News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Trappist-1 and Earth-like planets

Started by Asmodean, February 23, 2017, 07:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Asmo's comment: Fascinating.

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has revealed a new exoplanet discovery: the first known system of seven Earth-size planets around a single star. Three of these planets are firmly located in the habitable zone, the area around the parent star where a rocky planet is most likely to have liquid water.

The discovery sets a new record for greatest number of habitable-zone planets found around a single star outside our solar system. All of these seven planets could have liquid water–key to life as we know it–under the right atmospheric conditions, but the chances are highest with the three in the habitable zone.

Source
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

One of the team, on the BBC yesterdsy, spoke of attempts to find out any possible atmophere and its make-up. Seemed confident they would do so.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

They sure do a lot with less than a percent of tax payer dollars.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Gloucester on February 23, 2017, 08:19:23 AM
One of the team, on the BBC yesterdsy, spoke of attempts to find out any possible atmophere and its make-up. Seemed confident they would do so.

I think I listened to that same interview, in fact toward the end the reporter asked if they had settled on any names for the planets, which currently only have alpha designators, and he said they had a number of good Belgian Beers they would like to name them after, but that was out for approval. ;D

I agree this is fascinating, and it seems only a matter of time, whether with one of these planets or somewhere else where maybe we actually detect life.

Would like to hope or at least dream that conclusive proof of life on another planet is found before I die...that would be cool. So I figure NASA and ESA have about 30 years yet to find life on another planet.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Essie Mae

If there is evolved, intelligent life there, I hope it's more equitable than ours.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Essie Mae on February 23, 2017, 03:36:35 PM
If there is evolved, intelligent life there, I hope it's more equitable than ours.
...and who have figured out how to brew a non-alcoholic beer that doesn't taste like shite!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.