News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Favourite Buildings -- HAF Photo Challenge Poll

Started by Recusant, July 26, 2017, 12:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

We have a rather wide field for this challenge, perhaps the most entries ever for a HAF photo challenge thanks to contributions from more members than usual. Thank you hermes2015 for choosing the theme which garnered this abundance, and thank you to all who contributed their grand images!

Please PM me if I've missed any entries out or made any other errors.

You may vote for up to five entries, and can change your vote if you wish.

1. Lark

2. Guardian85

3. hermes2015

4. Claireliontamer

5. BooksCatsEtc

6. Tank

7. Father Bruno

8. Recusant

9. Lark

10. Guardian85

11. hermes2015

12. Claireliontamer

13. BooksCatsEtc

14. Tank

15. Father Bruno

16. Recusant

17. Lark

18. Guardian85

19. hermes2015

20. Claireliontamer

21. Tank

22. Father Bruno

23. Recusant

24. Lark

25. hermes2015

26. Father Bruno

27. Tank

28. Recusant
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Some truly superb images and some interesting places.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Yes, very interesting photos! After the voting's done and the winner declared it would be cool if people told us where these buildings are. :smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 26, 2017, 11:16:56 PM
Yes, very interesting photos! After the voting's done and the winner declared it would be cool if people told us where these buildings are. :smilenod:

Absolutely.

Had the hardest time ever breaking my votes down to just 5.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

It was fun seeing photos of places like Kirkstal Abbey that I have visited but they are not my photos.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

All of them are winners, very nice pictures!  :smilenod:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

The voting will be closing today. If you're so inclined, you still have a little while to choose the images that you like.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Historic note: Number 24 is where Hansel and Gretel lived.

Recusant

Thank you to all who submitted photos, and to all who voted in this edition of the HAF photo challenge.  :thumbsup:

We had some really excellent images this time--not sure how my pile of rocks came out on top.  :embarrassed:

I'm fairly sure that I've got the correct attributions for all the photos in the OP, but if I've made any errors, please PM me ASAP. Thanks!

The winning photo (#8) is of Trethevy Quoit in Cornwall, a Neolithic cromlech or dolmen, built about 5,500 years ago.

Other photos I submitted: #16, the Eden Project, also in Cornwall, on a particularly fine misty day. #23, the gatehouse of Stokesay Castle in Shropshire, England. #28, Broadway Tower in Worcestershire, England.

Sorry about the delay announcing the winner--I'll give the theme for the next photo challenge soon.
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

Well done Recusant! I loved your pic for its composition as well as the interesting subject when I saw it, so I was one of the people who voted for it.

Can't wait to see what the next theme will be.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Yes, well done Recusant. Your #8 was one of my votes as well, despite what I said about liking modern architecture.

Also, too late, I found my pics of Stonehenge from some years ago - had forgotten them. That mudt be a favourite becsuse I have a copy of an excellent drawing of it on my wall! But I tend to take the set subject too literally perhaps, not taking that step of thinkjng of those sort of open ancient structures as "buildings".
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Lark

1]  is the Charles Bridge and Prague Castle
5] is Rye, E. Sussex UK showing one of the places where we stayed
17] is Clandon House, Surrey, UK.    A stately home burnt to the ground a few years back and being repaired at great expense.   Belonged to Onslows but now NT.
24]  is a genuine Maori house all the way from NZ and visited occasionally by Maoris  who continue traditions there.   I hope Hansel  and Gretel are not being too disturbed by the bulding work etc.

Lark

The Maori house is in the grounds of Clandon.  I think the gardens are now open to public again and possibly a tiny bit of the house.  There is an excellent Garden Centre and Pet Shop a bit further up drive with a nice cafe. Worth a visit.  The Onslows still live even further up drive, well out of sight.

Claireliontamer

Congratulations Recusant.

A minor point for future reference.....my name has an E in it.

Anyway, mine were:

4) Houses of Parliament
12) Fountains Abbey https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fountains-abbey-and-studley-royal-water-garden
20) East Riddlesden hall https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/east-riddlesden-hall