News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

We Need A Carl Sagan (Joe's Dump post)

Started by joeactor, May 08, 2017, 02:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Thought this topic deserved a thread of its own...

QuoteI just finished watching the first episode of "Bill Nye Saves The World" on NetFlix. The episode's about climate change. Bill presents some good information. Bill's excited. Bill's upset that more isn't being done. Bill has an audience and guests and lab coats.

But... Bill Nye failed to connect with me. Period. And I'm in the choir he's preaching to.

Full post here:
http://www.joesdump.com/2017/05/08/need-carl-sagan/

What do you all think?

Dave

So, what we really need is all the C's?
Cool, calm, collected, confident, cwalified*, cwiet* . . . ?
No showmanship, no rhetoric, no theatricality, no histrionics . . . ?

* poetic licence claimed!  :grin:

Actually, big admission, I find it hard to listen to Carl Sagan, his words resonate with me but, er, something about his voice, er . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

Quote from: Gloucester on May 08, 2017, 03:19:43 PM

Actually, big admission, I find it hard to listen to Carl Sagan, his words resonate with me but, er, something about his voice, er . . .

His voice was  unique, and easy to impersonate ;-)

Sandra Craft

Quote from: joeactor on May 08, 2017, 03:28:56 PM

You just have to say billions and billions a lot.  But yeah, his voice could take a little getting used to -- not as much as Julia Child's but in that manner.  I miss him, it turns out he truly was irreplaceable.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

I was implying that I actually found Carl's voice difficult to listen to, can't rationalise why. Pity because, after reading some his work, I am obviously missing a lot. There is a resonance with his intellectual concepts but a disonance with his vocal presentation.

Arturo

I had that problem with my last video that I made for my YouTube channel. I want to get the information out there, but I'm trying to tell a story at the same time, and keep the enthusiasm. So if you watched it and it seemed I came off a little nervous, it's because I was. I recorded that bit at least 5 times and it was hard every time. I kind of want to do it again but I don't have the, what's the word, stuff to bring what I want out of it.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

joeactor

Quote from: Gloucester on May 08, 2017, 09:58:31 PM

I was implying that I actually found Carl's voice difficult to listen to, can't rationalise why. Pity because, after reading some his work, I am obviously missing a lot. There is a resonance with his intellectual concepts but a disonance with his vocal presentation.

I like his vocal style, but it's always a matter of personal preference on some level. For example, my wife can't stand Christopher Walken's voice, so I have to save that one for outside the house...

joeactor

Quote from: Arturo on May 08, 2017, 10:05:23 PM
I had that problem with my last video that I made for my YouTube channel. I want to get the information out there, but I'm trying to tell a story at the same time, and keep the enthusiasm. So if you watched it and it seemed I came off a little nervous, it's because I was. I recorded that bit at least 5 times and it was hard every time. I kind of want to do it again but I don't have the, what's the word, stuff to bring what I want out of it.

It could also be that it's personal to you. Easier to talk about things we know, than about our inner selves, IMHO.

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on May 08, 2017, 10:12:02 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on May 08, 2017, 09:58:31 PM

I like his vocal style, but it's always a matter of personal preference on some level. For example, my wife can't stand Christopher Walken's voice, so I have to save that one for outside the house...
Maybe it is partly a "cultural" thing, an accent and mode if presentation that seems "normal" to one cultural group may seem "unatural" to another.

It may be true that Wilde's "... two nations divided by a common language." applies more now than in his time. Though Sagan's English was very good there is nore to the spoken language than its usuage of words.

There are times when I really have to think about what Americans say, or write, to get their true meaning!

xSilverPhinx

QuoteNeil deGrasse Tyson? No.

:chin: I enjoy listening to Neil deGrasse Tyson.  I don't know, IMO when it's clear the person loves what they are doing --presenting, the topic etc. --  then they connect with me.

As for Carl Sagan, his voice and accent never bothered me. He stands out in a way, possibly being due to being one of the first science popularisers on TV. IMO he set the bar and is what future generations have had to measure up to. 

I have yet to watch Bill Nye's show. No opinion yet.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: joeactor on May 08, 2017, 02:36:10 PM
Thought this topic deserved a thread of its own...

QuoteI just finished watching the first episode of "Bill Nye Saves The World" on NetFlix. The episode's about climate change. Bill presents some good information. Bill's excited. Bill's upset that more isn't being done. Bill has an audience and guests and lab coats.

But... Bill Nye failed to connect with me. Period. And I'm in the choir he's preaching to.

Full post here:
http://www.joesdump.com/2017/05/08/need-carl-sagan/

What do you all think?

I get what you are saying Joe. Carl Sagan was a unique voice in the world, a man with a very compelling message and lesson for everyone.

His "Cosmos, A Personal Voyage" series was groundbreaking.  I watched this series in my High School science class, later bought the book, and then the remastered DVD set.

I enjoyed his book "Pale Blue Dot, A Vision of the Human Future in Space", and loved his novel "Contact", as well as the movie starring Jodie Foster (Read the book 2 if not 3 times)...I meditate on a regular basis, and often times use an image from this book/movie. It's the one where Jodie Foster's character is transferred to this surreal and earth-like beach which is aglow with this fabulous view of the cosmos overhead. I often times try picture myself sitting alone on this beach, with the entire cosmos stretched out above me as if in reach of my fingers. (I know it's silly... :-[)

His essay on abortion, written along with Ann Druyan helped me form my own views on the subject, and I share it often with others who have questions or concerns with abortion, it should be widely read in my opinion.

I don't know how many times I've watched the Pale Blue Dot video, it's definitely one of my favorites, it's so very compelling. I think it is this video and speech which captures best that ability of Carl to transform us not only into the wonderful world of science, but to think beyond it. He was quite the romantic, this portion of the speech say's it best I think,...To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
— Carl Sagan, speech at Cornell University, October 13, 1994

If there is a god, I would hope he sounds and acts a bit like Carl 8)

I do like Bill Nye, and especially appreciate his activism, especially his recent stuff, but he is a bit quirky. Certainly a needed voice in the world today, but again he's no Carl Sagan.

Same with Neil deGrasse Tyson...and even though I enjoy his work much more than Bill's and find him much more personable, again he doesn't have that same ability that Carl had of being a bit more philosophical and personable with his approach...

Good topic Joe...Oh, and I'm really enjoying his book we are reading here at the HAF Book Club, "The Demon-Haunted World, Science as a Candle in the Dark.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on May 09, 2017, 04:48:54 PM
...the movie starring Jodie Foster (Read the book 2 if not 3 times)...I meditate on a regular basis, and often times use an image from this book/movie. It's the one where Jodie Foster's character is transferred to this surreal and earth-like beach which is aglow with this fabulous view of the cosmos overhead. I often times try picture myself sitting alone on this beach, with the entire cosmos stretched out above me as if in reach of my fingers. (I know it's silly... :-[)
That's my favorite movie!

Quote from: Father Bruno on May 09, 2017, 04:48:54 PM
...Pale Blue Dot video,
:cryandrun:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

joeactor

Thanks, Father Bruno - you reminded me of a lot of why I like Sagan.

(not that I don't like Nye and Tyson... I just think they're preaching to the choir, rather than communicating to the masses)

Pale Blue Dot is an amazing video.

BTW, Jodie Foster's face scene from Contact had an interesting technique used:
QuoteRobert Zemeckis had asked Jodie Foster to repeat the pod scene six times, each time with a different expression (intense joy, fear, sadness and so on) and then the VFX crew quickly morphed her face from one take to the next. For a moment they also used the face of Dr. Arroway as a child.

from here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118884/trivia

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on May 09, 2017, 08:12:20 PM
^^
Interesting.  :chin:

I agree...in fact there were an awful lot of interesting facts about the movie listed there. Such as:

QuoteAll the beers in the Puerto Rico scenes are Medalla Light. It is produced by the only brewery in Puerto Rico larger than a brewpub, and Medalla Light was their only beer until they released a premium beer in 2011.
8)

I thought this thread would be a good place for this:

Man in his arrogance - A Great Speech By Carl Sagan

[/b]
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."