News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Chaos In The Brazilian State Of Espírito Santo

Started by xSilverPhinx, February 11, 2017, 12:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Espírito Santo, which translates to Holy Ghost, is yet another bankrupt state in this mess of a country that is Brazil. 

Brazil authorities request troops as violence continues amid police strike.

Brazil state of Espírito Santo charges 700 striking police with revolt.

Some negotiator is on the news right now spewing nonsense. Since the military (including military policemen) are barred from going on strike, their wives and family members have set up barricades which prevent their access to and from military police stations. This douche on TV is going on national television saying that the military men involved have a new "mission" -- basically to put their wives in their proper places.

Such lack of touch with reality is astounding. Where did they dig up this guy with -censored- for brains?

In the meantime, further chaos will ensue and more will die.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

xSilverPhinx

Arturo

Wow that's fucking extreme. How about they man the fuck up deal with their wives?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Apathy on February 11, 2017, 06:02:11 AM
Wow that's fucking extreme. How about they man the fuck up deal with their wives?

I'm surprised by your response, as the wives and family members doing that are not the problem. I may have expressed myself poorly in the OP so I'll try and elaborate. 

The police that patrol the streets and make arrests are part of the military in Brazil. We have a civilian police force but they're more involved with investigative work. By law, the military are barred from going on strike, so these policemen cannot without risking going to jail. That's why their wives are doing this, although a number of military policemen have gone on strike. It's not about "manning up and dealing with their wives", as if it's some weird family dispute that's going on. It's a way to go on strike while not breaking the law. 

The situation apparently has reached breaking point, as there have been a series of attempts to go on strike all over Brazil in the past two years or so but none have gone beyond a few days. The police strike in Espírito Santo has been going on for a week or so.   

It's a complicated situation. There's just no money to pay salaries.

Meanwhile, this illegitimate government are passing a series of measures that will only backfire. :picard facepalm:

Dave

From what I read Brazil seems to be a violent place anyway, though I have no real idea how representative the news items really are of the truth - all the dire warnings about the Olympics seemed to not happen.

But, if accurate, are the number of killings since the strike a real "spike" or just s ripple? Whichever there seems to have been a lot if the media's reporting is accurate. A day ago the BBC was saying, "... at least 95 ...". Plus a tenfold increase in the number of cars stolen.

Brazil sermed to have so much promise back in the days when the term "BRIC" (or "BRICK" if you include S. Korea - without the S) was coined, is that more "RIC" now I wonder? How much is due to the wide economic gulf between "classes", xSP? Or is it just something in the Bazilian  "national personality"?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Brazil's a big country, and some places are more violent than others. Take my home city of Brasília for instance. It's not a big city by any means, but it is the area with the highest income per capita in all of Brazil, surrounded by a number os 'satellite cities' that are poorer and violent, filled with people who migrate from the poorest areas of Brazil. Satellite cities get poorer and poorer, as there aren't jobs for everyone, and that undoubtedly feeds into the violence statistics. Rio de Janeiro is probably the city with most international exposure. Back when the slaves were freed they were "pushed" into the periphery, effectively marginalised, and formed the favelas or slums which are now cesspools of violence, run by crimelords and criminal factions.

Apparently, according to the statistics for the same period last year in Espírito Santo, there have been many more murders, although it seems most people who have been murdered are criminals themselves. They haven't released the real number of deaths yet.

Quote from: Gloucester on February 11, 2017, 11:47:53 AM
Brazil sermed to have so much promise back in the days when the term "BRIC" (or "BRICK" if you include N. Korea - without the N) was coined, is that more "RIC" now I wonder? How much is due to the wide economic gulf between "classes", xSP? Or is it just something in the Bazilian  "national personality"?

Since the 1960s or so, there has been a long-running slogan, that "Brazil is the country of the future." Some add "...and always will be", which is probably closer to the truth.

I think it's a little of both, the socieconomic gulf and "national personality". Some negative cultural personality traits can be exacerbated by hardship. 

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 11, 2017, 11:05:06 AM
Quote from: Apathy on February 11, 2017, 06:02:11 AM

I'm surprised by your response, as the wives and family members doing that are not the problem. I may have expressed myself poorly in the OP so I'll try and elaborate. 

The police that patrol the streets and make arrests are part of the military in Brazil. We have a civilian police force but they're more involved with investigative work. By law, the military are barred from going on strike, so these policemen cannot without risking going to jail. That's why their wives are doing this, although a number of military policemen have gone on strike. It's not about "manning up and dealing with their wives", as if it's some weird family dispute that's going on. It's a way to go on strike while not breaking the law. 

The situation apparently has reached breaking point, as there have been a series of attempts to go on strike all over Brazil in the past two years or so but none have gone beyond a few days. The police strike in Espírito Santo has been going on for a week or so.   

It's a complicated situation. There's just no money to pay salaries.

Meanwhile, this illegitimate government are passing a series of measures that will only backfire. :picard facepalm:

Oh ok. I did misunderstand. I thought the police were dealing with their own wives with military force. Which is why I said they should deal with their wives, not as in go against them but as in support them for their wives and family for sticking up for them. I myself had trouble expressing what I wanted to say because at the time I was having a brain fart so it came out like that.

Any who, what are the policemen involved doing? Are they on the side of their family? I would expect (or maybe wish) that the policemen are doing everything they can to fight for their family.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Yes, I think so. The state government is starting to punish the military policemen now, they're calling it an "unconstitutional revolt".   

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

They aren't working/patrolling, there has been a peaceful march here and there and they're trying to negotiate with the government.

The main fear here is that this will spread to other regions of Brazil, that's why the government is coming down hard on them. There's a high chance they will be arrested and their family members that have barricaded their stations will be subject to fines.

These are, in general, poor families. I think this heavy handed justice is only going to spark more rage among them.  We will see.

Icarus

Today National Public Radio was doing a segment about the Brazilian prison population.  It seems that Brazil is almost a bad as the US in terms of putting people in the prison. They said that the population was ridden with organized gangs and that guns and drugs are a matter of fact inside the prison.  Also Brazil has an extremely high murder rate, including gang on gang inhabitants of the prisons.

I did not want to hear that stuff because I have an interest in that country because it is the main owner of the Amazon rain forest. In addition to that, there are some well educated, admirably moral, and thoroughly civilized people who are citizens there. We even have an important member who lives there.