News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Why Are Young Adults So Darn Confused?

Started by Arturo, February 15, 2017, 08:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

QuoteRisky behaviors are a form of identity exploration for some emerging adults who are looking to experiment with possible life paths and relationships, but these behaviors are often a mode of escape for young people who are unable to compete in an increasingly difficult and complex world.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/proceed-your-own-risk/201308/why-are-young-adults-so-darn-confused
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

I always got the impression that young adults, especially males, pushed the envelope as a matter of coyrse as part of their development.

I hafe not read the article yet but I remember something about the human brain "rewiring" itself during adolescence, that there is a temporary period of behaviour changes resembling mental illness for many - temper tantrums, depression, hypersensitivity, delusions of immortality. Been there, done that (60 years ago), what's new?

Oh, all that technology and other cool stuff that might be outside their financial reach, more availability of drugs, alcohol more easily obtained, a more liberal attitude/greater reluctance/inability to discipline by authority. Plus the negative role image that authority figures display so often - sexual offences, fiddling expenses, misrepresenting the facts etc etc.

Could even be a widening reversal in the intellectual gap between girls and boys in some countries - girls are now doing better in maths etc than boys in the UK.

It's just a phase humanity is growing through . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Apathy on February 15, 2017, 08:54:34 AMRisky behaviors are a form of identity exploration for some emerging adults who are looking to experiment with possible life paths and relationships, but these behaviors are often a mode of escape for young people who are unable to compete in an increasingly difficult and complex world.

Meh, there's a lot of disillusionment that should be taken into consideration. There are plenty of highly competent people who have everything going for them that engage in risky behaviour.

Biologically, the average brain continues to develop well into early adulthood, notably the prefrontal cortex, which controls, among other things, impulse behaviour, emotion regulation/cognitive control and executive functions such as planning for the future. In males this region tends to mature more slowly when compared to females, so that might explain a lot. ;)   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on February 15, 2017, 09:22:03 AM
I hafe not read the article yet but I remember something about the human brain "rewiring" itself during adolescence, that there is a temporary period of behaviour changes resembling mental illness for many - temper tantrums, depression, hypersensitivity, delusions of immortality. Been there, done that (60 years ago), what's new?

Adolescence is interesting from a neurobiological perspective. Unused connections are pruned en masse at the start of puberty (adolescence and puberty are not interchangeable but do overlap to some extent) and there is a gradual increase in white matter. However, the idea that adolescence ends at 18 is a social construct more than anything, these neurological transitions can go on to the early twenties for the average brain. 

solidsquid

I always got the impression that young adults, especially males, pushed the envelope as a matter of coyrse as part of their development.

You are absolutely correct.  The prefrontal cortex (PFC) of the brain which is the seat, so to speak, of the executive functions within adults is not fully mature and active until a young male reaches between the age of about 18-21 (I think), give or take a few years.  Females usually have a PFC that is matured before males.  However, the process can persist into the middle 20's.  Other factors notwithstanding, at that age we really do have a different brain function.  This is why people with schizophrenia often have their first psychotic break at the tail end of adolescence or early 20s as dysfunction in the prefrontal cortex dopaminergic system is one of the root causes of the disorder.  When that part of the brain becomes fully "online" it's not wired correctly so you get schizophrenia.

However, environment cannot be discounted as well and kids in the late teens and early 20s grew up in a completely different world from the one even I did growing up the late 80s and early 90s.  As the article pointed out, the world is quite a bit more complex and events often move at light speed - it can be a bit overwhelming which could explain the higher number of psychological problems in Millennials compared to previous generations.

Dave

I remember an actor saying something like, "As I grew into my second decade it was amazing how much more mature and sensible my previously senile father became."

My neighbour's son has yet to hit the spot at age 28.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 15, 2017, 10:30:59 PM
Quote from: Apathy on February 15, 2017, 08:54:34 AMRisky behaviors are a form of identity exploration for some emerging adults who are looking to experiment with possible life paths and relationships, but these behaviors are often a mode of escape for young people who are unable to compete in an increasingly difficult and complex world.

Meh, there's a lot of disillusionment that should be taken into consideration. There are plenty of highly competent people who have everything going for them that engage in risky behaviour.

Biologically, the average brain continues to develop well into early adulthood, notably the prefrontal cortex, which controls, among other things, impulse behaviour, emotion regulation/cognitive control and executive functions such as planning for the future. In males this region tends to mature more slowly when compared to females, so that might explain a lot. ;)

I know a bit about that from researching schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder, which I have. I did not, however, know that it developed more slowly in males.

Quote from: solidsquid on February 16, 2017, 12:23:32 AM

You are absolutely correct.  The prefrontal cortex (PFC) of the brain which is the seat, so to speak, of the executive functions within adults is not fully mature and active until a young male reaches between the age of about 18-21 (I think), give or take a few years.  Females usually have a PFC that is matured before males.  However, the process can persist into the middle 20's.  Other factors notwithstanding, at that age we really do have a different brain function.  This is why people with schizophrenia often have their first psychotic break at the tail end of adolescence or early 20s as dysfunction in the prefrontal cortex dopaminergic system is one of the root causes of the disorder.  When that part of the brain becomes fully "online" it's not wired correctly so you get schizophrenia.

However, environment cannot be discounted as well and kids in the late teens and early 20s grew up in a completely different world from the one even I did growing up the late 80s and early 90s.  As the article pointed out, the world is quite a bit more complex and events often move at light speed - it can be a bit overwhelming which could explain the higher number of psychological problems in Millennials compared to previous generations.

Like I said in the previous section to xSP, I have schizoaffective disorder. I count my psychotic breaks toward enviromental factors but mostly drug use. I was always moody but if I'm in a good enough environment for awhile then I'm told that I am quite pleasant to be around.

Even according to the article and other areas I've looked at, previous generations had a different time than the ones preceding and succeeding it. So that alienates one generation from others. We hold some similarities though. I always hear that millennials are lazy but this article makes me think they just have a different way of showing it.

I also heard that when the millennials were in their prime, that they were different from generation x in that they both seen everything the world has to offer, but they wanted to do something about it, which generation x did not. So it got me to thinking, well if millennials really ARE lazy, then where did their work ethic go? This article provides a possible explanation to the contrary of what people believe, which is why I posted it. It should be noted though that the article is likely only talking about the people in the USA, as do umbrella terms for generations like generation x, millenials, generation z, ect.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on February 16, 2017, 08:21:22 AM
I remember an actor saying something like, "As I grew into my second decade it was amazing how much more mature and sensible my previously senile father became."

I have had the opposite effect.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Apathy on February 16, 2017, 10:32:50 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on February 16, 2017, 08:21:22 AM

I have had the opposite effect.

Me too. I'm thinking it had to do with the fact that I grew more mature throughout my 20s, so was better able to see just how senile and full of bullshit mine is.

No one

Maturity is overrated! I may grow old, but I will never grow up. Life is far too short for that bullshit!

Bad Penny II

I thought the article on balance was rubbish.
The observations are mostly OK but the conclusions suck.
Young males have always been into risk, many signed up for WWI and II for a bit of adventure.

QuoteMany risky behaviors, such as heavy alcohol use, use of illegal drugs, sex with acquaintances or relative strangers, and drunk driving peak during the 18-25 year-old age group. Many people in this age group keep switching college majors, moving into and out of their families' homes, changing jobs, and moving in and out of relationships.

What is it with these people? Why do they take so many foolish risks, and why won't they just grow up?

They're experimenting with life you twat.
Because of their biological imperatives.
They're living fast and full, it's how god made 'em
Why do they later settle for domestic servitude?
It's part of his plan, his wonderful, wonderful plan.
Seth should get real job, do some proper work.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Why are the 40s acting like 30s
Why are the 50s acting like 40s
Why are the 60s acting like 50s
Why are the 70s acting like 60s
Why are the 80s not dead yet?

Davin

I think there are a few constants that apply to every generation.

They say that the younger generations are lazier than them.
They think the world was much better when they were younger.
They think that the previous generation doesn't understand how the world really works.
They think the music they like is the best and all other music is noise.

There are more, but I like the number four.

As for the article, I think we are in a very confusing point in time, not because things are different, but because of the great amount of change. I feel like this has been gone through before, like the Renaissance. So I feel like we will figure out how to handle the influx of thousands of pieces of information a day and once we do, we'll all be better for it.

But for now, if you're coming into adulthood, you're going to have to deal with information overload with a large portion of the information being unreliable. But they are still doing the same kinds of things new adults have been doing for several generations, like getting too drunk and doing a bunch of stupid things. I don't see that part of it as being different, but I think it could be handled better if we stopped trying to get them to abstain and to let them know the true costs and risks involved honestly.

I was told that if I smoked weed that all sorts of bad things would happen. Of course I had friends who smoked weed who were doing just fine. And when I smoked weed, I didn't go into a frenzy and wake up in Las Vegas covered in hooker and magician blood and body parts. I was just fine. Those lies hurt more than they help, because if weed isn't as bad as they say, then maybe (some kids think), heroine isn't as bad as they say either. So maybe fewer kids would go off and become junkies if adults didn't lie to them to try to scare them straight.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Davin on February 16, 2017, 03:22:05 PM
I think there are a few constants that apply to every generation.

They say that the younger generations are lazier than them.
They think the world was much better when they were younger.
They think that the previous generation doesn't understand how the world really works.
They think the music they like is the best and all other music is noise.

There are more, but I like the number four.

As for the article, I think we are in a very confusing point in time, not because things are different, but because of the great amount of change. I feel like this has been gone through before, like the Renaissance. So I feel like we will figure out how to handle the influx of thousands of pieces of information a day and once we do, we'll all be better for it.

But for now, if you're coming into adulthood, you're going to have to deal with information overload with a large portion of the information being unreliable. But they are still doing the same kinds of things new adults have been doing for several generations, like getting too drunk and doing a bunch of stupid things. I don't see that part of it as being different, but I think it could be handled better if we stopped trying to get them to abstain and to let them know the true costs and risks involved honestly.

I was told that if I smoked weed that all sorts of bad things would happen. Of course I had friends who smoked weed who were doing just fine. And when I smoked weed, I didn't go into a frenzy and wake up in Las Vegas covered in hooker and magician blood and body parts. I was just fine. Those lies hurt more than they help, because if weed isn't as bad as they say, then maybe (some kids think), heroine isn't as bad as they say either. So maybe fewer kids would go off and become junkies if adults didn't lie to them to try to scare them straight.

Some people fit heroin into a workaday existence, so I've heard.
The other day there was mention of a link 'tween ice, cannabis and crime.
I know weed isn't so bad so by association a dabble with ice should be OK.

Davin

Quote from: Bad Penny II on February 16, 2017, 03:45:40 PM
The other day there was mention of a link 'tween ice, cannabis and crime.
Hahaha, well yes, when you make having, smoking, and selling weed a crime, you should find a pretty strong correlation between weed and crime I think.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.