion in the United States. They are also free to express that opinion until it fucks with another person's rights. The constitution says "all men are created equal" so preaching this "you will not replace us" is logically flawed in this regard of rights. You spent enough time on top, it's time to give someone else a shot. After all, the president does that every four years. If you don't like it, you can get out!

Nice new profile picture you have there btw Bruno.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Asmodean

Quote from: Davin on August 16, 2017, 04:52:39 PM
Thanks. That clarifies things. So I know I promised an edit, but a couple of posts were made since, so a new reply it is;

Opposition, when done well, is not a bad thing. Ideas fall or grow stronger from being opposed. Rioting and assaulting people, however... Well, when it comes to protests, I draw my line at invasion of personal space, so yeah. I take a dim view of that, no matter who does it or why. It does nothing to move the dialogue in a constructive sort of direction, or to resolve the underlying issues.

So some assholes march in protest against some statue removal thing, which they also use to propagate their ideology, yes? Do a counter-protest. if you must, for the statue removal thing while propagating yours. In my eyes, you will likely make as much of a fool out of yourself as them other assholes, but so what? If you have a point, I will give you it. Start some violent shit, however, or partake in any except when clearly defending from an attack, aaand... Credibility gone. It's not the only way to lose it with me, but it sure is the fastest.

To answer your second point, "Always blame the victim" is wrong as sometimes, the victim is blameless. "Never blame the victim" is also wrong, as sometimes the victim is to blame - at least partly.

In this particular case, I understand that the person who was killed was a counter-protester. She accepted certain risks (albeit not on her life, one must assume) when she went to the damned thing. Is she then entirely free from blame for her being dead? Almost, but not quite. I'll grant you this: in this case, it's a matter of technicality. Personally, I equate "almost" with "yes" here. Still, I buy the distinction if one is to be made.

Preambles aside, if you want to condemn a group rather than an individual for the murder, you can certainly do that. However, in that case, this being one person killing another where the motives and planning are not yet clear, if you want to condemn the several right-winger factions and possibly unaffiliated parties as one, then you have to view the murder victim as a part of a group also, or forego some fairly big chunk of integrity. Group against group, there are few blameless parties in that shit. Perhaps the chopper pilots (Do correct me if they were shot down or some such. Last I read it was assumed to be an accident of some sort)

So yes. One guy killed a person and injured several others. Lock the motherfucker up. Group against group though, there are plenty of felony charges to go around, no? So why do the other assholes not deserve some condemnation as well as the right-wingers?

Also, the above tweet does read like it was written by Donald Trump, but... Once again, the guy's not wrong.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.