News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

According to Dredge: Abiogenesis is Magic

Started by Dredge, December 30, 2016, 05:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dredge

Quote from: Gloucester on February 16, 2017, 03:33:57 PM
Quote from: Dredge on February 16, 2017, 04:27:07 AMAs a theist, you have no choice but to believe irrational nonsense.  Next you'll be believing that life can come into existence all by the will of woo.
:fixed:
Ah yes, but the difference is, I don't call my leap of faith, "science" - you do.

Furthermore, it is rational to believe that intelligence has an intelligent cause; it is decidedly irrational to believe that intelligence has an unintelligent cause (evolution, for example).  Therefore, my "cause" theology is more rational than your atheist "no cause" theology.

[Repaired quote tags. - R]
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Dave

Quote from: Dredge on February 21, 2017, 05:40:58 AM
Quote from: Dredge on February 16, 2017, 04:27:07 AMAs a theist, you have no choice but to believe irrational nonsense.  Next you'll be believing that life can come into existence all by the will of woo.
Ah yes, but the difference is, I don't call my leap of faith, "science" - you do.

Furthermore, it is rational to believe that intelligence has an intelligent cause; it is decidedly irrational to believe that intelligence has an unintelligent cause (evolution, for example).  Therefore, my "cause" theology is more rational than your atheist "no cause" theology.

OK, same old single issue argument that ignores concrete evidence.

Edited later
I will reiterate the thing you seem to constantly and wilfully ignore: there is no "belief", no "faith" in science - reserve those for the supernatural. There is an acceptance, a current understanding, that a given theory appears to explain a given natural phenomena - for the moment, the door is always open for new evidence to modify that understanding.

For some your theology was "fixed" 4000 odd years ago (ignoring the many interpretations since) and is inpervious to external influence. Well, there are a few clergymen with enough intelligence to question the factual basis of the bible.

[Repaired quote tags. - R]
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Dredge, how long has human intelligence existed in your model of things?

Arturo

There is no use in arguing with him if he runs on circular logic.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Quote from: Dredge
As a theist, you have no choice but to believe irrational nonsense.  Next you'll be believing that life can come into existence all by the will of woo.
So Dredge, using technologies based on the discoveries of science, is trying to say that science is a leap of faith... that is hilarious.

It's funny how all this technology developed on discoveries by science, that works so reliably that people actually get upset if there is a slight hiccup, seems to be ignored by those like Dredge.

Just like the absurdity of a person wearing clothes, living in some kind of building, using a machine with an operating system developed by thousands of people, that that transmits data via electric signals that travel through wires, light, and airwaves, complains about how things shouldn't be allowed because they're not "natural."

Until those like Dredge who go around pretending to know things, corrects these wild inconsistencies in their faulty reasoning, it's difficult not to think them anything but a ridiculous joke. Because just by using these various technologies to troll these forums, Dredge is demonstrating that science is not a leap of faith and is instead highly reliable.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

solidsquid

Dredge

Quote from: Gloucester on February 21, 2017, 09:24:52 AM
5777 years

Dredge

Quote from: Davin on February 21, 2017, 03:20:54 PM
As a theist, you have no choice but to believe irrational nonsense.  Next you'll be believing that life can come into existence all by the will of woo.
So Dredge, using technologies based on the discoveries of science, is trying to say that science is a leap of faith... that is hilarious.
Huh?  It certainly would be hilarious if I said that .. but I didn't; nothing of the sort, in fact. 

Did you have trouble with comprehension tests when you were at school?

No one

Dredge:
Did you have trouble with comprehension tests when you were at school?

Hey Pot, have you met Kettle?

Dave

Quote from: Dredge on February 28, 2017, 11:58:03 PM
5777 years
Does it take intelligence to depict animals as images on cave walls, to develop tools from mere pieces of broken stone to instruments intended for a purpose, to shape a piece of bone into a harpoon to catch fish?

When were such skills, and others,  achieved in your timescale for man?

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Gloucester on March 01, 2017, 10:00:11 AM
Quote from: Dredge on February 28, 2017, 11:58:03 PM
5777 years
Does it take intelligence to depict animals as images on cave walls, to develop tools from mere pieces of broken stone to instruments intended for a purpose, to shape a piece of bone into a harpoon to catch fish?

When were such skills, and others,  achieved in your timescale for man?

fook Dredge

Was the hominid that invented the wheel on par with Einstein and Colonel Sanders?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 01, 2017, 11:32:31 AM
Was the hominid that invented the wheel on par with Einstein and Colonel Sanders?

It wasn't an hominid, it was an equine.
They'd done a deal, we won't eat you if move us and stuff.
So the horsies made wheels to make things easier.
Hominids just increased the load and appropriated the tech.
Horsies evolved to a lower intelligence to cope with their lot.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Quote from: Dredge on March 01, 2017, 12:06:20 AM
Quote from: Davin on February 21, 2017, 03:20:54 PM
Huh?  It certainly would be hilarious if I said that .. but I didn't; nothing of the sort, in fact.

This is hilarious, just look at what Dredge wrote.

Quote from: Dredge[...]I don't call my leap of faith, "science" - you do.

Why yes, it is hilarious when Dredge calls science a leap of faith.

Quote from: DredgeDid you have trouble with comprehension tests when you were at school?
Awww, Dredge tried to insult me. It's kind of adorable. Breaking the civility rules of the forum, but the pathetic attempt is still a bit adorable.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Quote from: Dredge on March 01, 2017, 12:06:20 AMDid you have trouble with comprehension tests when you were at school?

Dredge, the insult above is in contravention of HAF's rule number 1. While you've mostly been able to keep within the rules here, the staff have also refrained from taking action a number of times when your posts have been reported and when you've pressed your luck with comments that appeared to have been posted with the sole intention of eliciting an emotional response.

You've been given two warnings already by the staff, and this is the third. According to the policy of the site, you have now been suspended for two weeks. Assuming you return, please refrain from such personalized negative remarks in the future. We try to avoid banning members here, but if you aren't willing to respect our rules (this includes posting here using a different IP address during your suspension), then you will be shown the door.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

I'll say that I've been impressed with the way that members here have pretty much avoided rising to Dredge's bait, responding to the content of his posts rather than what certainly seem to be intermittent attempts at trolling. Well done. :cheers:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken