News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

I'm not a feminist, well actually I am

Started by Bad Penny II, March 02, 2017, 01:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dragonia on March 01, 2017, 03:02:59 PMI am not really a feminist like the idea that most people associate with feminism.

I don't like slavery, it seems unfair to me.
I think I've made this post before.
I expect I'll be impelled to make it again.
Women were property, in the dark then
In my life they could do government work
but when they married they had to resign
You've heard stories, female minds denied
Of course they shouldn't be allowed to vote
They don't share a man's mental equilibrium
There are extremist feminists, I've seen 'em
There are extremist atheists, I've read them
It's OK to argue against feminist claims
Just don't use feminism as a cuss word.
Of course you can but you'll ring bells
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Huh, I was accused of being a feminist once, just because I treated a female engineer like she was an engineer.

Met another one yesterday, she heads up the team refurbing a 1925 steam powered bucket dredger. Nice lass, didn't even have dirty fingernails, but her boots looked well used.

Think I am a people-ist.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dragonia

If you call yourself a feminist, there are many who will bash you because you aren't extreme enough, or "active" enough, or if you happen to fit into a traditional role, ...... and while it's good to be challenged in a constructive way,  it's annoying to repeatedly hear that you aren't "enough" in some way.
So it's not a cuss word, just not one that I use to identify myself with. It's too narrow. I support equal rights for men and women, and everyone in between. Do yo' thang.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Gloucester on March 02, 2017, 02:15:38 PM
Huh, I was accused of being a feminist once,

What a heinous slur.

feminist:Of or relating to or advocating equal rights for women

I find it perfectly understandable that you seek to separate.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dragonia on March 02, 2017, 03:06:40 PM
If you call yourself a feminist, there are many who will bash you because you aren't extreme enough, or "active" enough, or if you happen to fit into a traditional role, ...... and while it's good to be challenged in a constructive way,  it's annoying to repeatedly hear that you aren't "enough" in some way.
So it's not a cuss word, just not one that I use to identify myself with. It's too narrow. I support equal rights for men and women, and everyone in between. Do yo' thang.

Feminist :Of or relating to or advocating equal rights for women
ye that equal rights was an ambit claim, what would be a reasonable % for fems to claim?

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm all for equal rights but I don't self-identify as a feminist, any more than if I think a man ought to have equal rights in a divorce/custody proceeding (which they often don't) that makes me a masculinist.  I'm just for equal rights, so I'm an equalist.

Arturo

I've heard the word egalitarian used before. I'm not sure if I fit the definition of that, I have some contradicting opinions when it comes to equality.

However I've made this next statement elsewhere and was met with an argument to an alternative. (I'm not complaining, I just think it could have been handled better by the arguer.) I don't like the word "feminism". I don't like what it invokes by way of it's subjective meaning. It's ok to have equal rights, that's just not what I think of when I hear the word "feminism".
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

QuoteI've heard the word egalitarian used before.

"Egality, fraternity, liberty!"

Oops, they left out "sorority". Well, Nicholas Chauvin was French after all . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74