Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 502 times)

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • infidel barbarian
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2017, 04:33:35 AM »
With regards to Obamacare: good idea overall but the idea of fining someone because they might be too poor to already have medical cover is just insane! As bad as, in the UK, fining, by denying benefits, those too ill or poor to make it to an interview, with a benefits officer, on time.

Under the ACA (Obamacare) those who were too poor to buy health insurance were supposed to be able to sign up for Medicaid. Because of various political hijinks that didn't always work, but the idea was that fines would be levied on people who could afford health insurance but refused to get it.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Gloucester

• Touched by His Noodly Appendage
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 05:45:35 AM »
With regards to Obamacare: good idea overall but the idea of fining someone because they might be too poor to already have medical cover is just insane! As bad as, in the UK, fining, by denying benefits, those too ill or poor to make it to an interview, with a benefits officer, on time.

Under the ACA (Obamacare) those who were too poor to buy health insurance were supposed to be able to sign up for Medicaid. Because of various political hijinks that didn't always work, but the idea was that fines would be levied on people who could afford health insurance but refused to get it.

Ah. Still not sure that it is a good idea. If those with the means but not the inclination charge them the full cost of all medical aid tgey get, ecen in emergencies.  In the UK I am a fan of charging those who can afford to get drunk for the ambulance and "hotel charges" that the injuries gained through their drinking often need.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

solidsquid

• Has Received Bacon
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2017, 08:10:13 AM »
For a class I'm taking this semester.  Text is decent but quite basic, not a lot of detail.  Instructor is very disorganized.  No worries though, I'm switching programs in the fall anyhow.

What exactly is this for? I read some of the wiki, just says it's techniques for process improvement. I assume it's for engineering?

It's a set of "tools" for process improvement of basically any process.  It makes use of various charts and diagrams along with some statistics to make processes less wasteful.  It's often paired with lean management techniques and you'll often see people refer to Lean Six Sigma and the two methods complement each other.

I had to deal with this process often in my job as a manufacturing representative for the automotive field with regards to quality issues, not so much now because I only deal with wheels, but years ago when I was representing different types of DC motors it could be a pain in the ass (Seat and window motors).

It takes constant monitoring and adequate management systems...one of the  management systems that replaced the Total Quality Management (TQM) from the 80's.

I don't deal with it anymore, but I read an article recently I believe from Crain's Detroit Business that suggested process management can drag some organizations down and dampen innovation, so though you may improve efficiency you run the risk if the process management programs are misapplied to areas where you want employees to be innovative.

Maybe you'll get your black belt one day. 8)

A discussion point in my performance consulting course was essentially, "how much is too much?"  The point was that improvement projects can get out of hand and grow to become their own wasteful endeavors.  It becomes a balancing act to try and not waste money by trying to save money from being wasted.

Gloucester

• Touched by His Noodly Appendage
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »
For a class I'm taking this semester.  Text is decent but quite basic, not a lot of detail.  Instructor is very disorganized.  No worries though, I'm switching programs in the fall anyhow.

What exactly is this for? I read some of the wiki, just says it's techniques for process improvement. I assume it's for engineering?

It's a set of "tools" for process improvement of basically any process.  It makes use of various charts and diagrams along with some statistics to make processes less wasteful.  It's often paired with lean management techniques and you'll often see people refer to Lean Six Sigma and the two methods complement each other.

I had to deal with this process often in my job as a manufacturing representative for the automotive field with regards to quality issues, not so much now because I only deal with wheels, but years ago when I was representing different types of DC motors it could be a pain in the ass (Seat and window motors).

It takes constant monitoring and adequate management systems...one of the  management systems that replaced the Total Quality Management (TQM) from the 80's.

I don't deal with it anymore, but I read an article recently I believe from Crain's Detroit Business that suggested process management can drag some organizations down and dampen innovation, so though you may improve efficiency you run the risk if the process management programs are misapplied to areas where you want employees to be innovative.

Maybe you'll get your black belt one day. 8)

A discussion point in my performance consulting course was essentially, "how much is too much?"  The point was that improvement projects can get out of hand and grow to become their own wasteful endeavors.  It becomes a balancing act to try and not waste money by trying to save money from being wasted.
OK, I'll just stop gilding this lily then . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

solidsquid

• Has Received Bacon
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »
I had never heard that expression before, had to Google it...quite fitting once I knew what the heck you were talking about   ;D

Guardian85

• Resident Spymaster
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
  • Big friendly Viking.
    • Random Ramblings
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2017, 02:04:16 PM »
Was in the specialty book store in Tromsø a few weeks ago, looking for something to read. But before getting to the stack of old "Conan the Barbarian" comics i happened past the shelf containing works of Terry Pratchett. I remembered hearing that his books were quite good from someone on this forum (I believe I was likened to a character at one point) and decided to give it a go.

Now, five books later I'm hooked!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 11:02:14 AM »
Was in the specialty book store in Tromsø a few weeks ago, looking for something to read. But before getting to the stack of old "Conan the Barbarian" comics i happened past the shelf containing works of Terry Pratchett. I remembered hearing that his books were quite good from someone on this forum (I believe I was likened to a character at one point) and decided to give it a go.

Now, five books later I'm hooked!
35 to go :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett