News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Feeling Guilty About Wasting Time

Started by xSilverPhinx, May 07, 2017, 02:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Why do some (most?) of us end up feeling guilty when wasting time doing something that is not productive or edifying? :notsure: I mean just binge watching our favourite series on Netflix, taking an afternoon nap or just staring at the ceiling while listening to music? Is is pressure and necessity to make money? To grow professionally? 

More and more I feel as if I'm being enslaved by the ticking clock and pieces of paper with values printed on them. I want time that I can waste and is worth more than a few paper bills. But...I don't see how one can live and not merely survive without money. It seems I, at least, am trapped in this spiral I don't want to be in.

Anyone else relate to these feelings?   

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 07, 2017, 02:48:33 AM
Why do some (most?) of us end up feeling guilty when wasting time doing something that is not productive or edifying? :notsure: I mean just binge watching our favourite series on Netflix, taking an afternoon nap or just staring at the ceiling while listening to music? Is is pressure and necessity to make money? To grow professionally? 

More and more I feel as if I'm being enslaved by the ticking clock and pieces of paper with values printed on them. I want time that I can waste and is worth more than a few paper bills. But...I don't see how one can live and not merely survive without money. It seems I, at least, am trapped in this spiral I don't want to be in.

I can understand how you feel, xSP, the work ethic is strong in some of us.

Think of those idle times as a reward - if you have successfully completed a task then (unless there are "URGENT: TO BE DONE NOW NO EXCUSES ALLOWED" tasks on your to-do list) award yourself a few minutes in idle contemplation of a picture, a flower, a cloud, etc.

If you have completed several necessary tasks in a line then the reward time is cumulative - take a longer break. :)

You DESERVE it!

Make it a habit, a new ethic.

As a retired person with sufficient income for my simple needs I do not really suffer this any longer. Though I do like to feel that not every moment of my waking life is spent reading, eating or listening to the radio - or even "talking" to you guys, pleasurable though that is! Thus I volunteer some of my time to the benefit of others.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Quote from: Gloucester on May 07, 2017, 08:58:52 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 07, 2017, 02:48:33 AM

Think of those idle times as a reward - if you have successfully completed a task then (unless there are "URGENT: TO BE DONE NOW NO EXCUSES ALLOWED" tasks on your to-do list) award yourself a few minutes in idle contemplation of a picture, a flower, a cloud, etc. *

If you have completed several necessary tasks in a line then the reward time is cumulative - take a longer break. :)

You DESERVE it!

As a retired person with sufficient income for my simple needs I do not really suffer this any longer. Though I do like to feel that not every moment of my waking life is spent reading, eating or listening to the radio - or even "talking" to you guys, pleasurable though that is! Thus I volunteer some of my time to the benefit of others.

* Added later: whilst contemplating the flower, or whatever, the world must contain nothing non-flower - no sneaky thoughts about that assignment due next week etc!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

solidsquid

I understand what you mean.  As I've gotten older my drive to spend most of my time doing something "productive" has consumed most of my time.  I've found that a majority of what I'm engaging in is to further skills - most to improve my employability and advance my career but not all.  I still find a few minutes here and there to do other things like play guitar, BBQ, watch a movie or two and check the forums here to see what's going on  8).

xSilverPhinx

Sandra Craft

I used to feel guilty about wasting time, but then I got old, and tired, and figured oh, the hell with it.  And then I retired and could waste time with a clear conscience. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

No one

Nope! I work too damn hard to feel guilty about enjoying myself doing absolutely nothing.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on May 07, 2017, 09:58:49 PM
Nope! I work too damn hard to feel guilty about enjoying myself doing absolutely nothing.

:grin:

Dragonia

Quote from: Gloucester on May 07, 2017, 08:58:52 AM

Think of those idle times as a reward - if you have successfully completed a task then (unless there are "URGENT: TO BE DONE NOW NO EXCUSES ALLOWED" tasks on your to-do list) award yourself a few minutes in idle contemplation of a picture, a flower, a cloud, etc.

You DESERVE it!

I totally agree! I work my ass off in a million different ways every day, so when I am feeling like doing nothing, or wasting time or whatever,  I mentally go through my list of how much I've done.... and I consider it "refueling" for all that I still have to do. I almost never feel guilty. I wish that for you too! We need to "refill" our mental/emotional/psychic/physical tanks. We function better on FULL. I'm sure there are studies verifying this.  :hammock:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

xSilverPhinx

Yeah, today was a productive day, even if I spent a lot of time checking to see if there were any new posts to read here.  :sidesmile:

Now I'm taking a prolonged break, and feel less guilty for doing so. I do feel like I've earned it.  :)

Arturo

I spend a lot of my time doing nothing, due to the fact I exausted my mind while living with my parents. But since I lived alone, I found things that I like to focus on, so tomorrow I start school for that. Also, good night!
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱