News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Not only fat and bald but arrogant and wrong IMHO

Started by Dave, December 31, 2016, 01:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

["Fat, bald freak" was his own self descciption.]

I will go with the theory that infra-red radiation heats the black side of the vane more than the metalic. Thus it also heats up the nearby gas molecules (Crooke's light mills do not work with a perfect vacuum in them). The heated, and therefore jiggling, molecules hit and bounce off the vane surface - Brownian type motion, thus imparting a net force against the vain. More jiggling on the black side do that gets pushed harder.

When mine was new, before the "bearing" built uo too much friction, I could get it to work just by holding my cupped hands round it, not in contact. Warmth of hands was enough.

Had a friend half convinced it was mind over matter with a little theatrical . . .

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

After about five minutes of this fellow praising himself and proclaiming his superior and unique insight, I went to find out what he means when he says he "literally wrote the book on magnetism." His name is Ken Wheeler, and his book is called "Uncovering the Missing Secrets of Magnetism." It's clear that he's rather intelligent, but that is no guarantee that his ideas are valid. There are plenty of intelligent cranks in the world.

Not only has he figured out the "secrets of magnetism," he also is apparently an expert on the subject of photography:???:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Yes, I did think him evidently intelligent, just whacky with it.

Certainly got enough ego for any ten normal people. There's an angry person in there feeling that the sorld does not appreciate his genius!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Insufferable shithead. Probably superior in junior high school science class.  He is insufferable because he claims to be the only person who understands whatever it is that he understands and I have an issue with that. I would rather bet on the likes of Richard Feynman, Rocky Kolb, Ian Greene, Victor Stenger and some other established  brilliants. (Sad to say that Feynman is no longer with us) I reckon that there are quite a few Physicists at CERN who do know some things about magnetism.