News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

A Little Old Shell Now Has A Home

Started by Recusant, January 13, 2017, 04:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Not surprisingly I suppose, I've never heard of the hyolith, an animal that lived during the Cambrian Period, and probably you haven't either. The first fossil hyoliths were discovered a long time ago, but nobody knew quite where they fit--what other animals they were actually related to. Now, after examining some newly discovered fossil hyoliths, scientists think they can finally classify them.

"Mysterious fossils find place on the tree of life" | BBC

Image Credit: Danielle Dufault/Royal Ontario Museum

A strange animal that lived on the ocean floor 500 million years ago has been assigned to the tree of life, solving a long-held mystery.

The creature has eluded scientific classification since the first fossil was discovered 175 years ago.

The extinct hyolith has a cone-shaped shell, tentacles for feeding and appendages that acted as "feet".

It belongs to an invertebrate group that includes animals such as the horseshoe worm, say scientists.

Joseph Moysiuk, of the University of Toronto, made the discovery after analysing more than 1,500 specimens dug out of rocks in Canada and the US.

"Hyoliths are small cone-shaped sea dwelling animals. They are known from all around the world, mostly from fossils of their shells," he told BBC News.

"They appear in the fossil record about 530 million years ago and survived until about 250 million years ago.

"But the question of where hyoliths actually fit into the tree of life has been somewhat of a mystery for the last 175 years, since they were first described."

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Bits of the puzzle keep dropping into place.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

It's clearly related to the branch which includes ice-cream cones, trombones and fire extinguishers.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on January 13, 2017, 09:30:54 AM
It's clearly related to the branch which includes ice-cream cones, trombones and fire extinguishers.

:lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey