News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

All things gardening

Started by Tank, June 25, 2017, 10:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 26, 2017, 02:17:37 AM

Load of crap, I say. The problem isn't producing food, it's distributing it. What's the point of everybody who has a garden producing food only to have it rot in heaps?

Canning and/or pickling is the answer.  The food could be stored for months, if not years, and the excess shipped elsewhere.  But this supposes everyone with a yard is capable of producing a garden.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dragonia

I like this thread! I'll show you part of what's been sucking many of my summer hours away.
I do not have a green thumb at ALL. But I guess I live in a fertile area, and compost helps a lot too!

This was from today. I'm gonna pickle those jalapeños and turn those banana peppers into spice for cooking and grilling.

This was a surprise.... I guess we threw pumpkin guts in our compost pile and this perfect little pumpkin came from one of those seeds.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with my big beautiful gourds, maybe some purple Martin houses? Maybe paint them? Maybe give them to someone who has great ideas.

Regular sized cucumbers (Sooooo many of those....i was giving them away to anyone who would eat them)

Super sweet plums

Pickling cucumbers (again, my plants produced LOADS of these- it's a good thing my family loves pickles)

Okra!
Ok, I need to stop somewhere!  ;D
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

hermes2015

The photos are gorgeous. I can almost smell the plants.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

I chopped a tomato up and planted the bits. The seeds grew and now I 8 tomatoes growing in the garden!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dragonia

Sweet! Tomatoes are my favorite! Next year I'm gonna have to get very stern about cutting tomato plants back. They get so out of control!

xSilverPhinx

Those look incredible, Dragonia! It seems your thumb is greener than you think.  :thumbsup:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

I've heard that one can grow tomatoes upside down in an old Coke bottle, suspended from the ceiling. I would like to try that on my balcony. Has anyone here done that? I would appreciate some tips.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 27, 2017, 08:48:33 AM
I've heard that one can grow tomatoes upside down in an old Coke bottle, suspended from the ceiling. I would like to try that on my balcony. Has anyone here done that? I would appreciate some tips.
Don't fall off the balcony when you pick them!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on August 27, 2017, 11:37:39 AM
Don't fall off the balcony when you pick them!

:lol:
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

Ok, I'm really no expert, but I think there would be 3 things to keep in mind about this kind of growing.
1. Remember that soil gets REALLY heavy when wet, so make sure your hanging apparatus can hold a lot of weight.
2. Lots of sunshine is really important to strong growth, which may be hard to achieve under a balcony.
3. If you have enough sun, it will dry your dirt out pretty quickly, so you need to make sure to keep up with the watering.

I've tried growing strawberries upside down in a similar set up, but it was a miserable failure for me. Let's just call it a stepping stone towards learning! I hope you have far greater success than me  ;D

hermes2015

Quote from: Dragonia on August 27, 2017, 05:33:44 PM
Ok, I'm really no expert, but I think there would be 3 things to keep in mind about this kind of growing.
1. Remember that soil gets REALLY heavy when wet, so make sure your hanging apparatus can hold a lot of weight.
2. Lots of sunshine is really important to strong growth, which may be hard to achieve under a balcony.
3. If you have enough sun, it will dry your dirt out pretty quickly, so you need to make sure to keep up with the watering.

I've tried growing strawberries upside down in a similar set up, but it was a miserable failure for me. Let's just call it a stepping stone towards learning! I hope you have far greater success than me  ;D

Thank you for taking the trouble, Dragonia. I will give it a bash some time and report back. The days are getting warmer now, so I'll give it another few weeks.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

I'm thinking of "adopting" a bonsai. I feel like I'm ready to take that step in commitment and responsibility, adopting a little tree, nurturing it and watching it grow into...a erm, little tree.

One I would really like to have is a bougainvillea. :tellmemore:

They are expensive though.  :( Maybe I should stick to bunny-ear cacti.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Our Florida Bougainvillea are very pretty while in bloom, but the have vicious and copious thorns that are most painful to deal with.

We have another pretty plant called Firethorn.  It is  a favorite to plant near windows.  No way in hell a burglar is going to get past the Firethorn.  It has wicked spears that can not be defeated.  We also have Robelini palms that are small and wicked.  They have nasty thorns too.....But there are attractive.

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 08, 2018, 01:10:07 AM
I'm thinking of "adopting" a bonsai. I feel like I'm ready to take that step in commitment and responsibility, adopting a little tree, nurturing it and watching it grow into...a erm, little tree.

One I would really like to have is a bougainvillea. :tellmemore:

They are expensive though.  :( Maybe I should stick to bunny-ear cacti.

They are popular plants here as well. My favourites are the white ones.
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

xSP,  you should definitely give this a whirl and give us updates from time to time!
The commitment is too daunting to me, but I would love to live vicariously through you  ;)
The results are so beautiful!