Main Menu

The stupid, it burns.

Started by Tank, March 28, 2017, 06:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on March 29, 2017, 05:22:30 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 29, 2017, 04:09:41 AM
Quote from: joeactor on March 28, 2017, 03:10:16 PM

... then I replied with a warning about di-hydrogen-monoxide (with a link).

They agreed that that's dangerous stuff.

(forehead. desk. forehead. desk. forehead. desk...)

Darn that double H, single O stuff -- it's just everywhere!

BooksCatsEtc! It's nice to see you here, again.  :hug:

The other day I saw this GIF, and I thought, "Maybe BooksCatsEtc used to do this when she was just a baby."  :tellmemore:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

:grin:

: clapping: You're so fucking nice! :clapping:
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 29, 2017, 02:20:07 AM
I lost track of the mansplaining thread, but here's an anti-vax nut who doesn't even understand how vaccines are injected.

Wow, medicines are really poisons...
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Pasta Chick

Has anyone actually had an IV vaccine, ever? I have never had or administered one (specifically pertaining to dogs and cats) and as far as I can tell there is only a malaria vaccine is given IV.

But the whole "directly into the bloodstream!!!!1!" thing is actually something I hear a lot

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 29, 2017, 05:29:27 PM
Has anyone actually had an IV vaccine, ever? I have never had or administered one (specifically pertaining to dogs and cats) and as far as I can tell there is only a malaria vaccine is given IV.

But the whole "directly into the bloodstream!!!!1!" thing is actually something I hear a lot

I've heard this often as well, especially from the "anit-vaxers" and have always put it off to a combination of ignorance and colloquialism; the fact they don't realize vaccines are injected into tissue and not directly into a vein, and peoples perceptions that any type of injection goes directly into the bloodstream.

They also seem to like the word "toxins".

I do dig her name though, "Patty Ganshirt Cloonan". Sounds sexy if you say it with a bit of Scottish brogue.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 29, 2017, 05:29:27 PM

I was on an IV drip with antibiotics (the name says it all) for a week for a suspected infection on my cardiac implant wires that could possibly threaten my heart. Absolutely no problems at all.

I know of others who have been on similar drips for over a month for stubborn diseases.

Are there any IV vaccines? All those I have had have been intra-muscular or via a surface scratch. Oh, plus the oral polio vaccine.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

My mom was/is anti-vax. So I was never vaccinated against anything until I was about 20 when she decided to let me know.

I'm also autistic, which I think is kind of funny. That's not why my mom didn't vaccinate us, but when I heard that was a reason why some people didn't, I think it's a bit funny.

As far as stupid things, there are two tings my mom said that were kind of dumb.

QuoteOnly men can be sexist.

The sexism in that statement still eludes her.

QuoteAtlas Shrugged is what is happening now.
This was before the election, apparently she doesn't want the government to support people down on their luck. There are two things funny about this one.

Atlas Shrugged is almost the exact opposite of what's going on. In Atlas Shrugged, the corporations and the wealthy were being persecuted by the big bad government and their money taken and given to the lazy poor who just sit around demanding things. While in reality, corporations and the wealthy are being benefited by the government and the poor are on their way to getting almost no support at all.

The other funny thing about this, is that she and my father have been living off of government assistance for a while. But THEY need it, it's all those other people on well-fare that are lazy unproductive members of society who don't deserve any support and should lift themselves out of poverty.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on March 29, 2017, 06:06:16 PM
My mom was/is anti-vax. So I was never vaccinated against anything until I was about 20 when she decided to let me know.

I'm also autistic, which I think is kind of funny. That's not why my mom didn't vaccinate us, but when I heard that was a reason why some people didn't, I think it's a bit funny.

As far as stupid things, there are two tings my mom said that were kind of dumb.

QuoteOnly men can be sexist.

The sexism in that statement still eludes her.

QuoteAtlas Shrugged is what is happening now.
This was before the election, apparently she doesn't want the government to support people down on their luck. There are two things funny about this one.

Atlas Shrugged is almost the exact opposite of what's going on. In Atlas Shrugged, the corporations and the wealthy were being persecuted by the big bad government and their money taken and given to the lazy poor who just sit around demanding things. While in reality, corporations and the wealthy are being benefited by the government and the poor are on their way to getting almost no support at all.

The other funny thing about this, is that she and my father have been living off of government assistance for a while. But THEY need it, it's all those other people on well-fare that are lazy unproductive members of society who don't deserve any support and should lift themselves out of poverty.
Oh, boy.  :sad sigh:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Pasta Chick

My phone doesn't want me to quote.

In any case, Jim Jefferies has a great bit about vaccines in his Free Dumb show. Unfortunately I can't find just that bit online anywhere. I highly recommend it.

Some of the most sexist shit I've dealt with has been from women.

The "I need it but they don't" mindset is bizarrely common. I'm sure there's some sort of psychology there. It's a huge part of the abortion debate too.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on March 29, 2017, 05:22:30 AM

BooksCatsEtc! It's nice to see you here, again.  :hug:

Thank you!   ;D

QuoteThe other day I saw this GIF, and I thought, "Maybe BooksCatsEtc used to do this when she was just a baby."  :tellmemore:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

:grin:

I probably did.  At any rate there are photos of me at that age pulling all the books off a shelf.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Arturo

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 30, 2017, 12:05:15 AM
The "I need it but they don't" mindset is bizarrely common.

What kind of things would they mention with this mindset? I don't really follow feminism or have had many female friends so I'm just curious.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Quote from: Arturo on March 30, 2017, 03:27:37 AM

What kind of things would they mention with this mindset? I don't really follow feminism or have had many female friends so I'm just curious.
I don't think that was in reference to the feminism comment. I think that was in reference to the last one where my parents think they need well-fare support, but most other people that use it are just moochers.

Davin

My phone doesn't want me to quote.

In any case, Jim Jefferies has a great bit about vaccines in his Free Dumb show. Unfortunately I can't find just that bit online anywhere. I highly recommend it.
Jim Jefferies is hilarious, I watched that special but I don't remember exactly that part of it, I'll have to watch it again.

Quote from: Pasta ChickSome of the most sexist shit I've dealt with has been from women.
Ive seen about equal amounts from men and women. Neither seem to think that they are being sexist. It makes me worry that I am sexist and not know it either. I'm sure there are some things, so I'm open to listen if some accuses me of such.

Quote from: Pasta ChickThe "I need it but they don't" mindset is bizarrely common. I'm sure there's some sort of psychology there. It's a huge part of the abortion debate too.
Way too common. There are not enough mirrors.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Davin on March 30, 2017, 03:01:07 PM

I don't think that was in reference to the feminism comment. I think that was in reference to the last one where my parents think they need well-fare support, but most other people that use it are just moochers.

Yeah. See stupid phone.

In relation to feminism it's more "this particular thing is not an issue for me, therefore everyone who says it is, is a liar".

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Davin on March 30, 2017, 03:45:39 PM

Quote from: Pasta ChickSome of the most sexist shit I've dealt with has been from women.
Ive seen about equal amounts from men and women. Neither seem to think that they are being sexist. It makes me worry that I am sexist and not know it either. I'm sure there are some things, so I'm open to listen if some accuses me of such.

I find there are generally different mindsets between sexism in men vs women... Most women who have done sexist things toward me do so to cut me down for being too conventionally masculine or a bad example of a woman. For instance, "you're really good at that, for a girl. But hey, we have a guy here to do it so sit the F down." Not to mention shaming over sexual expression.

Whereas men do sexist stuff because they've been told that's how good men should be. They should hold doors for me from 20 feet away and grab anything over 5lbs out of my hands because my feeble little women arms couldn't possibly take the strain, and they're helping. They should censor themselves in my presence because my delicate woman ears can't handle their brashness and they're being polite (BF still doesn't really understand this and why I won't hang out with his friends, because a few of them do it CONSTANTLY. Either you think I can't handle normal conversations, or you were going to say something legitimately gross, and either way it's sexist).

That only goes for the type of social sexism we aren't so conscious of. Open misogynists are definitely different, in both genders.

As far as unintentional sexism, I think it's the same as all the other isms social conditioning pushes on us. It's unavoidable to fall in to certain traps. All we can do is think critically and try to catch and correct ourselves

Davin

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 30, 2017, 04:39:37 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 30, 2017, 03:01:07 PM

Yeah. See stupid phone.

In relation to feminism it's more "this particular thing is not an issue for me, therefore everyone who says it is, is a liar".
I've heard from guys something like, "if women hooted and hollered at me as I walked by, I would actually like it."

It's like an attempt to see from the woman's perspective. But it doesn't even get half way there.

I mean, yeah, it does feel great to have other people tell you they find you attractive, and even I wouldn't mind it for a day.

Would they still like it a month later? Would they still like it a year into it? What about five years? How about their whole fucking life?

How about after they figure out that some of those girls expect them to appreciate every time. And that some see signs of appreciation as consent to try to take it further? While other girls get offended if they see no signs of appreciation as a personal offense. Would they still like it after a year of not knowing which girls to just ignore, which ones to show appreciation to, and which to never show appreciation to?

How would they feel when a group of women they are not attracted to get a bit more aggressive and the guy is all alone? Would they still like it then?

I really don't think they would. I think they would get sick of it. I think they would get uncomfortable quite often. I'm sick of just trying to imagine myself into that kind of situation. I wonder then what they would think if someone told them that they should appreciate the attention they are sick of.

I mean, it's great that they seem to be trying to see things from the woman's perspective, I don't think they go far enough.