Favourite Buildings -- HAF Photo Challenge Poll

Started by Recusant, July 26, 2017, 12:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

I forgot to mention earlier where my photos were taken:

#3: The Green Point Lighthouse in Mouille Point, Cape Town  https://www.nightjartravel.com/cultural/mouille-point-lighthouse
#11: MyZeil shopping mall in Frankfurt
#19: Frank Gehry's Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao
#25: Burj Khalifa in Dubai
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: Lark on August 16, 2017, 02:48:01 PM
1]  is the Charles Bridge and Prague Castle
5] is Rye, E. Sussex UK showing one of the places where we stayed
17] is Clandon House, Surrey, UK.    A stately home burnt to the ground a few years back and being repaired at great expense.   Belonged to Onslows but now NT.
24]  is a genuine Maori house all the way from NZ and visited occasionally by Maoris  who continue traditions there.   I hope Hansel  and Gretel are not being too disturbed by the bulding work etc.

Wasn't Clandon House also a girl's school. Think the neice of a friend went there and friend still has a "souvenir" tea-towel with the house and a very sophisticated looking young lady on it.  The friend's niece is incredibly energetic (still, at 40 something) and intelligent but about as sophisticated as a Mk 2 Landrover in a hill-climb.. So only half marks there then!  :grin:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Lark

Clandon Park

This is info re Clandon Park, Guildford [ where my photos were taken ]
Maybe Clandon House as a school  is elsewhere

Recusant

Quote from: Claireliontamer on August 16, 2017, 02:55:13 PM
Congratulations Recusant.

A minor point for future reference.....my name has an E in it.

Anyway, mine were:

4) Houses of Parliament
12) Fountains Abbey https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fountains-abbey-and-studley-royal-water-garden
20) East Riddlesden hall https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/east-riddlesden-hall

:d'oh!: I was trying to hurry, and mis-typed your name then copy-pasted my error all through the poll and post. Sorry--my mistake has been fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out.  :blue smiley:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Lark on August 16, 2017, 06:17:04 PM
Clandon Park

This is info re Clandon Park, Guildford [ where my photos were taken ]
Maybe Clandon House as a school  is elsewhere

I must have it wrong but I know my friend's niece's school burned down as well and if it was not Clandon it was a name very close too it (I remember being corrected from calling it "Clarendon"). The location sounds right as well. Unfortunately my "friend" is actually a very ex-friend, so I can't resolve this little mystery easily!

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

A cordial thank you to all those who posted an entry. Some marvelous photos were evident.  We get to see some sights and buildings that we would not otherwise be able to enjoy or admire.

Lark

Wiki tells me Clarenden Primary School burnt down and also a school called Copthall in London.

Dave

Quote from: Lark on August 17, 2017, 03:23:15 PM
Wiki tells me Clarenden Primary School burnt down and also a school called Copthall in London.

I know that the niece was 12 when she started at the school. Her father was in the RAF and got posted abroad, my ex-fruend acted as a surrogate oarent for 4 years. The tea-towel shows a very stately type building in firmal grounds and a girl I would put at 5th or 6th form level from memory. I took interest in it because it seems such a mundane, yet sophisticated, souvenier for a high level girl's boarding school.

Pity I can't  clarify it, it's nagging me now!

Guardian85

Suppose I should mention my pictures:

Nr. 2 is Andenes lighthouse (in my hometown) photographed from the south at approximately 23:00 on Midsummer's Eve.

Nr. 10 is my current residence photographed sometime in March. Just before I strolled up onto the garage.

Nr. 18 is (as Tank can attest) Kirkstall Abbey in Leeds.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

Congrats Recusant! And to everyone else as well! :golfclap:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Congratulations Recusant, very excellent photograph indeed, I would love to see that in person one day...and to everyone else who posted photos, congrats!

Some very good entries all around this time. I enjoyed Tanks entries, as well as Guardians, and I love the picture Claire posted of home (#20) very nice...but Hermes had two that I really enjoyed, the Lighthouse (#3) just love the contrast with the red paint on the tower, and of course #25, the building in Dubai...I think it's spectacular shot getting the entire building in the frame.

I had some pictures in mind to post that I took earlier this year and last of some old and abandoned buildings in Detroit, but I couldn't locate them in time for the challenge so I posted four pictures I took earlier this year in Honduras.
They are all of the same church, 3 exterior and one of the altar inside. (Name of the church and town escape me at the moment), but the town and church are located on the top of a small mountain, and the church itself is built right onto the mountainside with a commanding view of the valley below...spectacular place.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."