News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

The Closer We Get To 1/20/17, The Less Safe I Feel

Started by philosoraptor, January 15, 2017, 05:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Comments like "NATO is obsolete" create confusion and anxiety in our own country and with our allies.  Trump thinks he can just start off with a preposterous position and then negotiate a better deal.  I think he's going to find out that negotiating with nations is not the same as negotiating in real estate deals.  Nations have armies, and some of them have nukes, and tremors in the status quo can lead to war and death.  This is not about negotiating the price of a construction project or the interest rate on a loan.  I think he's out of his league, but we'll see.  He's shaking things to the foundation with his statements.  I'm not sure he gets what is at stake.  I think he's completely misjudged Putin, and that Putin is looking for an opportunity to cut him (and us) off at the knees. But again, we'll see. 

Arturo

Maybe we should let Putin cut him off at the knees and spare us.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 17, 2017, 12:14:40 AM
Comments like "NATO is obsolete" create confusion and anxiety in our own country and with our allies.  Trump thinks he can just start of with a preposterous position and then negotiate a better deal.  I think he's going to find out that negotiating with nations is not the same as negotiating in real estate deals.  Nations have armies, and some of them have nukes, and tremors in the status quo can lead to war and death.  This is not about negotiating the price of a construction project or the interest rate on a loan.  I think he's out of his league, but we'll see.  He's shaking things to the foundation with his statements.  I'm not sure he gets what is at stake.  I think he's completely misjudged Putin, and that Putin is looking for an opportunity to cut him (and us) off at the knees. But again, we'll see.

Russia partner with an authoritarian leader and then turn on him? Hmm...

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Quote from: Firebird on January 16, 2017, 11:14:32 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 16, 2017, 08:39:37 PM
But still, out of all that, what does that have to do with how I voted and how I feel about it? Just come out with it already.
I was merely curious because of how heated things got with us before. I'm not trying to score any points, nor do I think we should act like we're on different sides here.
I don't think it was heated at all. At least not from my side.

Quote from: Firebird
Quote from: Davin on January 16, 2017, 08:39:37 PM
What do your inaccurate seemings and apparently not all encompassing memory have to do with what we're talking about?

But apparently all I'm doing is touching a nerve, so I'll just back off. No need to direct energy away from the real problem, which we do agree on.
No, you're not touching a nerve, it just looks like you're after something and are going down the wrong trail. I was trying to help.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Magdalena

Davin

Quote from: Firebird on January 17, 2017, 03:50:39 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 17, 2017, 01:38:05 PM
it just looks like you're after something

I assure you I was not.
So... you asked me a question, but you were not trying to get at something... why ask me a question in the first place then? That doesn't make sense. What was the purpose of your question? If was truly just curiosity, then wouldn't it be better for you get an accurate and clear account?

I don't mind either way, but I highly suspect that you've grossly misunderstood the whole thing. Especially if you think I'm heated or you were somehow able to strike one of my nerves, which is something that not a single person on the internet has been able to do over the last 30+ years (since I was a wee lad on dial up). I mean, I would welcome the new experience if it could happen, but I doubt you're capable of it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Pasta Chick

Mags! Come back! It's a debate about not debating!

Firebird

Quote from: Davin on January 17, 2017, 04:52:01 PM
If was truly just curiosity, then wouldn't it be better for you get an accurate and clear account?
No, not at this point.

Especially if you think I'm heated or you were somehow able to strike one of my nerves, which is something that not a single person on the internet has been able to do over the last 30+ years (since I was a wee lad on dial up).
Ok, if you say so.

Davin

Quote from: Firebird on January 17, 2017, 05:52:44 PM
If was truly just curiosity, then wouldn't it be better for you get an accurate and clear account?
No, not at this point.
What is wrong with this point? I have no issues with being open and honest.

Especially if you think I'm heated or you were somehow able to strike one of my nerves, which is something that not a single person on the internet has been able to do over the last 30+ years (since I was a wee lad on dial up).
Ok, if you say so.
Well, what makes you think that you have stuck a nerve? That I'm confused by your behavior? That I want to clarify whatever it is that you really want to know? That unlike what you have done to me, I have not attacked you personally? I am curious as to what you are basing your claim on. I don't mind your being wrong, but I would still like to know.

Magdalena

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 17, 2017, 05:45:42 PM
Mags! Come back! It's a debate about not debating!

This is so much better than Bob's Evidence For God.

Firebird

Quote from: Davin on January 17, 2017, 07:09:11 PM
Quote from: Firebird on January 17, 2017, 05:52:44 PM
No, not at this point.
What is wrong with this point? I have no issues with being open and honest.
Because I don't think we're capable of having a meaningful conversation.

Quote from: Davin on January 17, 2017, 07:09:11 PM
Ok, if you say so.
Well, what makes you think that you have stuck a nerve? That I'm confused by your behavior? That I want to clarify whatever it is that you really want to know? That unlike what you have done to me, I have not attacked you personally? I am curious as to what you are basing your claim on. I don't mind your being wrong, but I would still like to know.
Why do you care? My opinion is meaningless to you, isn't it? :)