News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Willie Nelson

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, March 12, 2017, 02:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

My wife and I went to a Willie Nelson concert at the Bell County Expo Center last night.  Sold out - about 8,000 in attendance - to see an 83 year-old country singer.  My assessment: at 83, his voice is almost gone - he spoke his songs as much as he sang them.  But as he warmed up at times you could hear flashes of the old brilliance.  He was the sole guitar player (accompanied by piano, bass, drums, percussion and harmonica), and at times it was hard for the band to follow his rhythm.  But on the good side, the boy can still play the guitar well - his patented Spanish-country sound.  He moves around well and didn't forget any of the lyrics.  His mind is sharp and he was engaged with the crowd.  Hell, at 83, if a man can stand in front of a crowd for over an hour and play one song after another with very little interval, he's doing well. My favorite song of the evening: "Roll me up and smoke me when I die".

A surprise appearance by Hank Williams, Jr. was a treat, but the man looks like he's on death's door.  He had to be helped to the mike and used a walker. His rowdy days are over.

Overall, I'm glad I saw it.  Willie won't be around forever. ZZ Top is coming in May - hope I can get tickets.

Ecurb Noselrub

Here's a version of "Roll me up and smoke me" that features Snoop Dog, Kris Kristopherson and others singing with Willie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyBOpsF4ASo

OldGit

I always thought that Willie Nelson was a manoeuvre used by gay wrestlers.  You live and learn.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 12, 2017, 02:19:10 PM
Here's a version of "Roll me up and smoke me" that features Snoop Dog, Kris Kristopherson and others singing with Willie.

I like that song.  :dance1:
I think I mentioned before that I want that song at my funeral.  ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: OldGit on March 12, 2017, 04:35:08 PM
I always thought that Willie Nelson was a manoeuvre used by gay wrestlers.  You live and learn.

Hah!

Arturo

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 12, 2017, 02:07:18 PM
My wife and I went to a Willie Nelson concert at the Bell County Expo Center last night.  Sold out - about 8,000 in attendance - to see an 83 year-old country singer.  My assessment: at 83, his voice is almost gone - he spoke his songs as much as he sang them.  But as he warmed up at times you could hear flashes of the old brilliance.  He was the sole guitar player (accompanied by piano, bass, drums, percussion and harmonica), and at times it was hard for the band to follow his rhythm.  But on the good side, the boy can still play the guitar well - his patented Spanish-country sound.  He moves around well and didn't forget any of the lyrics.  His mind is sharp and he was engaged with the crowd.  Hell, at 83, if a man can stand in front of a crowd for over an hour and play one song after another with very little interval, he's doing well. My favorite song of the evening: "Roll me up and smoke me when I die".

A surprise appearance by Hank Williams, Jr. was a treat, but the man looks like he's on death's door.  He had to be helped to the mike and used a walker. His rowdy days are over.

Overall, I'm glad I saw it.  Willie won't be around forever. ZZ Top is coming in May - hope I can get tickets.

Sounds like a great experience.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dragonia

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 12, 2017, 02:19:10 PM

Man, I always love when singers jump far over cultural lines to collaborate like this. I kinda like me some Snoop anyway. He coo'
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Icarus

Quote from: OldGit on March 12, 2017, 04:35:08 PM
I always thought that Willie Nelson was a manouvre used by gay wrestlers.  You live and learn.

^ OG is the unique one with the acute sense of humor.

Sandra Craft

Bruce, you gave me a real fright -- I half thought this was going to be an "in memory" post!  What a relief to find it was about you and the wife having a great time at a concert.  Good luck on those ZZ Top tickets.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany