News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Ancient microbes in cave?

Started by Dave, February 18, 2017, 01:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

The pictures might be worthy of the "Wow!" thread!

Bugs from way back?

QuoteFloating in pockets of fluid, the microbes are likely new to science and may be up to 50,000 years old, a NASA researcher says.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

Quote from: Gloucester on February 18, 2017, 01:14:46 PM
The pictures might be worthy of the "Wow!" thread!

Looks like something out of a Sci-fi movie... very cool...

Dragonia

Very interesting article, but this:
QuoteBoston took samples from pockets of fluid trapped inside the crystals in 2008 and 2009, under the auspices of New Mexico Tech. Her team was able to "wake up" dormant microbes in that fluid and grow cultures, she revealed today at the meeting. The organisms are genetically distinct from anything known on Earth, according to her team's analysis, although they are most similar to other microbes found in caves and volcanic terrain.
freaks me out! They better be careful what they bring back to life! I've seen Jurassic Park, all of 'em, and I know what can happen!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Recusant

Thanks for the excellent find, Gloucester!

Quote from: Dragonia on February 19, 2017, 03:24:12 AM
Very interesting article, but this:
QuoteBoston took samples from pockets of fluid trapped inside the crystals in 2008 and 2009, under the auspices of New Mexico Tech. Her team was able to "wake up" dormant microbes in that fluid and grow cultures, she revealed today at the meeting. The organisms are genetically distinct from anything known on Earth, according to her team's analysis, although they are most similar to other microbes found in caves and volcanic terrain.
freaks me out! They better be careful what they bring back to life! I've seen Jurassic Park, all of 'em, and I know what can happen!

Probably you're joking (and I do appreciate the humor) but your idea is also intriguing. I suspected when I read the story that Gloucester found that these microbes would be archaea. Following a link in the story I found a paper from a few years ago about microbes discovered in those caves, and yes, they were archaea. If the little critters that were apparently found inside the crystals are also archaea, which seems very likely, then we have little to worry about, since archaea are not pathogenic to humans.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken