News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Hydraulics? Pneumatics? Screw actuators? Nah, just get knitting!

Started by Dave, March 02, 2017, 06:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Need a bit more muscle? Maybe one day you can just slip on a nice, slinky jumper (and a battery pack) and get power lifting.

A cellulose yarn with a special coating, when knitted or woven, may one day form "muscles" for the disabled, and probably other uses.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/01/watch-knitted-muscle-could-power-supersuits-future

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

Neat. And cellulose would be a cheap material.

I remember playing with "memory wire" when I was a kid. Bend it out of shape, apply heat or electricity, and it resumes it's original shape.

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on March 02, 2017, 08:20:15 PM
Neat. And cellulose would be a cheap material.

I remember playing with "memory wire" when I was a kid. Bend it out of shape, apply heat or electricity, and it resumes it's original shape.

Used to have a pair of memory metal spectacles, you could scrunch them up, sit on them, nothing would damage the frame - except a hot air gun would  turn them into a pretzel (I was told).

Fascinating stuff, they made a glass house ventilator with a memmet sensor/actuator and I saw a prototype pump system that used the sun's heat and the cooler water to motivate it. Sterling engine worked better though.

Arturo

Does that mean I can be a bodybuilder with out steroids? Maybe look like this guy?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Recusant

I would have been interested in seeing the stuff in action, but the video only included still images of it.  >:(
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on March 02, 2017, 09:09:25 PM
I would have been interested in seeing the stuff in action, but the video only included still images of it.  >:(

Yes, shame that, perhaps its present perfomance is less than impressive? 1 mm per kilovolt!?