News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What has HAF ever done for me?

Started by Siz, March 23, 2017, 11:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

Well, here I am. You missed me right?!

Yeah, I've been busy... and lazy... and following other interests for a while. I've been following some groups based around the theme of Transhumanism. This is a fascinating subject which encompasses not just physical augmentation and robotics, but also whole systems of existence in a futuristic world. AI, robotics, politics, social engineering, health, longevity, finance. And of course the impending 'Singularity' which is the futurists version of 'Rapture'. Scary shit, actually - and a very real consideration.

Anyway, I'm here because I'm just about to go on hols and I figure I might do a bit more posting... and HAF always provided some entertaining, occasionally nutritious, time-passing. I have never been far away and you may even have noticed me lurking from time to time.

And, I thought I'd share with you all some of my thoughts over the past year or so, relating specifically to HAF.

It may surprise some of you that I'm a mellowed person. Having exposed myself to all of your leftist, thinky, do-goody, just-be-nice sentimentality I have to say that some of it has rubbed off. Perhaps, also as a result of Trump and Brexit, I have taken a swerve to the left (I voted Remain BTW - Sorry Git). I am more considerate to foreigners. I am more considerate to women. I am more accepting of stupidity (yeah, my Satanist friends will despise me for that). But more than that, I actually feel actively pro-feminism, pro-immigration, pro...being oneself (and not letting that piss me off). It may, of course have a lot to do with a diet of Transhumanist thought - that the future world is simply not sustainable (or at least not a place I'd like to live) under existing social systems (read right-wing politics). However, I do know that being around HAF for so many years had, at least, kick-started a more thoughtful me. In any case HAF has had a very positive influence on my life.

So, with reference to the title of this post, I do want to say a thank you to all at HAF for the education, the laughs and the patience with my intolerance.

What has HAF done for you?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Recusant

Quote from: Siz on March 23, 2017, 11:39:11 AM

Yes. Among other things I've missed your contributions to the photo competitions.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

What has HAF done for me?

Annoyed me, educated me, frustrated me, enlightened me, depressed me, gladdened me, saddened me . . .

But like life really, but in a community of, mostly, people of a similar mind.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Firebird

Nice to see you Siz!  Good to see old timers return.
I was  already a leftist do-gooder before I stumbled across here 5(!) years ago. But being here definitely helped clarify a lot of internal feelings and what I find wrong in this world, and relief in finding others like myself. Also helps to see other theists like Bruce who do not fit the batshit crazy stereotype about religious people that pervades in our society these days.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

No one

iSiz:

Yes, but not to worry, my aim is getting better.

Well it hasn't picked me up from the airport, helped me move, or given me bail money, but I guess you could say were, "friends".

Biggus Dickus

Without HAF I never would have met Crow, and who would figure that I would get transferred to London to work with one of our UK Clients for several months last fall, and who would further figure or even guess that Crow and I would actually end up hooking up with each other.

It was good for a while, I mean we shared some common interests in food, music, even theater,... and Crow would take me shopping in an attempt to move me toward a more modern, un-American look,... but the sex was simply no good, I mean what with his little tiny dick and all.

For those interested here's a picture of Crow on the Tube (He was mad at the girl for laughing, and what eventually led to our breakup)
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Anyway good to hear from you Siz. 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

It may surprise some of you that I'm a mellowed person. Having exposed myself to all of your leftist, thinky, do-goody, just-be-nice sentimentality I have to say that some of it has rubbed off. Perhaps, also as a result of Trump and Brexit, I have taken a swerve to the left (I voted Remain BTW - Sorry Git). I am more considerate to foreigners. I am more considerate to women. I am more accepting of stupidity (yeah, my Satanist friends will despise me for that). But more than that, I actually feel actively pro-feminism, pro-immigration, pro...being oneself (and not letting that piss me off). It may, of course have a lot to do with a diet of Transhumanist thought - that the future world is simply not sustainable (or at least not a place I'd like to live) under existing social systems (read right-wing politics). However, I do know that being around HAF for so many years had, at least, kick-started a more thoughtful me. In any case HAF has had a very positive influence on my life.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I think it has helped me become a good judge of character.  :notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Siz

Quote from: Tits McGee

Oh, I've missed you.  :-*

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Magdalena

Quote from: Siz on March 23, 2017, 11:12:02 PM
Quote from: Tits McGee

Oh, I've missed you.  :-*

QuoteTits McGee
:lol:

I haven't missed you.
>:(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

I hardly knew you but when you said you were some sort of psychopath, I've wondered where you were recently.

Having exposed myself to all of your leftist, thinky, do-goody, just-be-nice sentimentality I have to say that some of it has rubbed off.
We are pretty cool aren't we?

QuoteWhat has HAF done for you?
They have filled my time and kept me from being lonely. It was great from the start with mags giving me a virgin ban and all. I assume to break me in.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

^^^
**Ahem**
For the record....
...No one else wanted to do it. OK?  :foottap:

You're welcome.  ::)

:P

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on March 23, 2017, 11:58:57 PM
^^^
**Ahem**
For the record....
...No one else wanted to do it. OK?  :foottap:

You're welcome.  ::)

:P

Yeah, well, ya see I just made everyone act like that hehehe
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

joeactor

Siz! Good to hear from you...

Echos on a lot of the other thoughts about HAF. It's a friendly place to toss about ideas, gripes, and kick back. Kinda like a bar, I imagine (don't really go to bars).

I think you should start a Transhumanism thread. I'd be for augmentation once it's been tested a bit more. Could see replacement of parts, enhancement of memory, maybe even a direct connection to the internet. Then I could surf HAF IN MY MIND!!!

Cheers,
JoeActor

OldGit

Hey, Siz, glad you're back!  I've missed my old Muppet buddy and all your crotchety ways.  I'll even overlook your voting Remain.  Now just stay here, please.

Siz

Quote from: Arturo on March 23, 2017, 11:46:28 PM
I hardly knew you but when you said you were some sort of psychopath, I've wondered where you were recently.

I think I suggested I was more sociopathic, but what's a mental disorder between friends?!  :D