News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

The stories in the Bible

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, March 09, 2017, 05:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Realizing that the prevailing attitude here is that the Bible is just a collection of bronze/iron age myths and fabrications, I still think there is value and relevance in many of the stories that are found there, not to mention entertainment.  In the Old Testament, the story of Joseph and his brothers, the story of Ruth, the story of Esther, and even the stories of Joshua's conquest of Canaan and Nehemiah's reconstruction of Jerusalem's walls are really good reading.  Irrespective of whether you think they are true or historically accurate or not, the tales themselves have elements of irony and surprise, good plot and character development, and some decent morals and symbolism. 

In the New Testament, some of the parables of Jesus are great short stories, such as the Good Samaritan, the Prodigal Son, and the story about Zacchaeus. Luke's account in Acts of Paul's sea voyage to Rome is a pretty good description of 1st Century travel.

As far as relevance goes, the story of Esther could inspire any young woman or girl to see that, no matter what her circumstances, her life matters and she can accomplish something significant.  And in this age of xenophobia, racism, and suspicion of anyone different, who wouldn't benefit from learning the lessons of the Good Samaritan? 

My point here is that even if you are not inclined to respect the Bible because of it's more suspect parts, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  There's some good reading in there.  Maybe even a movie idea or two - like the 10 Command ... oh wait, that's already taken!

Dave

I agree with you, Ecurb, read with common sense there is a lot of interest and wisdom in the bible.

Read as the imutable word of a figure of fantasy however . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 

Dave

Quote from: No one on March 09, 2017, 06:03:57 PM
Making it more accurate than one that is losing a billionth of a second per millennia!

:)

Arturo

Quote from: No one on March 09, 2017, 06:03:57 PM

And wrong 22 hours a day, wrong 1,320 minutes a day, and wrong 79,200 seconds every day. But hey, at least it's a clock right?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

If the clock were broken in a different way, like it moved backwards, then it could be right four times a day. If was broken by running twice as fast, would only be right once a day.

On topic though, sure, some of the stories are alright. I find them to be highly outdated though. There are a lot more stories that are much better stories nowadays than what the bible offers. I'd personally prefer people teaching morals from The Twilight Zone than teaching morals from the bible.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

The problem is not that the book is full of myths, parables and stories, the problem is that those stories are part of a package called "The Word of God", and many people take them to be literal Truths.

I like myths in general. There's nothing wrong with stories, I grew up listening to those biblical stories, but took them to be just that. Others did not.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 11, 2017, 11:24:52 AM
The problem is not that the book is full of myths, parables and stories, the problem is that those stories are part of a package called "The Word of God", and many people take them to be literal Truths.

I like myths in general. There's nothing wrong with stories, I grew up listening to those biblical stories, but took them to be just that. Others did not.

Yes, one can learn something about human nature, behaviour, psychology, philosphy etc from the Bible.

But you can do so from Terry Pratchett as well!

:D

Magdalena

My 13-year-old son was awarded a certificate at school.
It says:
This certificate is awarded to, D R-C, in recognition of demonstrating honesty.
I've never taken him to church, I've talked to him about the bible and god, but not in a good way, so where did he learn honesty?
From atheists?

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on March 11, 2017, 07:37:33 PM
It says:
I've never taken him to church, I've talked to him about the bible and god, but not in a good way, so where did he learn honesty?
From atheists?

Well, I assume he learned it from you.  Children do learn from their parents. Where did you learn it?

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 12, 2017, 06:17:48 AM
It says:
From atheists?

Well, I assume he learned it from you.  Children do learn from their parents. Where did you learn it?
I learned it from my grandpa and uncle, both atheists, they raised me.
My man, their father, is an atheist also. I believe his father was an atheist.

Why is so difficult for people to believe that atheists are capable of treating others with respect and kindness without expecting an eternal reward for it? Is it a sacrifice for religious people to treat others with respect and kindness? Would they still do it if they weren't getting a huge reward for it? Would they still do it if no god was "watching them"? Maybe, but I've always wondered...what does a dog do when you take off the leash?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on March 12, 2017, 06:50:26 AM
It says:
From atheists?

Why is so difficult for people to believe that atheists are capable of treating others with respect and kindness without expecting an eternal reward for it? Is it a sacrifice for religious people to treat others with respect and kindness? Would they still do it if they weren't getting a huge reward for it? Would they still do it if no god was "watching them"? Maybe, but I've always wondered...what does a dog do when you take off the leash?
My dogs are pretty good off their leashes. I've taken them for walks like that before.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on March 12, 2017, 08:37:20 PM
It says:
From atheists?

My dogs are pretty good off their leashes. I've taken them for walks like that before.
Don't try it round here, max fine is £2000 if the dog warden or a copper sees you! Never actually seen the fog warden in the 20 years I have lived here though, and most police officers duck away to avoid the paperwork. Never got the prosecutor to take the person whose Rottweiler bit me, on a public path, to court.

(Just to be clear that was "public path" and not my typo for "pubic part"!)

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on March 12, 2017, 08:37:20 PM
It says:
From atheists?

OK. Just to be clear, I was speaking in a metaphorical way.  :shifty:

It must be difficult for some people to be kind to other people so they need to go to church every week. They are reminded every Sunday that god loves them, even if they hate everyone around them and god will forgive them, no matter what. To me, that's like needing a "leash" around your neck all the time to help you "be good." Only they know what they would do to others if this "moral leash" is removed by their master.  :worried:

I'm more like your dogs, I don't need a leash.  :grin:

Magdalena

Quote from: Gloucester on March 12, 2017, 08:50:47 PM
(Just to be clear that was "public path" and not my typo for "pubic part"!)
:lol: