News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

All things gardening

Started by Tank, June 25, 2017, 10:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I can't believe I, of all people, started this thread!

I have a new friend who is a very keen gardener. She likes flowers and I like taking pictures of flowers. So we go to flower shows together. I have very little interest in gardening. I can do grass and plants I have to hack down once a year. I also have a oak tree in a pot I grew from an acorn out of curiosity. I now have 8 plants in my garden all aimed at attracting insects which I will also take pictures of and three 'bug huts' to help out.

This week I went to the RHS Harlow Carr flower show, and bought plants. I think the bug has bitten! As we were walking around I was accosted be this most beautiful hedge! And the comical thing is the hedge recognised me. She's went to school with my twins :)

These are examples of the average age of attendees, it's getting rarer by the day that I form the younger end of the spectrum at an event!

So here we are. All things gardening.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

I've found that the further I keep plants from me, the better they do.  Which is sad, because I'd really love to be one of those people who can make anything grow.  My Dad could, he always had a garden (vegetables and flowers) wherever he lived.  I was allowed to get near it only long enough to do the weeding.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tom62

I hate gardening. The only plants that survive my attention are plastic plants and weeds.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

I had some cacti at one time. They can survive in such hostile environments but couldn't survive my care.  :headshake:

Then there was this bonsai my father gave me when I was around 15. It didn't last too long either, which is a real pity because I really like bonsai.

It seems not only do I not have a green thumb, whatever my fingers touch shrivel up and die.  :sad sigh:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

I see a trend here. This is probably why we have never had a gardening thread before  :mb lol:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

My neighbor is an expert at planting tulips.

Claireliontamer

I like the thought of gardening, in other words planning what I want to grow but I get bored easily and so don't look after things properly, they then either get overgrown or die.  When I was childminding from home I did have a successful vegetable patch which was very rewarding.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on June 25, 2017, 06:06:05 PM
I see a trend here. This is probably why we have never had a gardening thread before  :mb lol:

:snicker:

Perhaps.

I don't know, I never really even thought of giving gardening a try as it would be one more thing I would have to look after and think about, and I'm trying to lessen the load, not pile things on! Maybe when I'm retired I'll have my very own ghastly garden.

Sandra Craft

Here's my garden:

The vine, which my Dad gave me for my 40th birthday, is called Clarissa.  When I got it, it was two little leaves in a 2" pot but I kept it far away from me and watered it whenever I remembered and somehow it thrived.  I named it when it reached 15 years old, as I thought any plant that lived that long around me deserved a name.

The Xmas cactus (which should be a Solstice cactus since it favors blooming in June) is called Evangeline.  It too has survived a stunningly long time under my neglect.  Both Clarissa and Evangeline live in a little enclosed walkway outside my kitchen.

These are the only two plants in my life that have managed to stay alive, and that's only by being kept as far from me as my apt will allow.  As far as greenery in my apt goes, I finally gave up and accepted life with artificial plants and flowers. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ali

Between Mr Ali and I, if gardening skills were dynamite, we wouldn't have enough to blow our hats off our heads. This is particularly unfortunate, because when we moved in to our house in March of 2016, there was still snow on the ground and we didn't realize that a) both our front and back yards were completely dead, and b) our sprinkler system was trash (probably the reason for a.) Last summer we kept getting sharp notes from the HOA yelling at us about the state of our lawn. We were trying, but it was a sort of ineffectual flailing since neither of us had any clue what we were doing and our sprinklers didn't work (which we didn't totally realize, since they were set to go off before we even woke up.)

This year we got our shit together. Mr Ali taught himself how to fix the sprinklers. We tilled. We seeded. We have been watering regularly. It's not perfect, but keep in mind that this was basically bare earth before, and we are not good at this stuff. Also keep in mind that we live in CO so we have a desert climate. Without love and care, lawns are not a real thing here. You can't just let nature do her thing and expect a lawn. We are pretty proud.

Front yard (was mostly scorched bare dirt last year:)
https://imgur.com/a/nF1Zb

Back yard (ditto:)
https://imgur.com/a/qROxI

Claireliontamer

I have the opposite problem, we get so much rain here the grass grows very quickly and spreads everywhere.  I feel like I'm constantly mowing it and pulling it from the borders at this time of year.

xSilverPhinx

Came across this on Facebook:

Load of crap, I say. The problem isn't producing food, it's distributing it. What's the point of everybody who has a garden producing food only to have it rot in heaps?

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 26, 2017, 02:17:37 AM
Came across this on Facebook:

Load of crap, I say. The problem isn't producing food, it's distributing it. What's the point of everybody who has a garden producing food only to have it rot in heaps?

Distribute locally lol
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

But why would anybody want to do that when the external market pays more?

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 26, 2017, 02:57:15 AM
But why would anybody want to do that when the external market pays more?

Free food lol
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱